584,866 active members*
4,904 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Some days are worse than others

You know those days when you break a drill deep in a part, and you can't get a grip on the stub of the drill with pliers, so you try to save the part by clamping the drill stub in the vise so you can hold it and turn the drill back out, but instead the drill stub dents the vise jaws, so they're no longer straight and parallel?
    Well, even if you don't, I do. Just wanted to share the joy.

Re: Some days are worse than others

This is, of course, the same kind of day that sees you break a tap in the same kind of deep hole, and then Z offset off the wrong reference, and then it's not even lunch yet.
    I really should have stayed in bed today. Feels like the first year I learned machining ...

How's everyone doing? I want to hear some good news :-)

If it helps I ripped a piece of stock out of the vise and snapped of a brand new 3/8 Alu-Power end mill today while squaring stock from the command line.

Things can get out of control very fast for sure.. These guys had one of those days.
    https://www.facebook.com/DnJPrecisio...4066584184740/

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    Things can get out of control very fast for sure.. These guys had one of those days.
    Holy Crap!

Kind of an everyday occurrence here in one way or another.........
    I am blaming my problems on old age??
    mike sr

Thanks guys; I feel better already!

That counterweight through the back of that Haas and then through the walls (plural) -- holy crap indeed! Like an A-10 through a tank ... They were very lucky!

Hmmmmm…….one good reason not to work alone late at night.

Woah! That is a pretty scary situation. My enclosure did help me feel a bit safer - at least until I watched that video.

Wow I'll quit complaining that it was a little chilly in my unheated shop last week. That video is an excellent example of what can go wrong and the consequences. Thankfully no one was standing in the way of what went out through the machine. Thanks to whoever posted their error maybe someone will learn from it rather than learning the hard way.

LOL.....I think after seeing that video a heavy wooden bollock guard would be necessary armour for anyone working near one of those machines.

Recently I was distracted while using my haimer to locate a part and someone asked me a question and when I turned around I accidentally hit return and the haimer headed for my 4th axis. I stupidly tried to grab it and ripped it off its base. Would have been far worse if my hand had been crushed.

QUOTE=jwatte;2288900]You know those days when you break a drill deep in a part, and you can't get a grip on the stub of the drill with pliers, so you try to save the part by clamping the drill stub in the vise so you can hold it and turn the drill back out, but instead the drill stub dents the vise jaws, so they're no longer straight and parallel?
    Well, even if you don't, I do. Just wanted to share the joy.[/QUOTE]

OMG !!! That HAAS with the destroyed spindle, knocked-off vise, and HOLE thru the machine guard, wall #1, chair, and wall #2 ??!!!
    What the hell were they doing?
    20,000 RPM at a 300 IPM federate, straight into the table?
    DAMN!!!

No drama like that haase in my shop. Mostly break simple stuff like taps and drills or maybe the annual Hamier Probe. Even when I do everything by the book, I still end up with a total WTF just happened moment now and then. I end up spending half a day figuring out where it went wrong. And ordering replacements for my favorite cutter. After I get over the gut punch.

Nothing like that has happen at my debris haven BUT I can say with absolute authority that an Edge Finder is not rated to 5140rpm. I have yet to find the end, there is just a lonesome looking spring hanging out of the body.

Further to nitewatchman: a SuperFly is not balanced for operation at 10000 RPM.

OP of the video posted the video on reddit as well. He claimed the spindle malfunctioned causing it to run at 12k. Everybody basically poked fun at him.

He claimed the spindle malfunctioned causing it to run at 12k
    "Malfunctioned" he says …
    Yeah.., that usually happens when you accidentally add an extra zero to the rpm.

He claimed that he checked the program and it looked OK, and they've had other problems with that mill's electronics.
    Whether that's attempting to cover up a mistake, or the absolute truth, who knows?