585,670 active members*
4,478 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Blackfoot 4x8 plywood made CNC router .. $1000 used..... opinions?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Blackfoot 4x8 plywood made CNC router .. $1000 used..... opinions?

After being told it wasn't a great machine a number of times the OP keeps coming back with any number of "yes,but..." comments.He seems to want it.

The MDO plywood used in the construction of the kit machine is used for sign making and construction. But its still wood subject to expanding and contracting. The worst part is the chain drive.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Shelby, after the posts here and multiple correspondence with blackfoot, it sounds like you have already spent $1000.

$500 sounds good...but only if you completely believe you can get the machine up and running. I designed and built my machine and I know it like the back of my hand. But you don't have that advantage with the machine your considering. If you've even considered that you can spend $5,000 you'd be better off, in my opinion, looking into the commercially available kits that are being built by people on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby5041 View Post
    Thanks for all the input..its obvious at $1000 its not a cant pass up deal...
    what about $500?

also,fyi im not specifically looking to buy a cnc machine...i simply wanted input if the specific model blackfoot 4x8 cnc router was a unique opportunity for me at $1000 used.....guess not

Hi...yes i do want it at right price..im not concerned about how its made or how accurate....here is my question since everyone in here says its such a pos...and not worth $1000 used complete........ who in their right mind is paying 5k for a new one?...please enlighten me lol
    fyi..this,would be just home use not business..not commercial....i do agree that based on the actual components of the machine its not worth much..update...buyer said no to $500.....and note....to me a set of harbor freight digital calipers have great value and do,as,well,as starrett for home use....so if you are going to beat me up on that statement then apparently my needs are diff than yours...and i would have to consider that in your opinions given

Routalot..yes i do want it but only at a price thats great and since i am not familair with blackfootbdesign thata why i came in here for input...ive seen tiny flimsy 1000mm xcarves cnc routers sell all day long used for $1000.....and the motors and elec are nothing compared to blackfoots larger motors and drivers..... So I am now a bit confused on peoples opinions in here..

here is my question since everyone in here says its such a pos...and not worth $1000 used complete........ who in their right mind is paying 5k for a new one?
    People that don't know any better.

If it didn't have the chain drive, then it might worth $1000. But the chain drive is absolute garbage. And everything else is marginal at best.
    The plastic wheels rolling in aluminum extrusion on the X Carve are better than the steel wheels on aluminum angle that the blackfoot uses.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Personally I wouldn’t even consider a chain drive machine.

What is even more important here is to realize that this machine gives wood framed machines a bad name. Viable wood framed machines are perfectly possible for woodworking and can be economical if you have the tools to build the components. However there are a lot of bad designs out there for a general purpose router.

So yeah $1000 for a used machine that was never well designed in the first place is a bad investment.

As for what the vendor charges, it is really a question of staying in business. Any machine you buy is being sold at a considerable mark up over the prices for the individual components. The lower the volume the higher the mark up. Even the cheap low quality home center drill press is being sold at a profit by its Chinese maker.

The thing with routers is that the volume is so low that you see a big mark up to keep the companies building the machines in business. This is also why DIY makes a lot of sense for 3axis routers. The machines are simple enough that they can be easily manufactured in a Modest shop. What most people don’t do is figure out their hours invested and the expense that might add up too at a $60 an hour shop rate.

I don’t knock people for charging enough to stay in business. Frankly we could use a manufacture or two at the low end, that doesn’t go out of business after 3 years.

ironic that i menttion making a wise decision and here i am deciding if i should buy lol....part of making a wise decision is researching and getting input and thats what im doing now

Thanks for all the input..its obvious at $1000 its not a cant pass up deal...
    what about $500?
    Well at some point any machine has salvage value! That is why machines get purchased for their scrap iron value. Honestly though I don’t even see $500 worth of value here. It is by definition used hardware that was of low quality to begin with. Even Mach 3 has been unsupported for years. Then you need to consider if the trouble is even worth your time.
    also,fyi im not specifically looking to buy a cnc machine...i simply wanted input if the specific model blackfoot 4x8 cnc router was a unique opportunity for me at $1000 used.....guess not
    If you have no need for a machine there is no opportunity here. Frankly you are eating around the bush here for a reason that deep down I don’t think you can justify.

If that photo is suppose to inspire someone to buy it is a failure.

I’m not sure why you are so focused on price as the machines ability to do what you need and an actual need for a machine should be primary factors. In any event I would dismiss this machine immediately due to the chain drives.

As for MDO, good quality MDO is great stuff. The problem is how you use it. This frankly applies to all materials. I just don’t see a well designed machine in those photos.

Hey george...the blackfoot is made out of MDO which is superior to MDF or common plywood
    i doubt the seller will do $500 but at $500 i think its a no brainer?
    or are you guys still not even a buyer at $500?....see photo of actual machine

I appreciate all the input....someone else bought the blackfoot for $2000...so its gone....the seller accepted my $800 offer but i was a day late...i was going to buy it but he sold it to,someone else

Younare right though..these comapnies can sell anything to gullable,people....look at the maslow cnc....its a joke and just plain ridiculous but people buy it and pay a lot of money for it.....i laugh at the design

Younare right though..these comapnies can sell anything to gullable,people....look at the maslow cnc....its a joke and just plain ridiculous but people buy it and pay a lot of money for it.....i laugh at the design
    That Maslow thing looks like a death trap super sketchy looking. Reminds me of a chainsaw on the end of a pole.

I appreciate all the input....someone else bought the blackfoot for $2000...so its gone....the seller accepted my $800 offer but i was a day late...i was going to buy it but he sold it to,someone else
    Someone not so smart about CNC and my guess it will be on the market again.... maybe sooner than you think.

BTW MDO board is designed to be used for signs and other projects needing a very smooth surface, I doubt if it its used for concrete forms as its pricey.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Someone not so smart about CNC and my guess it will be on the market again.... maybe sooner than you think.

BTW MDO board is designed to be used for signs and other projects needing a very smooth surface, I doubt if it its used for concrete forms as its pricey.
    The guys I know that do concert just use regular ol' Home Depot lumber, maybe it's used for specialty jobs? Definitely not used for driveways or retaining walls most contractors use what's cheap and available.

found another blackfoot 4x8 used cnc for only $500...

correction $5000

I have a Blackfoot - it's my first cnc and I love it! I got it for $800 and think it's pretty awesome, but it has it's limits. I've made some beautiful signs, and I have zero regrets about buying it. Yes, it's low tech construction, but that has advantages too. I know I can fix anything that goes wrong. I also can upgrade if I feel the need. I say get one, it's a cheap way to get into it. If you don't like it, you won't have any issues reselling it. I just thought you might like to hear from a guy that actually has one. Good luck

Page 2 of 2 12