585,581 active members*
3,931 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > VMX Tool Changer Leak and Lube Levels

VMX Tool Changer Leak and Lube Levels

Hi
    My 2007 VMX42 is leaking oil out of the tool changer gear box, or around the shaft the arm mounts to (24 Pot tool changer).

Looks like I Have to replace the seal and the o' ring and then reset the arm, trouble here is that I cannot find how to realign the arm, anyone know how this is done?

The other problem I have is there appears to be two oil levels, one with a sight glass and if I am correct one a bit higher up with a clear plastic cover that is held on with SHCS, with what appears to be a level mark inside.

Oil I believe is ISO 32, but where are the two levels filled from as I cannot find a filler plug/plugs?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Best regards
    Burgs

Re: VMX Tool Changer Leak and Lube Levels

Burgs
    Di you figure it out? If not post a picture of the oil levels you are looking at. I can tell you how to fill it and realign the tool change arm. Is the machine running ultimax software or winmax software.?

Hi Powerr
    I think I have worked out the oil levels, the top one I was looking at appears more like a scribed line for the timing, I can see switches and gears behind the Perspex window.
    The tool changer itself is by sight glass and I have found the filling point at the top behind the pneumatic cylinder, I think.

Seal for the shaft should arrive tomorrow, once I remove the arm and replace the o ring and seal I am at the end of my knowledge.
    Ulitmax software apparently, so any help greatly appreciated.

Best regards
    Burgs

The oil you need is 120 to 150 ISO grade gear oil if you have the electric toolchanger. If you have the little perspex cover with the proximity switches then it's electric.
    to re-align the arm, put a tool in the spindle and the tool pocket, send the arm shaft to 60 degree position and then push the arm up onto the shaft so you can engage the 12mm screw underneath to hold it up. using the screw, lift the arm until it can be located around both tools and adjust it to the upper side of the flange on the tools. Begin locking the 8mm cap heads on the arm but only the two side to side on the arm not end to end (so as to avoid causing the arm to go out of true on the long axis. Do the screws a little at a time until they are tight).
    Lock up the remaining two screws and re-check the first two.

Hi Bloke
    Thanks for that, I wil give it a go today all being well, it's electric.

The oil is heavy 120 to 150 ISO, I could not find that listed in any of the manuals I have?

Best Regards
    Burgs

Ditto what bloke said. except I did not know the gear oil ISO.
    Is is a easy job. chain style vice-grips work great for getting the bottom off where the seal and o-ring go.