585,575 active members*
3,960 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Machining Chamfer

Machining Chamfer

I've been learning MasterCAM X and just started working with the solids feature of the program. So far I'm able to face, pocket and contour solid parts but I'm stuck when it comes to machining a chamfer.

What do I need to do to chamfer an edge on a solid? I'm talking about machining a solid that already has the chamfer constructed.

How familiar are you with solid chaining ?

In my previous experience with a situation as you describe I would normally use a solid "loop" chain around the top face of the part on a (2-D)"contour" toolpath with the chamfer feature enabled. Now if you put the desired chamfer size into the chamfer dialog box you will find that Mastercam puts twice as much chamfer as you desired. This is because the chamfer routine is designed for you to chain the outside contour of the part but you chained the top face (because you can't make a loop out of the sides of a part usually). So to make the chamfer come out right you could modify the "stock to leave" value or tell the chamfer dialog to cut a .0001 chamfer.

Does this make any sense ?

Ideally I'd like to see Mastercam allow us to make a "loop" chain that spans over many different solid faces. Currently a "loop" has to be on a single face only.

when I come across situations that I can't easily handle as described above. I use the CREATE CURVE ONE EDGE feature to give some 2-D geometry to chain properly.

here is the simple way, if the chamfer angle of your part matches with the taper angle in the tool.

1. choose create > curve > one edge on the bottom edge of the chamfer
    2. select toolpath > contour & select the chain
    3. select chamfer tool & put the tool compensation type to off

also you can use 3D machining

Quote Originally Posted by rajuiz View Post
    here is the simple way, if the chamfer angle of your part matches with the taper angle in the tool.

1. choose create > curve > one edge on the bottom edge of the chamfer
    2. select toolpath > contour & select the chain
    3. select chamfer tool & put the tool compensation type to off

also you can use 3D machining
    So you know you do not have to create and edge as the solid has one for you. ues the options in this list of 2 but use solid edge and the use the bottom edge. now the trick is this.
    Set the hight to the top edge of the chamfer on your solid and use in the Second contour paramater page at the bottom change from 2s to 2d chamfer and click on the chamfer option under that to set your chamfer.

Let me know if you need a sample. if so what version of mastercam do you want it in.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

What if you have a slope on the part that is not necessarily a chamfer and is at an odd angle. Will any of these methods work for something like that?

There is 3d Chamfer it it may I would have to see a sample.
    Oh by the way if you pick a ball end mill the chamfer option can be used and it changes how it looks at for a ball EM
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .