584,812 active members*
5,304 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Newbie Here Need advice on Mill Maintenance

Newbie Here Need advice on Mill Maintenance

Ok I have read SO much stuff on this I really dont know what to do so hopefully you folks can help me.
    I have a Harbor Freight Mill and I use a screwless vice on it. I can run my hand over the table and feel some burrs. I have this machine in an out building and it gets some light rust. I oil it but seems not to help.

So first I hear that you can stone the table to get the burrs off... WHAT kind of stone do I need and grit?
    I also need to get the lite rust off but would like a non toxic solution for this and what are you folks putting on to prevent rust? I have considered gun oil, ok now school me...

Re: Newbie Here Need advice on Mill Maintenance

For deburring the table, use a carborundum stone and oil, like you sharpen knives with. Something like this would work: https://www.nortonabrasives.com/en-u...rit-benchstone

Stones like this are used with oil; "gun" oil would work fine, but if you're concerned about toxicity you could use pure USP mineral oil, like they sell in drugstores for constipation.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    For deburring the table, use a carborundum stone and oil, like you sharpen knives with. Something like this would work: https://www.nortonabrasives.com/en-u...rit-benchstone

Stones like this are used with oil; "gun" oil would work fine, but if you're concerned about toxicity you could use pure USP mineral oil, like they sell in drugstores for constipation.
    So mineral oil will work

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Mineral oil will help prevent rust from re-occurring once you've removed it, but it won't remove rust by itself. Here are some tips for doing that, some of them involving non-toxic household chemicals: https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Rust-and-Corrosion
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Thanks!