584,812 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Advice On Using 220V Machine With 110V Wall Outlet

Hey guys, I just bought my first laser cutter (yayyy!) and I need some advice on converting my 110v wall outlet to 220v.

This is the machine I purchased: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4060...AbTest=ae803_3

It’s basically a generic 4060 60W co2 laser from china.

I’ve done some research, but due to my lack of knowledge and experience, I am unsure of the best course of action. I see 2 options

- New 110v power supply for the machine, to replace the 220v one. I am unsure if this would cause compatibility issues between the parts inside the machine, or even if the laser would work with a 110v supply. If this would require me to replace the current controller, I’d be totally fine with that. I’ve been looking to buy a new controller anyway.

- 110v to 220v transformer. This seems the most viable option to me, but I am unsure what wattage rating I should be looking for, and if I’m going to have issues with the wiring bottlenecking the amperage flow

Please, if anyone has experience with this, please advise me on the best option, your help would be much appreciated

Thanks for your time!

Re: Advice On Using 220V Machine With 110V Wall Outlet

Before you can decide on a course of action you need to know what the power requirement of the machine is: KW, Watts, or Amps to determine what transformer or other modification you decide on.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

The listing shows it is dual voltage?
    120/230v?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by johnfield View Post
    Hey guys, I just bought my first laser cutter (yayyy!) and I need some advice on converting my 110v wall outlet to 220v.

This is the machine I purchased: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4060...AbTest=ae803_3

It’s basically a generic 4060 60W co2 laser from china.

I’ve done some research, but due to my lack of knowledge and experience, I am unsure of the best course of action. I see 2 options

- New 110v power supply for the machine, to replace the 220v one. I am unsure if this would cause compatibility issues between the parts inside the machine, or even if the laser would work with a 110v supply. If this would require me to replace the current controller, I’d be totally fine with that. I’ve been looking to buy a new controller anyway.

- 110v to 220v transformer. This seems the most viable option to me, but I am unsure what wattage rating I should be looking for, and if I’m going to have issues with the wiring bottlenecking the amperage flow

Please, if anyone has experience with this, please advise me on the best option, your help would be much appreciated

Thanks for your time!
    Check the power supply there may be just a switch to change so it can be used on 120v
    Mactec54

JohnField For that price, I would certainly expect some set up instructions, voltage setting etc.
    Probably comes 220v by default.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

My last laser came 120/240 but the adapter plug included made it fit the standard US 120 volt grounded outlet. The switches on the PS inside were all set to 120 volts. Its all DC inside so thats all you need to do.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Thanks for all your help guys. I just decided to go the easy way and purchased a 3000W step up converter. I guess we'll just see how it goes.

And no, it doesn't have a 120v option on the internal power supply, I didn't buy that one from the website I linked, I guess it must have slight variations with the one I purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by johnfield View Post
    Thanks for all your help guys. I just decided to go the easy way and purchased a 3000W step up converter. I guess we'll just see how it goes.

And no, it doesn't have a 120v option on the internal power supply, I didn't buy that one from the website I linked, I guess it must have slight variations with the one I purchased.
    Just make sure you have a good 120v supply with enough Amps it will require double the input amps for the 240v output
    Mactec54

Did the 110v to220v transformer work?...the manuf of these transformers say they will not work on any US 220v products.