584,837 active members*
5,364 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Alphacam > Surface finish when 3d machining

Surface finish when 3d machining

Hello all,
    I am working on a project that involves 3d cutting a channel 17mm wide, 7mm deep with 3mm rads in each corners with the same size rads at the top of he channel. The channel will be a square with r200 corner sections. the material is a soft a relatively soft plastic that usually gives a good surface finish. i have spent the last week trying to cut this profile but i keep getting score marks in the finished parts. I have been using a 6mm ball nose cutter with spindle spped of around 19000rpm, feed rate of around 14000mm per min. i ended up cutting it out of mdf in the end and finishing it by hand with sand paper, ideally i want to make it out of plastic but i need to improve the finish. any advise would be helpful. The passes in 3d cutting were .25mm and set with optimized cutting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails topsection.jpg   topsection.jpg  

Re: Surface finish when 3d machining

What kind of plastic is it? What sort of mill or router are you using to cut it? When you mention "score marks" - what are those? Where do they appear? What is the intended function of this part?

Some kinds of plastic are just inherently difficult to cut cleanly. Material can melt onto the cutter, or the stuff can vibrate so the cutter can't cut it cleanly. Is this starting out as a solid block of plastic, or are you starting from a long narrow curving piece of it, as illustrated?

Have you thought of cutting the piece in reverse, into a piece of aluminum, and casting plastic into it?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

As You describe, I would do this as "profiled sides" - You have one profile, that You can add to One "Lead-Geometry" - (You do not tell which Machine - but this is the most effecient way, to make the Machine move fast around the Part....)

Quote Originally Posted by camnerd View Post
    As You describe, I would do this as "profiled sides" - You have one profile, that You can add to One "Lead-Geometry" - (You do not tell which Machine - but this is the most effecient way, to make the Machine move fast around the Part....)
    Thanks for the reply guys, I did consider doing the channel with profile on each side. I think I will try this next time. Would you recommend using a ball-nose cutter or straight cutter?
    yes i agree the efficiency of 3d cutting this profile is very bad, i am running this on a biesse klever with a 10x5 vacuum bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Padidaddy View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys, I did consider doing the channel with profile on each side. I think I will try this next time. Would you recommend using a ball-nose cutter or straight cutter?
    yes i agree the efficiency of 3d cutting this profile is very bad, i am running this on a biesse klever with a 10x5 vacuum bed.
    Iwoud definately use a ball-nose cutter - it Will give the best (and fastest) surface :-)