584,805 active members*
5,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > 4020 Moved and advice.

Post 4020 Moved and advice.

So thanks to members here and previous research over a number of years I have a new to me 4020. Measurements I recieved in my last thread for the spread on the forks probably was right, as well as the 2x3" 1/4in wall tubing at 60" long. Now, most everyone says pick up from the front. I even believe the De Caussin say so as well. However, the hotshot driver who was quite helpful and stuck around said it he would pick up from the rear. So even with 6ft forks they were bending and I was full tilt back just to keep it level. It was quite butt clenching since I had to go down a hill that way.

I used 5/8in plywood on my yard and will be reusing for my interior walls as I finishing my shop. Some bowed pretty bad but put on saw horse to get back to shape in time.
    I bought a toe bottle jack and three 6ton skates from ebay.
    Rented a 10k telehandler(wanted a 12k) and until you boom out it can do it
    Hotshot driver had a nice F350 with air ride trailer

Troubles:
    Logistics!!! Lining up delivery date, weather(spring!), and a rental on same date. Such a PITA!!!
    Machine seller was unwilling to properly block spindle head and put the pipe through casting for the counterweights. Will inspect later.
    Unable to push machine on the skates, because the nylon wheels are deshaping despite what they are rated for. Have the casting on wood blocks currently
    Asphalt driveway did get damaged in spots, however knowing previous owner of house, it was only maybe 2in thick and not a good grade put underneath probably.
    Yard would have been fine but had to unload something unexpected and put somewhere and went off the plywood. Sunk in probably a full inch.

Any suggestions to help move the thing and turn it 90 degrees to put in place would be greatly appreciated! I will post a full rebuild thread/shop build thread later. Just wanted to educate others with what to expect.

Thanks!

Re: 4020 Moved and advice.

Interesting little adventure you have going here sounds like. maybe some helpful Tips in the Fadals manuals https://flintmachine.com/images/uplo...Procedures.pdf

Congrats. Yes, a 10K lift will have lots of flex in the forks. I did mine from the front but I strapped the machine to the mast so it would stay put. With the forks tilted all the way back it was almost level.
    You could have used the Telelift to turn it by putting the fork on the bottom corner and pushing to rotate it. I set my 4020 down on 1.5" pipe and used a prybar and it turned pretty easy.

I didn't use a toe jack. Since I had a place for my rectangle tubing to go thru the base it was easy to get regular hydraulic jacks under it and jack it up.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
    Congrats. Yes, a 10K lift will have lots of flex in the forks. I did mine from the front but I strapped the machine to the mast so it would stay put. With the forks tilted all the way back it was almost level.
    You could have used the Telelift to turn it by putting the fork on the bottom corner and pushing to rotate it. I set my 4020 down on 1.5" pipe and used a prybar and it turned pretty easy.

I didn't use a toe jack. Since I had a place for my rectangle tubing to go thru the base it was easy to get regular hydraulic jacks under it and jack it up.

Richard
    So to update:

I rented a set of good machinery skates and rolled alot easier.
    Pry bar is a great idea and is easy to use more on the back side of the machine so plan ahead if needing to rotate and could do most of this by myself
    You do not need a toe jack if you have high capacity bottle jacks and pry up on the rectangle tubing still passed thru the casting
    I had more than enough clearance between the bottom of my trusses and the Z axis drive while on the skates which were about 4" tall I believe. This is an older Menards building with a 5in slab and measure from concrete to truss at 115"

I will be slower on updates until I have more disposable income to be honest. I will take some of the way covers off and door etc to do inspection and clean. Still need to get phase convertor etc as well.

The machine may have already been rebuilt in some way by a local rebuilder in early 2000's. It is prewired 4th and 5th. Has the high speed CPU, 4meg expanded memory, and other transfer stuff(modem cable). It is the 4020HT model with extended Z. Also it came with all the manuals which I like. I am a tangible guy and don't like using a .pdf