Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
Hi machinedud - In the kitchen oven is not a full SR. Its as good as JIC may have and worth a shot. My wife over the years has put up with me putting various metal, plastic and other substances in the oven. I clean them very well, put them in an oven bag and clear it with her before lift off. Once I got a shed I moved in an old oven that got a good workout making urethane scooter tyres and aging aluminium parts. I'm lucky here as there is a heat treater about 2hrs drive away that does most things and has large ovens for the important things. Peter
i don't have these problems with someone else to clear things with but on a home build most don't probably get into splitting hairs on tolerance. i think if you end up with something in the +/- .005 range most are happy with that since most take these builds on with limited equipment to begin with.if you have a decent mill with some readouts you could probably get something in the +/- .002 to .003 range if you work at it. i guess a lot depends on budget and the quality of the linear motion parts. most rolled ball screws are not able to hold things tight because of lead accuracy to begin with.

i'm not that far into my build yet and the last month or so i was working on my building on some much needed attention. this week it was the flu hopefully this is about kicked so i can get back to work on my own project so hopefully in another month or two i get some things moving around under power.