584,800 active members*
4,543 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: Acorn and Rays feedback

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    Last time (few months ago) you said they are in business 30 years, wow they getting old quickly that now they are in business 40 years.
    I checked there web site and corrected the years they have been in business, it's on there web site

Founded in 1979 by two Penn State graduates, a computer programmer and a electronics engineer with the vision to create PC based CNC control electronics and software that was user friendly, reliable and affordable. Since 1979 Centroid has grown over the years and supplies innovative CNC Control systems to both a OEM and DIY customer base with a wide variety of CNC applications. Located in Howard, Pennsylvania, USA. Centroid designs and manufactures its own turn key 5 axis CNC machining centers along with CNC control kits and CNC components for both the OEM CNC and DIY CNC marketplaces.
    Mactec54

OK, cool. I like newer and dynamic companies more than old dinasours though but as always it is probably just me.

OK, cool. I like newer and dynamic companies more than old dinasours though but as always it is probably just me.
    Not dynamic when they build there own 5axes machining centers that's a cut above anyone else that offers a first class control for the hobby user, as far as old dinosaurs they did it right the first time, there control is better than most and offers everything that a modern control has and more enjoy

A560 5-Axis CNC Articulating-Head Porting Machine - high-speed cylinder head porting, digitize and port intake and exhaust ports and combustion chambers...
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Not dynamic when they build there own 5axes machining centers that's a cut above anyone else that offers a first class control for the hobby user, as far as old dinosaurs they did it right the first time, there control is better than most and offers everything that a modern control has and more enjoy

A560 5-Axis CNC Articulating-Head Porting Machine - high-speed cylinder head porting, digitize and port intake and exhaust ports and combustion chambers...
    Oh I thought that what I read is that the Acorn can control 4 axis only, so how is the above video relevant?

By "dynamic" I ment how a company acts not their control.

What are they offering with the Acorn that other controls like Mach3, UCCNC, LinuxCNC can't do?

Oh I thought that what I read is that the Acorn can control 4 axis only, so how is the above video relevant?

By "dynamic" I ment how a company acts not their control.

What are they offering with the Acorn that other controls like Mach3, UCCNC, LinuxCNC can't do?
    Of course it is relevant same software different hardware

So why such a stupid question the Company acts just like any other company, have great support for there products, they would not of been in business for 40 years if they had not (wedge)

What do they offer, better control software, the main core of any control, the Acorn which was only hatched for the hobby market, which supports Lathe as well as Mills / Routers
    Mactec54

Of course it is relevant same software different hardware

So why such a stupid question the Company acts just like any other company, have great support for there products, they would not of been in business for 40 years if they had not (wedge)

What do they offer, better control software, the main core of any control, the Acorn which was only hatched for the hobby market, which supports Lathe as well as Mills / Routers
    Hmm, I did not hear that they act so nicely with customers.

I was curious what exactly is better in their control? What I see is that their acorn control has much less functionality than Mach3/4, LinuxCNC, PlanetCNC, UCCNC. The acorn control only 4 axis for more cost than the other softwares which all support 6 axis.
    The acorn can't be customised, everything is "hardwired" while you can customise things with all of the other software options.
    And their support is not free while those other software producers give free and friendly support.
    I don't see these things so much better than the other vendors.

RLWoodie,
    I attended Cronulla High School on the south end of Sydney from 1967 through 1970, so old farts can learn this stuff too.
    Others, it is often left out of the conversation that the Acorn isn't the only controller board that Centroid offers - it's simply their newest one and was developed for the hobby/DIY community.
    And to add to the confusion, Centroid announced recently that they just celebrated their 31st anniversary in business - right in the middle of 20 and 40 - LOL
    I ran Mach3 on Gecko G540's for 5 years, but have given up on Mach3. The last update was over 6 years ago, so it isn't changing. Centroid, and others, have developed new tool paths and techniques, like adaptive tool paths and others. They regularly release new software updates for free. 12.4.18 was just released last week..
    As for the 5-axis argument, my understanding is that the U.S. government restricts the export of 5-axis technology, hence the restriction on the Acorn board. However, with the last and this most recent release, you can in fact slave two steppers off of one axis for a dual drive gantry and still have the 4th axis available for a spindle. It has to do with daisy chaining step and dir signals and some software options for homing the gantry.
    In any case, RLWoodie, I think you'll like Centroid/Acorn if you decide to go down that path.
    Good on 'ya, mate!

I don't think that it is USA export restriction, because Mach3 is also a USA software and can run 6 axis and is sold worldwide.

I don't think that it is USA export restriction, because Mach3 is also a USA software and can run 6 axis and is sold worldwide.
    Mach3 is taking their chances, probably because they don't want to spend months wading through the ridiculous pile of regulations.
    If you want to know, you can start researching EAR part 774. You will likely have to go through several related documents before making any sense of it.
    https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/re...egulations-ear

Mach3 is just Software

Centroid's Software does up to 8 axes and does a much better job with there software than Mach3

The Acorn can be customized to do what ever you want, tool changer, lathe turret, auto lube, coolant, 3D digital probing auto tool offsets and anything you can dream up, 5 axes no but was not designed to do that, 4 Axes is all most need the rest can be done through I/0 , it can be direct connected to the popular G540 and any other PP Breakout Boards it you wanted to do something different
    Mactec54

Mach3 is just Software
    Yes, but it can control up to 6 axis even without additional hardware say LPT port.

Yes, but it can control up to 6 axis even without additional hardware say LPT port.
    Yes Mach3 has been an amazing control software I use it on one machine, it has helped thousands of user get into CNC machining all over the world and will still be used for years to come
    Mactec54

are you running acorn on a router or a mill that was previously running mach ? I'm curious how much of an improvement you've found in the control above mach or the others

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    are you running acorn on a router or a mill that was previously running mach ? I'm curious how much of an improvement you've found in the control above mach or the others
    I'm just doing test right now, before it will be on our machines, have not found any problems with it but time will tell, I run a lot of different controls and software but so far it is at the top of the list
    Mactec54

I'm just doing test right now, before it will be on our machines, have not found any problems with it but time will tell, I run a lot of different controls and software but so far it is at the top of the list
    What is the brand name of the machines your manufacturing? Are they for Export?
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

for G E Brown
    Nice to hear about your time in Cronulla. I originate from WA and went to Northam High School 1948-1951. Northam is about 100 ks east of Perth.
    I am pretty well convinced it will be Acorn but still fiddling with Mach 3 Turning Wizard because I design and build electromagnetic clocks, work in wood and brass, and am looking for some unique brass decorations to increase the wow factor..

Woodie

ericks Guest

I have gone from Mach3 to UCCNC. Might have a look at acorn some day

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    I have gone from Mach3 to UCCNC. Might have a look at acorn some day
    You should definitely check it out, it works great doesn't have issues that the others in it's price range have. It will out of the box control a rotary axis (not in development) and it already has smoothing settings that are adjustable and can be saved for different types of machining 3d vs 2.5d (no issues with g2/g3 moves no pausing on direction changes). You get very smooth reliable motion no jerky motion no issues with complex 3d files. It has a spindle encoder for rigid tapping, 2000 line look ahead, touch screen compatible just to name a few features that you might like.

If you really need more than 4axis you can get one of the higher end boards. Centroid even has true closed loop controllers. Check out the Oak or the Allin1dc the Acorn is just their entry level hardware.

The thing that made up my mind to with Centroid is the software as well as the support you get. It is professional grade that has worked out the growing pains already. They are also aggressively making the software and hardware better. There's been 3 updates this year and they are very close to releasing the expansion card as well as the Router version of CNC12.

I honestly haven't seen any bad reviews from actual user's and a large number of the user's have switched to Centroid from the others that have been listed.

Dan

ericks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    You should definitely check it out, it works great doesn't have issues that the others in it's price range have. It will out of the box control a rotary axis (not in development) and it already has smoothing settings that are adjustable and can be saved for different types of machining 3d vs 2.5d (no issues with g2/g3 moves no pausing on direction changes). You get very smooth reliable motion no jerky motion no issues with complex 3d files. It has a spindle encoder for rigid tapping, 2000 line look ahead, touch screen compatible just to name a few features that you might like.

If you really need more than 4axis you can get one of the higher end boards. Centroid even has true closed loop controllers. Check out the Oak or the Allin1dc the Acorn is just their entry level hardware.

The thing that made up my mind to with Centroid is the software as well as the support you get. It is professional grade that has worked out the growing pains already. They are also aggressively making the software and hardware better. There's been 3 updates this year and they are very close to releasing the expansion card as well as the Router version of CNC12.

I honestly haven't seen any bad reviews from actual user's and a large number of the user's have switched to Centroid from the others that have been listed.

Dan
    Thanks for the information Dan....i plan to build more machines so this would be an option i will look into for sure

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    Thanks for the information Dan....i plan to build more machines so this would be an option i will look into for sure
    No problem Eric, if you ever have any questions or want to see anything in particular on my router just let me know.

Dan

Page 2 of 3 123