585,715 active members*
4,247 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > off grid X2 CNC without power inverter?

off grid X2 CNC without power inverter?

Hello, I'm trying to find out if it's possible to run my stepper drivers on an off-grid solar system from something like a 24 volt audio power conditioner supplied by deep cycle AGM batterys?
    I thought this might be the best option due to the High RMS values.
    Currently I'm X2 mini Mill controller uses a 400-watt switch mode power supply. The spindle motor is 350 watts and is likely an inductive load. From my understanding I would need a power inverter roughly 7-10 times that in order to start the motor and would still be dealing with roughly a 20% inefficiency converting to AC then back to DC. 7500 watt pure sine wave inverters aren't exactly cheap...
    I'm using the M542T with ST-V2 BOB and 425 oz.in nema 24 steppers.
    Any input on this is greatly appreciated!

Re: off grid X2 CNC without power inverter?

If you have DC power then why would you want to convert it to AC so that you can use a switching power supply to get it back to DC?

I really don't. I don't see at all how it's necessary other than voltage sag while draining batteries. Which was my reasoning for considering using something along the lines of a power conditioner. 20% inefficiency of going through power inverter is a lot.

I'm not sure how much real-world power will actually be used by the three stepper motors along with the spindle motor. I guess that depends on what your Machining and how aggressive the cut. I understand that stepper motors have a regenerative effect and don't use nearly as much power once they cycle a few times.

I think I would skip the power conditioner as well. As long as everything can handle 32v or so (max you'd probably see on a fully charged 24v battery,) and be able to run at 22v or so.
    X2's usually use DC spindle motors, through a simple speed control. Most that I know of use 90VDC motors that are easy to run from rectified 120VAC. If that's what you've got you'd either need an inverter for that (1-2kW might do,) or get creative with a boost converter. Alternately I suppose you could replace the stock spindle motor with something that can run from 24v.

Quote Originally Posted by laminated View Post
    Hello, I'm trying to find out if it's possible to run my stepper drivers on an off-grid solar system from something like a 24 volt audio power conditioner supplied by deep cycle AGM batterys?
    I thought this might be the best option due to the High RMS values.
    Currently I'm X2 mini Mill controller uses a 400-watt switch mode power supply. The spindle motor is 350 watts and is likely an inductive load. From my understanding I would need a power inverter roughly 7-10 times that in order to start the motor and would still be dealing with roughly a 20% inefficiency converting to AC then back to DC. 7500 watt pure sine wave inverters aren't exactly cheap...
    I'm using the M542T with ST-V2 BOB and 425 oz.in nema 24 steppers.
    Any input on this is greatly appreciated!
    First add up the total amount of power you will need, say 2KW etc.
    Second, purchase a inverter that has a pure sine wave output. This is key for any timing circuits / software..

Hope this helps,

Iron-Man