584,802 active members*
4,917 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > I am confused about the ground and earth connection for my Huanyang combo

I am confused about the ground and earth connection for my Huanyang combo

Guys need help with a Chinese spindle and VFD I bought (110V 2.2KW) yes I know weak combo but that is what I bought.

The instructions provided by Huanyang say to connect pins 1,2,3 from the spindle to the VDF and makes no mention of #4 which is I think is the ground.

Also the VFD instruction sheet makes a mention to its #9 pin which is earth but does not indicate where to connect it to or any connections to it.

I had purchased a power cord from home depot (2 conductors) but I am going to be sacrificing one of my PC power cords (3 conductors) for this since it is a shielded power cord. Once I get a 3 conductor wire, I Am not sure if the earth wire needs to go to #9 on the VDF or the S.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last but not least there are tons of variation on the internet and some event mention opening my spindle and making sure the ground wire is shorted to the spindle body since it is not from the factory... ????*??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VDF.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	420888

Re: I am confused about the ground and earth connection for my Huanyang combo

I am not sure if the earth wire needs to go to #9 on the VDF or the S.
    Both.

Last but not least there are tons of variation on the internet and some event mention opening my spindle and making sure the ground wire is shorted to the spindle body since it is not from the factory... ????*??
    Yes, you should connect the ground to the spindle somewhere. Doing it through the 4th pin in the plug is the neatest way to do it.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by FoxCNC1 View Post
    Guys need help with a Chinese spindle and VFD I bought (110V 2.2KW) yes I know weak combo but that is what I bought.

The instructions provided by Huanyang say to connect pins 1,2,3 from the spindle to the VDF and makes no mention of #4 which is I think is the ground.

Also the VFD instruction sheet makes a mention to its #9 pin which is earth but does not indicate where to connect it to or any connections to it.

I had purchased a power cord from home depot (2 conductors) but I am going to be sacrificing one of my PC power cords (3 conductors) for this since it is a shielded power cord. Once I get a 3 conductor wire, I Am not sure if the earth wire needs to go to #9 on the VDF or the S.

Any help would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VDF.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	420888

So you ran with the 2.2Kw I can see before your start that this is not going to end well

For a starter you need a minimum of a 25A input power cable, your computer cords are around 6 Amps and a matching Power supply circuit with a Breaker to match, if terminal #9 is marked Ground then that is where you terminate the input power supply Ground, if you put the Ground on the S terminal then you will see the magic smoke for sure
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    So you ran with the 2.2Kw I can see before your start that this is not going to end well

For a starter you need a minimum of a 25A input power cable, your computer cords are around 6 Amps and a matching Power supply circuit with a Breaker to match, if terminal #9 is marked Ground then that is where you terminate the input power supply Ground, if you put the Ground on the S terminal then you will see the magic smoke for sure
    the 2.2KW was on the way by the time you replied on the previous thread. If it runs like **** oh well... I don't think that I can return it.
    Thanks for your input.

the 2.2KW was on the way by the time you replied on the previous thread. If it runs like **** oh well... I don't think that I can return it.
    Thanks for your input.
    It will run but don't expect it to be great at 120v you have to up your supply from a standard 15A to at least a 25A or it will keep tripping the Breaker
    Mactec54

I posted on the other tread. But let me ask you here: If I get a 1.5KW @110V with its 110V VFD, will it run better and hold power as it cuts - I am going to upgrade my 15A breaker anyway somehow
    if possible. what I am gathering from all this is that without the proper current the 2.2KW at 110V will be weak running at 24K RPM whereas the 1.5KW will not be. please correct me I am wrong.

I posted on the other tread. But let me ask you here: If I get a 1.5KW @110V with its 110V VFD, will it run better and hold power as it cuts - I am going to upgrade my 15A breaker anyway somehow
    if possible. what I am gathering from all this is that without the proper current the 2.2KW at 110V will be weak running at 24K RPM whereas the 1.5KW will not be. please correct me I am wrong.
    If they can get there needed current and The VFD can get enough Bus voltage then the 1.5Kw can run better than the 2.2Kw but they are still not great at 110v

You can't just change the Breaker the whole line has to be upgraded to carry the Amps

This is the main problem the Bus Voltage this is what it looks like at 110v output for your spindle

These numbers are from NA supply of 120v / 240v single phase supply

Supply 120v Bus Voltage 170v output to Spindle 110v

Supply 240v Bus Voltage 340v output to Spindle 220v
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If they can get there needed current and The VFD can get enough Bus voltage then the 1.5Kw can run better than the 2.2Kw but they are still not great at 110v

You can't just change the Breaker the whole line has to be upgraded to carry the Amps

This is the main problem the Bus Voltage this is what it looks like at 110v output for your spindle

These numbers are from NA supply of 120v / 240v single phase supply

Supply 120v Bus Voltage 170v output to Spindle 110v

Supply 240v Bus Voltage 340v output to Spindle 220v

I was able to request a return and have it be accepted since I don't have the necessary power requirements. With that said, I order a 1 PHase 110V 13A 1.5KW HY01D511B with a matching Huanyang 1.5KW Spindle. I am going to change my old 15A outlet with a new one. Now here is where I need some help. I bought a 15A plug from my local hardware store where can I get shielded power cable? , can I just use a 15A power cord / plug combo and just make sure the VDF to Motor cable is shielded?