585,758 active members*
4,357 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > General Off Topic Discussions > Need help with Filament Winding Formula Calculations
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Need help with Filament Winding Formula Calculations

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Take a look at this forum post. https://www.rocketryforum.com/thread.../#post-1689467

Where it talks about ''P='', I think that this gives you the dwell in seconds that can be converter to an angular position advance based on the spindle RPM. Or in the case above Spindle RPM = 29.8, thus 360*29.8= 10728 degrees/Min or 178.8 degrees/second.

As best I can tell, it looks like your controller requires a G4 dwell parameter that must be in degrees rather than the normal P= milliseconds or seconds.

Short of replacing your controller with a more standard CNC controller I don't know how to get around this.
    Hi Jim,

Apologies for the late reply, I have been busy as of late. I finally got some down time.

I can definitely add a dwell time in seconds. I am going to do the math and I will let you know if I get some good results later today.

Thank you for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take a look at this forum post. https://www.rocketryforum.com/thread.../#post-1689467

Where it talks about ''P='', I think that this gives you the dwell in seconds that can be converter to an angular position advance based on the spindle RPM. Or in the case above Spindle RPM = 29.8, thus 360*29.8= 10728 degrees/Min or 178.8 degrees/second.

As best I can tell, it looks like your controller requires a G4 dwell parameter that must be in degrees rather than the normal P= milliseconds or seconds.

Short of replacing your controller with a more standard CNC controller I don't know how to get around this.
    Hi Jim,

It has been awhile. I did not get any good results and in the end I decided to swap out the current controllers with better controllers and to have use of a better software.

I will be using LinuxCNC. I heard it is great and after seeing some DIY youtube videos of filament winders that use LinuxCNC, it goes to show that it will work for the task at hand.

I don’t have the controllers in yet so I don’t have much to work with. My priority is getting LinuxCNC installed in a computer.

Do you happen to know a thing or two about LinuxCNC?

Sorry, I know nothing about LinuxCNC. The good news is that there is a lot of support for it in the various user forums.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Sorry, I know nothing about LinuxCNC. The good news is that there is a lot of support for it in the various user forums.
    Thank You Jim, I greatly appreciate it.

Page 2 of 2 12