585,585 active members*
4,072 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Blackfoot 4x8 plywood made CNC router .. $1000 used..... opinions?
Page 1 of 2 12

Blackfoot 4x8 plywood made CNC router .. $1000 used..... opinions?

hi
    i own a small home/ hobby cnc router ..it works fine for me and im not looking for a larger machine specifically.

however my friend is selling his used Blackfoot 4x8 plywood cnc router and is inclusing the desktop computer, mach3, monitor, and porter cable 890 router as a spindle and makeshift 2x4 based table/stand and is in good working condition

that being said...he said i can have it for $1000

i did some research on this machine and some initial input from me is that retail price is ridiculously overpriced (should be $2000 max new)..all you are paying for is a wood gantry and some basic low ened motors and electronics plus some chain and alum angle iron...thats it

anyways at $1000 it even seems like a price thats not so good...or am i wrong?

should i buy it or walk away...?

any opinions would be appreciated

one thing for sure.....i feel sorry for all the suckers who paid $5000 new for one of these plywood cnc routers....they got ripped off and bamboozled lol

like i said im not looking for a larger cnc router..just wondering if i should jump on this price for the hell of it...(would be nice to have a larger capable cnc router if unique great deal steal opportunity came up) or walk away?

thanks

Re: Blackfoot 4x8 plywood made CNC router .. $1000 used..... opinions?

i would say the router and stepper motors and electronics would be lucky to have a used value of $150

man the more i think about the peiople who paid $5000 for this machine to more upset i get at the company for brainwashing people in their sales tactics...its sad..but hey we are all adults and apparently some are just not able to make wise decisions

ironic that i menttion making a wise decision and here i am deciding if i should buy lol....part of making a wise decision is researching and getting input and thats what im doing now

Good question...I paid about $1,200 in total for the MDF machine I built from scratch. Everything was new...motors, controller, etc. Motors would probably be labeled as low end...but they work.

How much trouble would you have resetting up this machine? That'd be the question I would ask myself. It's got a chain and sprocket that moves the Y...the X too? Looks like aluminum rail (this alone would disqualify the machine for me). If your time is limited, you might be buying something you'll never be able to get up and running. JMHO.

Shelby,

I think you answered your own question.

Which machine do you own?
    Is the proposed machine better in any way?
    Chain drive is probably the least desirable way of motion.
    Aluminum rails will wear down pretty quickly.
    Everything else is not worth much.
    You don't need a large machine.

yes it uses chain drive for x and y and only has only 1 y motor to move the large gantry along y axis ..which seems like a poor design itself..and the motors are only nema 23 425oz..very small considering the size of machine....the electronics look like low end junk..the power supply is a cheap $20 unit lol...and the steppers look like cheap 3A version....and yes it uses cheap alum angle iron and v wheel bearings ...not ideal at all......yes i would have to take apart as little as possible to save integrity of machine..and then transport it to my house and reassemble so that all plays a role in my decision...but not hearing you say hell yeah jump at it tends to say its not a good deal//.....im not looking to just buy...im looking to buy if its a no brainer deal......how can anyone justify $5000 for this machine new is beyond my ability to even comprehend...

im starting to think that if he sold it to me for $500 it would be worth it since it includes mach3 and pc and monitor and porter calbe router..and it would be a win win situation?

i doubt he will go that low..since his dad paid $5k for it new in 2013

hi ....wow this blackfoot must be crap lol.....whos paying 5k for them new???

no i dont need one but would like one if good opportunity came up...to have the ability to make larger projects would be nice..but only if i come upon a steal of a deal

so fair it seems even at 80% off retail....or $1000 its not a good value at all

ok opinions on what price you would buy it at assumiing no other factors than it being too good to pass up?? im thinking about $500

davida this purchase for me has nothing to do with whats better or worse..im just trying to justify if its a deal i cant pass up...so far it seems like its a no go from initial inoput from you guys even at $1000

example..i dont need a car but would like a corvette.... if someone offered me a 2019 corvette for 5k i would buy it period....for no other reason than its a steal and an investment that is a win win...with virtually zero risk

same here..this opportunity came up and i would like a larger cnc router for home use but only if its a steal price...

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby5041 View Post
    davida this purchase for me has nothing to do with whats better or worse..im just trying to justify if its a deal i cant pass up...so far it seems like its a no go from initial inoput from you guys even at $1000

example..i dont need a car but would like a corvette.... if someone offered me a 2019 corvette for 5k i would buy it period....for no other reason than its a steal and an investment that is a win win...with virtually zero risk

same here..this opportunity came up and i would like a larger cnc router for home use but only if its a steal price...
    You have already discovered the machine is overpriced and flawed in design. Unless you are able to build your own out of aluminum extrusions, lots of folks on here Think they can build one and come back with hundreds of very basic design and control questions.... and it never gets built. Otherwise the parts are of no use to you. Go to CNCRP and buy a Pro kit and the prewired control panel. When you get done you will have something that works, instead of spending 6 months to a year attempting to build one. If you have a product to sell, why not make that instead of building??

Below Link for Info only,
    https://www.buildyourcnc.com/blackfoot48v40.aspx
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Computer 150
    mach3 $100
    bearing $100
    router $100
    wood $100
    lead screw and nut 50
    stepper 3x50 $150
    chain and sprockets $100
    powers supply 3x20 $60
    driver 3x40 $120
    aluminum rails $30
    Mis hardware $50
    break out board and wire $50
    Was labor worth anything putting it together and make it work. ????
    I think there is $1000 to $800 value there, but I would have to ask. Do I like the design? I would have to see it in action and do some measuring of accuracy and speed. How long would it take to cut out a cabinet, out of 3/4 wood?
    Ps the parts cost is just a guess.

Thanks for all the input..its obvious at $1000 its not a cant pass up deal...
    what about $500?

also,fyi im not specifically looking to buy a cnc machine...i simply wanted input if the specific model blackfoot 4x8 cnc router was a unique opportunity for me at $1000 used.....guess not

I contacted blackfoot company he gave me specs

36v 9a power supply
    2 stepper motor nema23 425oz
    1 stepper nema34 650oz
    2 stp,drives 4a
    1 step drive 7a
    z travel 7in
    max feed 1000ipm

when i,asked,him why it seems machine is so overpriced and why is it made f plywood he wouldnt answer lol

Forvthe heck of it here is an actual photo of the cnc router my riend wnats to,sell me

Respnse from blackfoot rep
    "
    I personally like wood as compared to metal as it has a lower coefficient of linear expansion through temperature change and the wood that I use is MDO, used in the construction industry for concrete forms and can withstand a great amount of moisture. I built a compost bit in my backyard with this with no coating and has lasted for 4 years without bending or breaking down. We have folks in Hawaii use this machine for their work in the elements and the metal parts are the first break down.

I have customers that use my machines for more than 9 years with great success. I agree that CNCzone is a great group, but they will all be partial to metal machines. I mainly sell to academic institutions, military, military and government contractors as these folks understand the benefits of wood as I understand them. I also sell my machines to scientific institutions, that cannot use metal parts due to their sensitive scientific instruments.

My company was one of the first companies to use wood for machines and I believe, just because this was initiated doesn't mean that it is a poor material for machines. Most folks will be more predisposed to metal just because they has a certain perception. I design also in metal (The Fabricator Pro Machine), but I have not found that there is an appreciable benefit to using metal. Designed correctly, wood can be just as strong as metal.

I guess I just prefer wood. I understand that my machines may not be the best fit for you so I would recommend that you purchase the Zenbot. You will probably be more happy with that machine.

Many thanks and it was great to hear your feedback on my machines and designs, Patrick"

I contacted blackfoot company he gave me specs

36v 9a power supply
    2 stepper motor nema23 425oz
    1 stepper nema34 650oz
    2 stp,drives 4a
    1 step drive 7a
    z travel 7in
    max feed 1000ipm

when i,asked,him why it seems machine is so overpriced and why is it made f plywood he wouldnt answer lol
    Since its all cheap Chinese stuff I doubt if you have over $200 worth of parts listed, new price that is. A parallel port BoB would set you back another $40 or so. The Mach3 license is not transferable, so if you go to upgrade or move to another computer your SOL. If he has VCarve Pro it can be transferred with a letter and I think a small transfer fee.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Hey george...the blackfoot is made out of MDO which is superior to MDF or common plywood
    i doubt the seller will do $500 but at $500 i think its a no brainer?
    or are you guys still not even a buyer at $500?....see photo of actual machine

Hey george...the blackfoot is made out of MDO which is superior to MDF or common plywood

- - - Updated - - -

Respnse from blackfoot rep
    "
    I personally like wood as compared to metal as it has a lower coefficient of linear expansion through temperature change and the wood that I use is MDO, used in the construction industry for concrete forms and can withstand a great amount of moisture. I built a compost bit in my backyard with this with no coating and has lasted for 4 years without bending or breaking down. We have folks in Hawaii use this machine for their work in the elements and the metal parts are the first break down.

I have customers that use my machines for more than 9 years with great success. I agree that CNCzone is a great group, but they will all be partial to metal machines. I mainly sell to academic institutions, military, military and government contractors as these folks understand the benefits of wood as I understand them. I also sell my machines to scientific institutions, that cannot use metal parts due to their sensitive scientific instruments.

My company was one of the first companies to use wood for machines and I believe, just because this was initiated doesn't mean that it is a poor material for machines. Most folks will be more predisposed to metal just because they has a certain perception. I design also in metal (The Fabricator Pro Machine), but I have not found that there is an appreciable benefit to using metal. Designed correctly, wood can be just as strong as metal.

I guess I just prefer wood. I understand that my machines may not be the best fit for you so I would recommend that you purchase the Zenbot. You will probably be more happy with that machine.

Many thanks and it was great to hear your feedback on my machines and designs, Patrick"

I am not a buyer at any price, the cheap parts and the chain drive make it a no brainer.... not to purchase. If its a great deal someone will snap it up.

It's not the material, it's how you use it. You can build a bad steel machine as easily as a bad wood machine. And you can build a really good wood machine, but it takes a lot more work.

Chain drive is absolutely terrible. To get the slop out of it, you have to get it really tight. These machines aren't rigid enough to support a tight chain, so the frame will flex, and the chain will never get as tight as you'd like. And then the chain will stretch, requiring you to tighten it more.

Sure, it might be able to rapid at 1000 ipm, but it'll take 2 feet to get there.
    If you read there forum, you'll see where most users cut in the 100ipm range. The machines just aren't rigid enough to cut faster.

I see on their website that they know say their Greenbull is a much stronger version of the Blackfoot. Even that machine is a toy.

And they now offer a "steel" machine for $17,000. By the looks of it, a CNC Router Parts machine is at least twice as rigid, for half the price.

The one thing they do really well, is get people to pay a lot of money for very subpar machines.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Page 1 of 2 12