585,744 active members*
4,180 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Chinese Laser Cutter loss of power on Ammeter

Hi,
    I’ve looked all around for a solution to this problem, but can’t find any answers, so as a last resort I’ll make this post.

At my work place we have a Chinese CO2 123W laser cutter (I think it’s a rebrand of this one https://www.bodor.com/fiber-laser-cu...nes/BCL-X.html). It’s been working relatively fine since 2016 but now it has lost almost all its cutting power.

Problem:
    In the middle of a cut the machine went from cutting 4mm birch veneer fine to only lightly marking it. No changes were made before the problem occurred and everything is aligned. When I pulse the laser at 98% power the ammeter only reaches about 6mA now where it used to go up over 40mA before.
    I know a change of the laser tube (and a massive cleaning overall) is long overdue, and we plan to upgrade it to a 150W one, but I wonder if this will fix the problem? Since the power on the ammeter is affected it seems to me that the problem might be in one of the power supplies, but I am far from knowledgeable in this field, and so I come to you.
    Is the power shown on the ammeter a measure of the power going to the tube or the power being used by it (if that makes any sense)? And what can possibly be done to fix this problem?

Here are some reference photos of the machine: https://imgur.com/a/D0kYnKC

Thank you so much for your help!

Re: Chinese Laser Cutter loss of power on Ammeter

Hi Minik
    If you bought a Bodor machine, you can contact their aftersale service by email on the bottom of their website. Or you can tell me where you come from, and I will contact the engineers.

Re: Chinese Laser Cutter loss of power on Ammeter

Yes a new tube is in order.
    I can cut through 5mm acrylic in one pass at 65% power with my chinese 50 Watt tube. I never run my laser at more than 65% power & it will cut through 3mm at 20%. Even a new tube will show a power loss if you are trying to run it at higher power levels & you will significantly reduce the lifespan of the tube. lower your power level down to 20% & try cutting through 3mm acrylic. If that works, buy a new tube & don't run anything over 65% power with the new tube. There are better quality tubes out there but, its a difference between a few hundred dollars & several thousand dollars.