584,802 active members*
5,113 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Newby

Smile Newby

Hi folks

New to the forum and looking to buy a Chinese unit from Evil bay

3 Axis 1500W VFD CNC 6040 Router Engraver Engraving Milling Carving Tool DESKTOP
    eBay item number:273456844951

Am I doing the right thing with this model?
    Thinking to add the 4th axis down the line if required.

I'm a fitter machinest / toolmaker by trade.
    Had a like CNC experience along the way (self taught).
    Located in Western Sydney

Looking forward to learning some tricks from the forum and contributing where possible.

Cheers, John

Re: Newby

Hi John,
    Welcome to the forum.

That appears to be a machine using the 'PRT 1500' Control Board.
    There alot of posts regarding this machine here. Get yourself a coffee and settle down for the night....
    Here is a recent thread:

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/austr...76816-cnc.html

There machines are very cheap and your experience could vary wildly.
    Some have no problems, some have nighmares.

You will probably get zero help from the vendor. Some don't even seem to send to 'plugin' for Mach 3 to work.
    The version of Mach 3 you get will be pirated.
    There may be wiring issues ( including proper Earthing ) loose terminations, faulty hardware, misalignments....
    or you may receive a perfectly usable machine.

Cheaper machine tend to use the Printer Port, which is getting more difficult to acomadate these days.
    USB is better and Ethernet seems to be the best....

These are all problems that can be overcome, but it is frustrating for a newbie, can cost money and a lot of time.

I think they have 'unsupported rails' for the X and Z axis which mean less ridgidity. ( This amy or may not be problem...depends on what you want to do.

One can re-build the machine with better hardware. ( More money , time, frustration and stepp learning curve. )

You can use it and make improvements along the way, if you wish, but you have to realise that you will reach a point where it is not worth putting more money in to it.

Phew.....think thats most.

I bought a 6040 unsupported round rails 4 years ago. Now the same machine has square rails on all axis. Much better.

If money is tight and you just want to machine soft materials ( plastic , wood, etc ) and you can work through problems and make changes you want, then it may be a goo option for you.

If you just want to have a good reliable solid machine that can machine some metals like brass and aluminium, then you may need to spend more.

I don't want to put you off.....just give you a basis to make sure decision.

Lots of guys here happy to help, but its hard to help from the keyboard.

Good luck

Steve

Hi Steve
    Thanks for the informative reply.
    Yes, the linear guide rails are my concern.
    I plan to machine hard timber and aluminium (fishing lures mainly)
    Which is the better control board?
    Money wise, I'm frugal, however, if I need to buy the better machine I will.
    The only thing that concerns me with the better rails was; they looked like aluminium rails.
    I also have been considering building a machine, components seem to be every where.
    If this turns to be the case what would be the better control board and drives to start with?
    Cheers, John

Hi John,

[I]I plan to machine hard timber and aluminium (fishing lures mainly)[/I]

As you are probably aware, machining Ali is a bit tricky.....especially with these machines.
    You can do it, but everything has to be right...feed, speed, chip size, etc.
    A better machine will make life easier.

Which is the better control board?
    There are many good control Motion boards around at many different price points.. I have only experience with the Ethernet Smooth Stepper ( ESS)
    It depends on what option(s) you want. Generally, I'd say most options that are not chinese would be a good choice.

Money wise, I'm frugal, however, if I need to buy the better machine I will.

Thats the tricky bit.....deciding how much you want to spend.

The only thing that concerns me with the better rails was; they looked like aluminium rails.

They're not....they are stainless steel AFAIK.

I also have been considering building a machine, components seem to be every where.

You will get a much better machine for your money but it will take many months to plan, buy, build, test, debug, replace and finally get to use.
    Lots of people do that. Most seem to buy cheap chinese and then buil they're own once they have found its limitations.....I'm in that boat.
    I will build my next machine.
    Look in the 'T-Slot Building' section of this forum. Plenty of inspiration for you......

If this turns to be the case what would be the better control board and drives to start with?

As I said, there are many....the same with motor drives.
    Leadshine has a good rep, Gecko is another but I am sure there are others.

If anyone thinks I am off the mark, please chime in....lol

These are difficult questions to give definitive answers to.

Again Steve, thanks for the reply, cheers, John

ericks Guest

Welcome John....nice to have another Aussie here

With your trade you should be able to make great parts for your own machine/build. The control panel you could buy from me

Quote Originally Posted by Feralbass View Post
    Again Steve, thanks for the reply, cheers, John
    No worries.....Does your brain hurt yet?....lol

Let us know what you decide.

After thinking about this and with time constraints from family life, other interests and work; I reckon I will do my own slow build unit.
    My main concern is the noise from the router disturbing the neighbors, so I am thinking a DC motor with tooth belt and VSD. Fixed turret moving bed.
    I already have a bit of the gear; aluminium framing extrusion, ER MT collet set and motor.
    It will be a slow build and doing it this way I can build a bigger stronger machine.
    So expect heaps of questions in the future.
    Cheers, John

It sounds like the way to for you.
    Being a Machinist I'm not sure a Chinese Router will do it for you.

Have you seen the T Slot Building Forum?

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/t-slot-cnc-building/

Some nice builds in there and alot of mistakes made and fixed.....lol