Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
If manually inserting a retract for safety I prefer to enter a G53 for absolute machine position rather than G00 which is in the current coordinate offset. The negative for using a G53 is that it moves at the last F speed, so its also good to add an F value. G53 Z0 F300. On some machines I used to use a G28 or a G30, but now I have multiple machines different setups. I actually prefer to modify my M30 macro on each machine to include a G53 Z0 F300 along with an extra M5 M9 just in case. G28 and G30 don't perform exactly the same on every control program. For one machine I rewrote the post processor to insert all kinds of safety and tool change position code. On others I did that in the tool change macros.
G53 and G0 are exactly the same either can be used for the same purpose if your program has and should be programed in G90 there is no difference, not all cam programs can have the post processor changed very easy so you got lucky with what you are using

A lot of controls won't run a G53 without the G0 in the mix ether in a line before or on the same line like G0G53----