584,871 active members*
5,239 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > please, how do you check the excentricity for turning tools ? ( cnc, tilted saddle )

please, how do you check the excentricity for turning tools ? ( cnc, tilted saddle )

hello, i recently setup some small parts on a 250mm chuck, and for few operations i use gang/small tools; i have to align them on center pretty well, because they are fragile

i also noticed that 25mm shank tools do have the cutting edge at height 25±0.25, while i was expecting 25±0.1

please, how do you check the alignment, besides cutting a face ? i mean do you use a faster method, which does not involve cutting ? like attached things ? do you know what is their precision, are they reliable ?

image 01 : requires to have cilindrical jaws at a certain position, in order to clamp the device; such jaws should clamp without tir, at least where the bubble is located ( = downtime with jaws preparation, and jaws set-up; is faster to face-cut )
    image 02 & 03 : are not for bent sleighs, but for horizontal

kindly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01.jpg   02.jpg   03.jpg  
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Re: please, how do you check the excentricity for turning tools ? ( cnc, tilted saddl

I use a 0.625'' dowel pin in the chuck or collet. Measure the tool height with a height gauge, measure the station height with gauge blocks, subtract the difference and add the pin radius, and that is the required shims to put the tool point on the spindle center line.

Then I store the dimensions on the computer with this screen in my program. Inputting the tool height and station height and clicking Apply calculates the required shims.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Re: please, how do you check the excentricity for turning tools ? ( cnc, tilted saddl

I found this on the internet and made one myself. If the lathe is horizontal, it works like a dream,

Quote Originally Posted by hfjbuis View Post
    I found this on the internet and made one myself. If the lathe is horizontal, it works like a dream,

Interesting. Actually not limited to horizontal x travel. Could be designed to account for slant bed if you know the exact angle. I think I'll make one for my mill turn setup which has vertical x travel when turning. The bubble level just needs to be horizontal when the stop is resting on the tool tip. Luckily for me, I don't need to trial and error with shims. Jog it in to level with 3rd axis

Could be designed to account for slant bed
    yes, i could craft one, but i wish to buy it / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg