585,733 active members*
4,922 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Linux CNC vs Dynamotion/KLOP Controller

Hello all, I have purchased a 1998 Fadal 3016L that I plan on restoring and using in my home shop. The CNC is not currently under power as I may need to convert to single phase or get an RPC. Thinking proactively as I’ve never seen the machine run I’d like to have some backup options for the controller if it doesn’t pan out. Even if it does work I’m still considering replacing it due to the expensive/Hard to find OEM parts and 25 year old components. I’m not looking to put in a 6K plus retrofit such as calmotion or centroid.

Some Things I’m looking the controller to do.

1. Retain all the functions as the OEM such as Rigid tapping and use of the Tool changer
    2. Make a robust and dependable system with low maintenance.
    3. Accuracy is definitely important
    4. Work with servo motors and ability to add I/O as needed

I have some basic Python programming knowledge and would be willing to learn C code (not a small task) in order to set it up. I’d rather spend more time than more money on the system that way I learn as much as possible. The two front runners right now are Dynamotion CNC (Preferred for its motion controller, less work on the PC) and Linux CNC (Preferred for its user interface/Path Pilot) although I’m open to other options if the price is right. I’ve never delved this deep into the motion control/ electronics of a CNC before but would really like to learn.

Any help/suggestions is appreciated!

Re: Linux CNC vs Dynamotion/KLOP Controller

You best option would be to use the new Dynomotion Kongo. It is Kflop’s big brother. Several people have converted Fadals with the Dynomotion controller you might be able to get their c programs with would make the conversion painless