584,866 active members*
5,237 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Interested in a new mill

Hi all,
    Right now I have a Tormach PCNC1100 S3. I've had it since April of 2018 and I've been very happy with it.

I am lucky enough to have work for as often as I am comfortable spending time out in the garage. (I'm not looking to turn metalworking into a full time thing and quit my day job, I'm just enjoying the hobby and extra income.) But I feel like I've outgrown the Tormach PCNC1100 S3.

For those of you who made the transition, how long did it take for your Tormach to sell? I'm in Dallas, TX and the only things on our craigslist is a cnc Taig and industrial equipment, so I wouldn't have much competition, but also maybe not much interest.

90% of the work I do is AL6061, there are a few small steel parts, but even the Tormach has been able to handle those. Most parts do not require hogging out massive amounts of material, its just cut to length, shape, and drill/tap. Rinse and repeat 1-50 part batches. So rigidity isn't a huge need, at least not in the way professional machinists talk about rigidity. The main drive for this is some reoccurring work that I am having to pass on because they average 18-26" long with thin deep grooves requiring a slitting saw. This work could be mine if I wanted it, and would pay for a TM within 2 years for just that part. Plus the additional other parts I would be able to work on, I think its worth the upgrade, so I'd like to keep at least 30" X travel, I'm less concerned about Y, none of the parts I've seen have been wider Y=7.5"

This also needs to be able to fit in my standard 2 car garage.

I've been looking at two few options, a used FADAL 15XT or 3060, or a HAAS TM1P.

The re-manufactured FADALs are tempting for their lower price, higher HP spindle, larger capacity tool changer and faster rapids. But then I'm stuck with 3rd party support or DiYing it. Only a 7500 RPM spindle. I'd also probably need a 3phase power converter and I'm not sure I could move it around with a pallet jack. They weight around 6800lbs.

The HAAS on the other hand will be brand new, with a 1yr warranty. Lower power spindle, but 10k PRM, Can be moved around with a pallet jack and supplied by single phase power. Supported from a HFO that's less than 30mins away. An updated, user friendly control software. Upgrade-able in case I need 4th axis or decide I want probing or other features.

I'm also not sure how financing is going to work. I know HAAS does financing for a new machine, but I'm not sure if a used machine re-seller would. I'm also a sole proprietor so I have no commercial credit, I believe I need to become an LLC to start that process.
    After the sale of the Tormach + some cash, I'd be able to put 50%+ down on either.

I know this will be more HAAS biased because of the forum, but I'm in interested in hearing some opinions of others.

TLDR: I know I'm missing out on more and steady work, but I'm not sure how to go about upgrading machines to get it.

Thank you.

Re: Interested in a new mill

I can't address anything regarding your Tormach, never seen one.

We did buy a barely used (122 spindle hours) 2016 TM2-P about a year ago and have been happy with it. The 7.5 HP, 6K RPM spindle has done everything we have asked of it. A dramatic step up from our 10x50 table CNC knee mill which has served us well for several years. Like you we mostly machine aluminum parts, but in this case for our own in-house products. We do some job shop work when we have open machine time.

As far as financing, you are going to finance a new (or used) machine personally, LLC or not, will make no difference. You are not going to get commercial credit unless your name is General Motors, Intel, or some other well established company. Your local bank or credit union would be a good place to start, but I understand that Haas does have a pretty good financing program for small shops. A machine reseller would normally have recommendations and contacts with financing groups that will accept machine tools, but the interest rates are generally not very favorable.

Best of luck.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA