585,582 active members*
4,662 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G0602 Stiff cross slide

Hi,

I am having some issues with my G0602. My cross slide is stiff when I begin to retract the tool (think larger radius).

I took the lead screw out of the cross slide and I can move it through the full range of motion with my hands with no problem, so I assume the gib adjustment is fine. If I loosen the backlash adjustment screw I am able to move the cross slide through the full range of motion, but there's a lot of slop when it gets back towards the center.

Maybe my lead screw is worn or the backlash adjustment is off? The machine is relatively new and not used very hard. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: G0602 Stiff cross slide

I had a similar problem with the cross slide on my chinese 13x40 lathe. It turned out that there was a burr on the edge of the threads on the screw starting about 2" from the end. I took the screw and nut off the machine and threaded them together. The nut would get stiff in the same spot every time. I wound up putting the screw in the lathe and chasing the thread with a triangular file at about 200 rpm. A few passes and the nut would thread smoothly from end to end.

Thanks for the suggestion,Chris. I took it apart again and ran the leadscrew nut along the screw and it was fine. It seemed to rotate freely through the whole screw. Since the slide and saddle will move freely with the screw removed, gib adjustment is good, then I assume there's some issue with the combination of the screw and gibs. Maybe the lead screw got bent while I had it disassembled? I doubt it, but it's possible. That's the only thing I can think of.
    Any other suggestions are welcome. I'll be calling Grizzly support this week.
    Thanks

Try reassembling the cross slide assembly but leave the nut a little loose. It might just be pulled off to one side or need to be shimmed up or down.

I solved this today!

There's an assembly that holds the lead screw and handle to the machine. I was tightening this onto the machine before threading the lead screw nut. The screw would be stuck at some angle that didn't quite match the direction the slide was going to travel in. I assembled the onto the machine somewhat loose, then moved the carriage all the way back, then tightened the assembly onto the machine. Everything moved as normal after this.

I am still able to move my cross slide about 0.0015" by hand. I'm not sure if it was like that before or not. I'm sure it's not helping my surface finish, but what can I expect from a $1200 machine...

thanks!