584,837 active members*
5,332 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Dnc problem

Dnc problem

Hey,

Trying to drip feed a program - and this is what I get:

I can not run the whole program, the machine "runs out" of g-code after few dozen lines. Seems to me like the buffer is full, and the control does not receive any more code (I guess that the control is not "asking" external pc for more code, or is asking, but the computer somehow is not delivering). I get "transfer completed sucsessfully" message on my cimco window. Normaly when I dnc my code, my pc sends first portion of code, progress bar on cimco window stops, then I hit green button and the machine is working ok. But now all code seems to be sent to the machine, although the buffer is full.

Looks to me like Xon Xoff signal is missing.

Looked at my rs232 9 to 25 cable, everything in place like the times it worked.

Checked cimco dnc settings - all seems ok, baud rate, parity, Xon Xoff...

Went to diagnostic mode and ran communication test - it is ok. I haven't had a blind plug for db25 on the machine, so I connected pins 2 and 3 with a bridge, hope its ok (and enough, manual says that's done in the blind plug)

Connected my rs 232 cable on the machine, and connected by bridge pins 2 and 3 on the db9 side, ran communication test again and its ok.

Went to my friend and took his pc with com port, tried it - the same thing happens.

It was all working just fine untill a couple of days ago...

Anyone has any idea, what to try next? I need dnc, I am making mold tools...

Re: Dnc problem

If you are using a USB-RS232 Converter...don't. They are undependable #1
    Get something else like RS232 to IP https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wifi-Ethern...wqKlHN9aQJ2Xkg
    Double check some things about DNCX and DNC too in the manual
    https://itscnc.com/tech%20docs/rs232_dnc.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    Get something else like RS232 to IP https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wifi-Ethern...wqKlHN9aQJ2Xkg

Thanks a lot, man. I am using com port on some old lap top that I use only for dnc... Also I have manual like the one you linked, but it's older. I went through it (troubleshootig

Thanks a lot, man. I am using com port on some old lap top that I use only for dnc... Also I have manual like the one you linked, but it's older. I went through it ( communications troubleshooting). I will try again today some things... Have no idea what's wrong, I need to fix it...

I keep an old laptop with serial just for drip feed. but if you are going to run your business with this machine making molds I highly recommend the Calmotion USB adapter so you can run your code off USB sticks. It's worth every penny.

maybe having a timing issue...page 327
    DNC - A two-second dwell is required between the DNC command and the first percent symbol (%). If the software being used to transmit the program cannot support this dwell time, remove the DNC, DNCX, or TA,1 command from the file and type the command at the VMC before starting file transmission.

DNC - A two-second dwell is required between the DNC command and the first percent symbol (%). If the software being used to transmit the program cannot support this dwell time, remove the DNC, DNCX, or TA,1 command from the file and type the command at the VMC before starting file transmission.

Thanks for advice, man. Replaced and rewired my rs232 cable acc to the manual (this time full handshake), got myself a new lap top, and tried to delay next line transmission in cimco software, and handshake timeout. I can run the program, but it is still the same thing... When the control runs out of lines, it stops. Discovered that, if i match that line sending delay in cimco with feed, I can run longer programs, or I can "starve" the machine with g code up to some point, and get the job done (not in desired way).

I will be back on this problem later today, and I will share the results for someone with the same problem.

Thanks again, you gave me some ideas, I will try some more...

Thanks for advice, man. Replaced and rewired my rs232 cable acc to the manual (this time full handshake), got myself a new lap top, and tried to delay next line transmission in cimco software, and handshake timeout. I can run the program, but it is still the same thing... When the control runs out of lines, it stops. Discovered that, if i match that line sending delay in cimco with feed, I can run longer programs, or I can "starve" the machine with g code up to some point, and get the job done (not in desired way).

I will be back on this problem later today, and I will share the results for someone with the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ginner View Post

I am running programms as I used to. DNC, running the pgm from the control unit... I have no idea what the problem was, I had a friend who came with his computer and we tried and fixed the problem.

Couple of advices for guys with similar problems:

1. Run your dnc from a desktop computer, I tried via some crappy lap top computers. Desktop comps are more stable, I think.

2. DO NOT even try usb to com port converter, it can cause problems you cannot even imagine. I know you already heard this (so have I, but still tried it). It will give you nothing but problems.

3. Somwhere in manual, in section "communications" you have troubleshooting. One good sentence from it: "In our expirience, 1030 board is rearly faulty. Most of the problems comes from a bad connectors, cables and grounding."

That is so correct. In my search of rootcause, I found one of the wires was desoldered.

Regards to all.

Hello all,
    I have searched and tried everything I can think of to no avail. Hopefully someone here has seen something similar.
    '86 Kitamura MC1, Fanuc 10m, old desktop running XP. Smart DNC software.
    When I initially started trying to drip feed to the machine, I was getting buffer overflow alarms.
    I slowed the baud rate, increased the delay, etc. and still had no luck.
    I began searching the web forums and product pages for more information. DNC software companies have parameter settings
    for my control posted (what works well with their SW), so I tried changing things in mine. I have only made it worse.
    When I try to drip a program now,I usually get a few characters followed by PS125 ILLEGAL EXPRESSION FORMAT alarm.
    I cannot even figure out what I changed to get it to this point. When I pull all the safety lines out of the top of the program it will send in perhaps
    100 characters or so at once before displaying the PS125 alarm. I recorded what it received due to it erroring out so quickly. The video shows the first
    maybe 15 lines of the program but all 1s and 7s are missing. I drip fed this machine years ago so I know it can do it but I have fubared the thing so badly
    I'm out of ideas.
    If any gurus here can offer me some advice I will be most grateful.

-James

Quote Originally Posted by JolietJames View Post
    Hello all,
    I have searched and tried everything I can think of to no avail. Hopefully someone here has seen something similar.
    '86 Kitamura MC1, Fanuc 10m, old desktop running XP. Smart DNC software.
    When I initially started trying to drip feed to the machine, I was getting buffer overflow alarms.
    I slowed the baud rate, increased the delay, etc. and still had no luck.
    I began searching the web forums and product pages for more information. DNC software companies have parameter settings
    for my control posted (what works well with their SW), so I tried changing things in mine. I have only made it worse.
    When I try to drip a program now,I usually get a few characters followed by PS125 ILLEGAL EXPRESSION FORMAT alarm.
    I cannot even figure out what I changed to get it to this point. When I pull all the safety lines out of the top of the program it will send in perhaps
    100 characters or so at once before displaying the PS125 alarm. I recorded what it received due to it erroring out so quickly. The video shows the first
    maybe 15 lines of the program but all 1s and 7s are missing. I drip fed this machine years ago so I know it can do it but I have fubared the thing so badly
    I'm out of ideas.
    If any gurus here can offer me some advice I will be most grateful.

-James

Hi,

The most important thing is to find out if your machine is working properly - your communication module. Try to find out if there is some kind of test for it, like I had. If it is ok, you get endless number of possibilities - wiring, com ports, grounding, version of software...

Never underesimate power of reseting the machine - try to unplug it few times in a row for couple of minutes, it can get confused when you try multiple hardware\software changes... That reset helped me to restore the machine initial state, and then the drip feed started working.

Best of luck, man.

Quote Originally Posted by ginner View Post
    Hi,

Never underesimate power of reseting the machine - try to unplug it few times in a row for couple of minutes, it can get confused when you try multiple hardware\software changes... That reset helped me to restore the machine initial state, and then the drip feed started working.

Best of luck, man.
    Thank you for the reply. My machine and computer have been restarted several times since this ordeal started. I restart the computer each time I change a COM port setting as well. The settings/parameters work just fine for transferring full programs into the machine, just not for drip feeding. The garbled code would suggest a possible parity error but when I set the DNC SW to anything other than even, nothing sends to the machine at all and it sits idle awaiting a signal.

Thanks for your time.