584,841 active members*
4,264 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

EDM with Camsoft?

Hello,
    Can Camsoft be configured to run a wire EDM? Some controllers will not because inputs from the arc generator have to be used to control the cut speed, not just a simple ipm command. The controller has to be able to slow down, stop, or back up.
    Thanks!
    i build the braces that keep american teeth straight......tick tick tick

This is from the arc generator manufacturer...

So your question can be asked best to Camsoft. I would ask them if the Camsoft controller supports running user customizable code for custom control loops, and if there is an API for reading/controlling inputs and outputs and for continuous feedrate control (backwards and forwards).
    i build the braces that keep american teeth straight......tick tick tick

Re: EDM with Camsoft?

That's the beauty of Camsoft…

You need the devices to give the software 0 - 10 volt analog input signals or logic inputs.

From there it is actually incredibly easy to write any custom code you can dream up to control servos, analog outputs or logic outputs.

Re: EDM with Camsoft?

NelZ,

We noticed that you asked us these questions directly last week via e-mail. We thought since you posted here that we would reciprocate the answers here as well. Thanks.

So your question can be asked best to Camsoft. I would ask them if the Camsoft controller supports running user customizable code for custom control loops
    Yes, there are fully user customizable EDM routines for "controls loops" such as Spark Gap. Monitoring the analog feedback every 55ms and adjusting the power level and axes travel speed on-the-fly in real time. One employee here developed these back in the 1980's because his Dad owned a local EDM shop.

, and if there is an API for reading/controlling inputs and outputs
    Yes, there a CamSoft API called that uses a Microsoft CamSoft.DLL "dynamic link library" that can control every aspect of system including digital I/O.
    Although this is not required. The standard CNC Plus version (the version you have) can read I/O directly on the motion card using text simple commands and also turn on-off digital outputs on the motion card without the need to learn or use the API, which requires the knowledge of C,C++,VB or .NET

Example #7=1' Turn on Digital Output number 7

and for continuous feedrate control (backwards and forwards).
    This is a standard EDM feature of CNC Professional version, which gets live feedback every 55ms as explained above. The axis travel will either slow down , stop or even reverse direction based on the feedback and the user settings.

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    [email protected]
    PH 951-674-8100
    Fax 951-674-3110
    CNC Controller, PC Based CNC Controls