585,938 active members*
3,177 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Getting single phase 220v and 110v from 3 phase 220v
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You need a neutral for 120v single phase which you can split from any of you main 240v supply if you live in NA then you have120 / 240v single phase supply not 220v

Don't believe what they are telling you about the RPC, there is not an RPC made, does not matter what brand or manufacture they will not be even close to 1% even the CNC grade RPC

No you can not run the low legs to Ground lots of smoke and Brakers would trip if you short a live wires of anything

Now if you where talking Phase Perfect then there digital phase converter can easy give you clean 3Ph power @ 98% efficiency

Who is the manufacture of the servo drive most 3Ph servo drives will run on single yours would be at the top of the range for single phase though but worth a try
    Mactec54 Yes I have single phase 240v. I'm not running the low legs to ground, as I value my life lol. What I am doing is running the 2 hot legs of my 240v single phase to the L and N terminals on my drive.

Also I was not talking about RPC at 1% I was referring to the phase technologies phase perfect converter.

Also what you said in regards to passing the neutral through is what I was trying to find out. That's something they offer? If I did that and brought the neutral in then I should be able to run the 110v single between the neutral and one of the non manufactured legs correct?

There isn't an issue with bringing along the neutral in a Delta configuration?

Re: Getting single phase 220v and 110v from 3 phase 220v

Quote Originally Posted by PIVOTALCUSTOMS View Post
    Mactec54 Yes I have single phase 240v. I'm not running the low legs to ground, as I value my life lol. What I am doing is running the 2 hot legs of my 240v single phase to the L and N terminals on my drive.

Also I was not talking about RPC at 1% I was referring to the phase technologies phase perfect converter.

Also what you said in regards to passing the neutral through is what I was trying to find out. That's something they offer? If I did that and brought the neutral in then I should be able to run the 110v single between the neutral and one of the non manufactured legs correct?

There isn't an issue with bringing along the neutral in a Delta configuration?

Correct

I don't know if they offer that but if you tell them what you want to do I'm sure they could add an isolated lug or terminal block for the Neutral wire, or you could do it yourself as well

No it's not a problem as long as you take your ( 1 ) 120v hot leg from the input Power side of the Phase Perfect and not from the output

You also could run separate 120v circuit from the power supply panel that is feeding the Phase Perfect, as long as you use the same Ground connection as the Phase Perfect you would be fine also
    Mactec54

Pivotalcustoms The T1 & T2 is passed right through after the initial contactor, so there should be no reason why you could not use one of these for a moderate 120v current as it does not influence the 3phase output.
    Al.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PhasePerfect.jpg  
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Pivotalcustoms The T1 & T2 is passed right through after the initial contactor, so there should be no reason why you could not use one of these for a moderate 120v current as it does not influence the 3phase output.
    Al.
    No that would not be very good because when you shut the Phase Perfect down the computer would also turn off, he needs to take his 120v line before the contactor which he can wire straight from the contactor cable / wire mounting lug so it needs to be independent of the 3Ph supply

He would have to also add a GFI Breaker at that point as well for the 120v line
    Mactec54

Like I said in a previous post, why not power the computer with a completely separate source. That way the computer can be used with the rest of the system powered down. That's the way I have my machines set up.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Like I said in a previous post, why not power the computer with a completely separate source. That way the computer can be used with the rest of the system powered down. That's the way I have my machines set up.
    It is separate but from the same source which is that correct way it should be done
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Jim and I do the same as well has lots of people. We ran 460 vac 3 phase through out the plant and used transformers to power all the 120/240 volt loads. The lighting in the plant or the entire complex was 277 volt we even had some HVAC units on 277.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

why not just run your neutral through the phase perfect and wire up a
    L21-20R plug.

if you're too lazy to add another 3 phase contactor in your machine so you can power off the spindle and servo drives while leaving your computer running then whatever, wire up another 120v outlet and plug from somewhere else to run the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Jim and I do the same as well has lots of people. We ran 460 vac 3 phase through out the plant and used transformers to power all the 120/240 volt loads. The lighting in the plant or the entire complex was 277 volt we even had some HVAC units on 277.
    No Transformer is needed It is a very simple 120v circuit
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon_Joh View Post
    why not just run your neutral through the phase perfect and wire up a
    L21-20R plug.
    That is what has already been posted, and is very simple 120v circuit to do in the Phase Perfect
    Mactec54

Page 2 of 2 12