584,871 active members*
5,112 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Wiring Chinese 220V power in US

Wiring Chinese 220V power in US

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to figure out how to get "Chinese 220v" in the US

I purchased some overseas Servo drives for a project that were listed as 220V single phase and didn't think much about it. Quite a while late I am going to wire these in and realize that they are set up for the international 220v which is a 2 wire system, 1 Hot 220v Wire and 1 Neutral Wire

I need to figgure out how to convert my US 220v wiring, L1 110v Hot L2 110v Hot L3 Neutral to being 220V hot on one wire.

I have been searching all night with no answers so any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: Wiring Chinese 220V power in US

Post a picture of the AC connection of the drive.

The following assumes that you are connecting standard USA 240V single phase to a VFD or drive that will accept single phase input, and should have 240V across L1 and N (L2) (as shown on the drawing), L3, if it exists, would not be connected.

USA power translated from Chinese drawings: L1 = 240V hot (many times Black), N (or L2) = the other 240V hot (many times Red). Our neutral (White) is not connected to the VFD, but be sure you properly ground to the ground (Green or bare wire in the USA) terminal. Don't confuse our neutral with the Chinese neutral, Chinese L1 to Neutral voltage is 220V. Also, China uses Green for a hot wire (L1 normally) and Green/Yellow Stripe for ground. So don't confuse a Chinese green and our ground.

Our standard voltage is 240V, Chinese is 220V
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

It's technically split phase and 120v black wire and 120v red wire 180 degrees out giving you 240v to the response above.

We would need to see what the drive is to confirm and the manual should tell you if it's ok to wire this way as well. We need more information to safely give you good information.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    It's technically split phase and 120v black wire and 120v red wire 180 degrees out giving you 240v to the response above.

We would need to see what the drive is to confirm and the manual should tell you if it's ok to wire this way as well. We need more information to safely give you good information.
    Here is the link to the PDF manual:

http://www.xsimulator.net/community/attachments/sd-series-driver-user-manual-pdf.9013/

The drives model number is: sdb08nk0

I understand that it is expecting one wire and neutral that measure 220 accross them where I only have 2 wire and neutral where hot to neutral measures 110.

Is it possible to to connect both hots from my power to L and N on the drive and not use the neutral?

The neutral label refers to locations such as UK, Australia etc.
    In US (N.A.) the 240v is derived from both live conductors, L1 & L2, as others have said, you do NOT use the neutral.
    Outlets such as Dryer etc, use the 240v supply.
    Al,
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The neutral label refers to locations such as UK, Australia etc.
    In US (N.A.) the 240v is derived from both live conductors, L1 & L2, as others have said, you do NOT use the neutral.
    Outlets such as Dryer etc, use the 240v supply.
    Al,
    Al so I should be ok to just connect my two hots to L and N?

I also checked to make sure there was not continuity between N and the case as a precaution.

Yes, the N terminal is used for one of the live conductors, no neutral.
    Yes there should be no continuity between N and frame, ensure you have a good earth ground.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Yes, the N terminal is used for one of the live conductors, no neutral.
    Yes there should be no continuity between N and frame, ensure you have a good earth ground.
    Al.
    It's alive!

That worked great, I'm trying to figure out now though how to get the jog function on the drive working to test. I enabled parameter 95 to override the servo on command and the servo is now engaged but when activating the jog using the buttons on the drive it shows the RPM as set in the parameter as expected but now movement from the motors.

Anyone have any ideas?