585,753 active members*
4,210 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Post ASKPOWER A131 VFD User Guide/ Manual

I'd misplaced my VFD manual, so I had to look online for settings and found none.
    Now I've found the manual, I've scanned it for anyone else in that predicament.

Enjoy
    Pete

Re: ASKPOWER A131 VFD User Guide/ Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ppeettee View Post
    I'd misplaced my VFD manual, so I had to look online for settings and found none.
    Now I've found the manual, I've scanned it for anyone else in that predicament.

Enjoy
    Pete
    Thanks Pete, very handy to have the manual in the computer. I just bought 2 of these Isacon - Askpower VFDs, like many others I thought I was getting more of the Huanyang brand. I have tested these new ones and they seem to work just fine, simpler set-up than the Huanyang. They appear to have taken over from Huanyang, even using the same model numbers.
    Thanks again.

Regards, Ross.

Here are the settings you need for this VFD and the 2.2Kw spindle

AskPower Parameter Settings For 400Hz Spindle
    Mactec54

Pn01=2 ( Number of Motor Poles )

Pn02=400

Pn03=2 ( VFD Button Control Only ) ( 4= External 0-10v )

Pn04=1 ( VFD Button Control Only ) ( 2= External Control )

Pn05=1

Pn08=15 ( This is adjustable Acceleration and Only a Starting Number )

Pn09=15 ( This is adjustable Deceleration and Only a Starting Number )

Pn010=400

Pn011=100 ( If water Cooled Spindle)

Pn012=400

Pn32=1 ( Set to 3 to Restore Default Parameters ) ( Set Back to 1 to ReSet Parameters )
    Mactec54

Hi mactec54

What does setting Pn01=2 actually do? Why does it need to know the number of poles in the motor?

And, why set Pn11=100? Would that have an effect on the Pn09 setting?

Regards, Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Here are the settings you need for this VFD and the 2.2Kw spindle

AskPower Parameter Settings For 400Hz Spindle
    Mactec54

Pn01=2 ( Number of Motor Poles )

Pn02=400

Pn05=1

Pn08=15 ( This is adjustable Acceleration and Only a Starting Number )

Pn09=15 ( This is adjustable Deceleration and Only a Starting Number )

Pn010=400

Pn011=100 ( If water Cooled Spindle)

Pn012=400

Pn32=1 ( Set to 3 to Restore Default Parameters ) ( Set Back to 1 to ReSet Parameters )

Quote Originally Posted by radial1951 View Post
    Hi mactec54

What does setting Pn01=2 actually do? Why does it need to know the number of poles in the motor?

And, why set Pn11=100? Would that have an effect on the Pn09 setting?

Regards, Ross

You can use Pn0=1 this will show you the Frequency

Pn01=2 that is because the motor you are running 2.2Kw spindle 24,000 RPM is a 2 Pole motor, all of these high speed spindles are 2 Pole, no matter what the size is or if they are air cooled or water cooled
    This will also show you the correct motor speed

Pn011=100 this is the minimum speed your spindle can run, using any other number your spindle will over heat and usually will be damaged, it has nothing to do with Pn09
    Mactec54

Most all VFD Drives have a motor Pole setting

You can use Pn0=1 this will show you the Frequency

Pn01=2 that is because the motor you are running 2.2Kw spindle 24,000 RPM is a 2 Pole motor, all of these high speed spindles are 2 Pole, no matter what the size is or if they are air cooled or water cooled
    This will also show you the correct motor speed

Pn011=100 this is the minimum speed your spindle can run, using any other number your spindle will over heat and usually will be damaged, it has nothing to do with Pn09

thanks for this answer, now I have a 2 questions for you.

I'm trying to control a 1.5kW motor 50hz, which parameter should put on the PN01?

now on display is 50 MHz, but I would like to see the RPM

used a A131 VFD, work really good, im control lathe in linux cnc 2,7

And,
    which is the use of PN13 and PN14? and, values ​​should put for my 3-phase motor 2850 RPM Max, do not lose strength at low RPM

thanks ans sorry for my English, but it is not my native language

Quote Originally Posted by FIJOCUSTOM View Post
    thanks for this answer, now I have a 2 questions for you.

I'm trying to control a 1.5kW motor 50hz, which parameter should put on the PN01?

now on display is 50 MHz, but I would like to see the RPM

used a A131 VFD, work really good, im control lathe in linux cnc 2,7

And,
    which is the use of PN13 and PN14? and, values ​​should put for my 3-phase motor 2850 RPM Max, do not lose strength at low RPM

thanks ans sorry for my English, but it is not my native language
    I will do a list of parameters for your motor which is very different from the above settings
    Mactec54

Thanks You soo much.

vfd A131, this 2HP 1.5KW VFD Variador de frecuencia RATTING PERFECT MOTOR CLOSED-LOOP WHOLESALE | eBay

Motor: 3 phase 220v 2HP 2850 RPM 50hz, but i belive max 60hz maybe.

Linux cnc 2.7 for Lathe

Breakout board USB 6 Axis Interface Breakout Board Adapter CNC Mach3 for Stepper Motor Driver | eBay ( but work very fine in Linuxcnc)
    Used 0-10v speed control

the problem is when I do a threading cycle at low RPM, and loses much force can stop it by hand

if you need any more information, feel free to ask. thank you very much again

Fijo

FIJOCUSTOM

AskPower Parameter Settings For 50Hz Ac motor
    Mactec54

Pn01=4 ( Number of Motor Poles Will Display synchronized speed)
    Pn01=1 Will Display Frequency

Pn02=50Hz

Pn05=3

Pn08=15 ( This is adjustable Acceleration and Only is a Starting Number )

Pn09=15 ( This is adjustable Deceleration and Only is a Starting Number )

Pn10=80Hz ( Max 100Hz Setting if your motor is Good Quality )

Pn11=30Hz

Pn12=50Hz

Pn013=1 ( Be careful with this setting as this can Damage Your Motor )

Pn014=40 ( adjust/ increase to suit for lower RPM Torque, Max setting 100 )

Pn17=30 ( adjust/increase to suit Stopping Max 40 )

Most 50Hz Ac motor can do up to double there Hz rating 80Hz would be a good starting point
    Mactec54

FIJOCUSTOM

AskPower Parameter Settings For 50Hz Ac motor
    Mactec54

Pn01=4 ( Number of Motor Poles Will Display synchronized speed)
    Pn01=1 Will Display Frequency

Pn02=50Hz

Pn05=3

Pn08=15 ( This is adjustable Acceleration and Only is a Starting Number )

Pn09=15 ( This is adjustable Deceleration and Only is a Starting Number )

Pn10=80Hz ( Max 100Hz Setting if your motor is Good Quality )

Pn11=30Hz

Pn12=50Hz

Pn013=1 ( Be careful with this setting as this can Damage Your Motor )

Pn014=40 ( adjust/ increase to suit for lower RPM Torque, Max setting 100 )

Pn17=30 ( adjust/increase to suit Stopping Max 40 )

Most 50Hz Ac motor can do up to double there Hz rating 80Hz would be a good starting point

Re: Askpower VFD settings for FIJOCUSTOM’s motor.

mactec54, you said "Most all VFD Drives have a Pole setting”

That might be true, but the Askpower (Isacon) VFDs DO NOT have a parameter setting for the number of motor poles.

First of all, FIJOCUSTOM’s motor is NOT a 4 Pole Motor, it is a 2 Pole Motor ie 2850rpm @ 50Hz.

But if it was a 4 pole motor, your suggestion to enter Pn01=4 will just display “4” on the readout at 50Hz output, or for example “6” at 75Hz output, because it will think the motor should be doing its "synchronisation speed" of 4rpm (Pn01=4) at the motor’s rated frequency (Pn12), in this case at 50Hz.

When Pn01= other than 1, it requires the entry of the Motor's RPM (synchronisation speed) at its rated frequency which is entered in Pn12. In this case the correct entry is Pn01=2850 and Pn12=50.

When in “RUN” mode, the VFD will then display the calculated rpm based on the current output frequency.

The setting in Pn11 determines how the deceleration braking (turned on in Pn09) will behave. The deceleration cuts out at the minimum Frequency entered in Pn11, even though the manual says it stays on until Zero Hz. Setting Pn11=30 will cause the spindle to coast to a stop from 30Hz.

I think it is potentially dangerous to set Pn11=30 as when running the VFD manually, it will stop its output when you drop the Frequency below that setting in Pn11. You now have an armed and dangerous VFD that will immediately kick off at 30Hz as soon as you increase the Frequency past that stopping point. If you are using a potentiometer to change motor speed you will get a fright!

For that reason, I set my Askpower VFDs to Pn11=5 for the minimum running frequency. That way, if the motor was slowed to a standstill by dropping the frequency, it will start off very slowly if I increase the Frequency setting having forgotten that the VFD is still actually in RUN mode. It is very easy to make that mistake.

Your suggested setting Pn08=15 means the motor will theoretically take 15 seconds(!) to go from Zero Hz to the the max Hz set in Pn10. BUT, it will actually start at the Minimum Running Frequency set by Pn11 (see above) as it is inhibited from outputting anything less than that frequency. This is another good reason to set the minimum frequency at Pn11=5 for example.

With my 1440rpm motors I set my VFDs to Pn08=2 so for a 2850rpm motor I might suggest 6 seconds as a starting point but I think you could end up lower than that, subject to current draw due to the inertia load on the motor. The same goes for Pn09 which could be set to 6 seconds as a starting point. If the VFD does trip the internal overload then increase Pn08 and/or Pn09 as needed.

Separate from all of the above, if FIJOCUSTOM sometimes needs the full power of a 2hp motor, then his VFD should be rated higher than the 1.5kw unit he is using. Perhaps a better choice would be the 2.2kw(3hp) version of the Askpower/Isacon VFD which would give a bigger safety margin.

These Askpower VFDs are not as versatile as the Huanyang VFD even though they look identical. They only have 33 user parameters compared to 180 and 1/2 as many terminals for remote signal input which limits the types of external controls which can be used. But they are cheaper, easy to program and seem to work ok.

radial1951

You really have no understanding how a VFD and motor work,

How do you figure that his 50Hz motor is a 2 pole motor, 2850 is quite normal as a 4 Pole motor there are 4 pole motors that run at 3400 to 6000 RPM, the fact that it is 50Hz tells you what it is, I'm sure his motor is something like the attached PDF, this is just one of many different manufactures, that make motors like this

Pn01 is correct=4 he wanted to see RPM in the readout so it needs to be set at the pole count to do this, Pn01=1 will give you a Frequency readout, and that is what he had, See the attachment, you may have found something that is different with your manual settings, but most of what you are saying though is incorrect

Pn08 and Pn09 at 15s are a good starting point for a Lathe a larger number is always better when first trying a new setup, as you can see in what is written with each Parameter, which can be adjusted to suit his machine, without going into Fault mode, which will happen if the settings are to low

Pn11=30Hz is the minimum speed that the motor will run, for an air cooled motor this is a good starting point, below this 30Hz setting the motor will over heat, this setting has nothing to do with how the motor stops

I'm not going to waste my time going through the rest, post your manual you may have some different information in your manual that we do not know about
    Mactec54

radial1951

You really have no understanding how a VFD and motor work,

How do you figure that his 50Hz motor is a 2 pole motor, 2850 is quite normal as a 4 Pole motor there are 4 pole motors that run at 3400 to 6000 RPM, the fact that it is 50Hz tells you what it is, I'm sure his motor is something like the attached PDF, this is just one of many different manufactures, that make motors like this

Pn01 is correct=4 he wanted to see RPM in the readout so it needs to be set at the pole count to do this, Pn01=1 will give you a Frequency readout, and that is what he had, See the attachment, you may have found something that is different with your manual settings, but most of what you are saying though is incorrect

Pn08 and Pn09 at 15s are a good starting point for a Lathe a larger number is always better when first trying a new setup, as you can see in what is written with each Parameter, which can be adjusted to suit his machine, without going into Fault mode, which will happen if the settings are to low

I'm not going to waste my time going through the rest, post your manual you may have some different information in your manual that we do not know about
    mactec54

I have 3 x Huanyang and 2 x Askpower/Isacon VFDs on 5 machine tools running 3 phase motors, both delta and star connected, from a single phase 240v supply.

I have a reasonable understanding of how VFDs work and are programmed, including running 415v star connected motors on 240v using the VFD's V/F curve to advantage.

You should read the Baldor brochure you just posted. Read page 2 and it clearly states that is a 2 Pole 2850rpm 50Hz Motor. It states it again in the title block of the drawing on Page 8.

The only way you will run a 4 Pole motor at 2850rpm is at 100Hz. The synchronous speed of a 4 Pole motor at 50Hz is 1500rpm. The slip reduces this, usually to between 1425 and 1440rpm. At USA 60Hz this will be 1800rpm and about 1725rpm respectively. The high speed spindles to which you have previously referred are 2 Pole 24000rpm Synchronous Speed at 400Hz. Divide that by 8 and you get 3000rpm at 50Hz for a 2 Pole motor actual 2850rpm. The 3400rpm motor you refer to above is a 2 Pole motor running on 60Hz, it is NOT a 4 Pole motor.

You are using a manual from an old model of that VFD, probably the one that was posted by ppeettee (Pete) the originator of this thread. The ebay link posted by FIJOCUSTOM is for the current model of the VFD. On Page 11 of the current manual it shows Pn01=1 to display the output frequency and Pn01=2---30000 as the motor's "Synchronisation Speed" (actual rpm) at it's Rated Frequency (Pn12) if you wish to display the motor rpm. The above is not to be confused with a motor's Synchronous Speed.

It is obvious you have never used one of these VFDs or you wouldn't suggest 15 seconds as a starting point for acceleration and deceleration times. As I said, Pn08 and Pn09 may require adjusted timing, depending on the motor's load. This VFD easily starts and stops a 1-1/2hp motor on a 12" lathe with both Pn08 and Pn09=2 (seconds).

I believe you saying "You really have no understanding how a VFD and motor work" is neither accurate nor nice. Sorry, but your assertions about electric motors and this VFD are simply wrong.

radial1951

Yes I should of looked at that Baldor motor spec's, it did say 4 pole, so that part you are correct his motor would have to be 2 Pole if it was 2850 But if he is running it at a higher Hz setting already it still could be a 4 pole motor

A lathe would not be much good with a 2 Pole motor, that is another reason I said it could be 4 Pole

No I have more than 60 different VFD manuals, as I repair VFD Drives, I don't usually get any Manuals from the Zone unless it is one I don't have

Post your Manual as I would love to have the latest version, you would help others as well

The Default for Pn08 and Pn09 is 10s your 2s is very good if it can do that for a lathe without a Braking Resistor, you should do a video showing this and the settings you used to do it, that's a very good VFD that can do that, without a Braking Resistor
    Mactec54

Hey guys, thanks for your answers, I'll try to understand everything that you expose.
    Because of the time difference, I try to hang tomorrow as I have set my VFD a131.

motor
    1,5 kw/ 2 cv.
    Rpm: 3000. But max 2850 real
    220/380 V.
    2 Polos.
    Eje: 24 mm.
    Peso: 12 kg.

Now you can see me running around, really the only thing I need is well synchronize the speed to match 100% with the tachometer, I will upgradear with omron encoder 360 PPR 3 phases + index

https://youtu.be/NbKOZwS3rEg

Hey guys, thanks for your answers, I'll try to understand everything that you expose.
    Because of the time difference, I try to hang tomorrow as I have set my VFD a131.

motor
    1,5 kw/ 2 cv.
    Rpm: 3000. But max 2850 real
    220/380 V.
    2 Polos.
    Eje: 24 mm.
    Peso: 12 kg.

Now you can see me running around, really the only thing I need is well synchronize the speed to match 100% with the tachometer, I will upgradear with omron encoder 360 PPR 3 phases + index
    This is not a normal Lathe, if you want to get 2850 RPM then you will have to play with Pn10=50Hz I had this at 80Hz but because you want to control the speed this is the only Parameter you have to play with, this VFD is very basic and does not have very much that you can control

If you are using PWM 0-10v for controlling the VFD, then you can make some adjustment's with this 0-10v this will control the speed also

Depending on how you are controlling your VFD the other is to add the external 5K Potentiometer and adjust the speed with this
    Mactec54

Re: ASKPOWER VFD info

radial1951

Yes I should of looked at that Baldor motor spec's, it did say 4 pole, so that part you are correct his motor would have to be 2 Pole if it was 2850 But if he is running it at a higher Hz setting already it still could be a 4 pole motor

A lathe would not be much good with a 2 Pole motor, that is another reason I said it could be 4 Pole

No I have more than 60 different VFD manuals, as I repair VFD Drives, I don't usually get any Manuals from the Zone unless it is one I don't have

Post your Manual as I would love to have the latest version, you would help others as well

The Default for Pn08 and Pn09 is 10s your 2s is very good if it can do that for a lathe without a Braking Resistor, you should do a video showing this and the settings you used to do it, that's a very good VFD that can do that, without a Braking Resistor
    Hi mactec54

The specs of that Baldor motor DO NOT say it is 4 Pole, it says it is a 2 Pole Motor.

In FIJOCUSTOM's Post #8 he clearly says: "Motor: 3 phase 220v 2HP 2850 RPM 50hz, but i belive max 60hz maybe." Therefore, it can only be a 2 Pole motor!

There is no engineering reason to suggest that "A lathe would not be much good with a 2 Pole motor...". It all depends on the intended use for the lathe, as any machinist would know. High spindle speeds require a high speed motor and many machine tools offer 2/4 Pole 2-speed motors to achieve a desirable speed range, eg Bridgeport mills and Emco Super 11 lathes to name a couple. FIJOCUSTOM's problem is he wants high turning speeds AND to be able to perform a threading operation at slow speed and retain motor torque. A big ask...

If you look at Fijo's ebay link, you can disregard both of the circuit diagrams. The current version of these VFDs has been around for maybe 12 months or more and has NO PROVISION to fit a braking resistor and the power input terminals are now universal ie accepts 3 phases connected to R,S and T or single phase connected to R and T. Only the centre common earth terminal should be used and you should check for earth continuity as has been mentioned in other threads previously. As with the Huanyang VFD, there are two screws near the terminal block with the earth symbol next to them. In all 5 of my VFDs they are actually not connected to anything! So don't rely on them for an earth.

Do an ebay search for "vfd 1.5kw inverter" and you will find the same unit offered for sale in English. Almost every seller uses the same wording and diagrams even though they are for the old model. Be aware, they are Chineeze sellers, often have no knowledge of the product, and as usual the manual is written in Chinglish.

Hi FIJO, How old is your VFD, is it the current model or the older one? For your lathe, maybe you need to change the drive ratio (pulley?) to keep motor speed, and therefore torque, up at low spindle speeds, and run the motor at higher frequencies for the high spindle speeds. You may not realise that a good motor should be ok at 50% overspeed. I often run my 1440rpm 50Hz milling machine motor at 80-100Hz without a problem. BUT I don't know about running your 2850rpm motor at 4500+rpm !! Perhaps you need to re-assess your motor selection and drive ratio to get the speed range you require. BTW good video and a nice work on your lathe.

Regards to all, Ross.
    radial1951

radial1951

No body said the PDF was 4 pole it is clearly 2 pole, the link I had to it was for 4 pole, and I did not check it before I posed it, what's your problem

2 pole motor are poor performers at low speed, which he has found out, his CNC lathe would need to run at the higher RPM so the Torque with the 2 Pole motor would not be a problem, or lower his spindle Gearing and increase Pn10 up to get the Max RPM he wants, this can only be done if the motor can handle the higher Hz setting continuous

A good Quality VFD with more control options to control his motor better

Some ways to fix the low Torque problem, a larger HP motor if you want to keep using a 2 Pole Motor

Use Gearing and increase Hz to Max if the motor can run continuous at High Hz setting

Use a 4 Pole Motor and run at Max Hz if it is rated for continuous high Hz setting

Or use a AC Servo Motor and Drive for precision control

Your 2 examples Bridgeport and Emco are not CNC, and both have a very poor performance when running at low speed when switched for 2 Pole running

Still waiting for your video, no video of your setup stopping in 2s it did not happen, and not on a toy machine that has very little inertia

T=torque ( in lb-ft )
    HP=horsepower
    5252=constant
    RPM=revolutions per minute
    With this formula he can work out his torque at the lower RPM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tec.PNG  
    Mactec54

sorry guys, I have not put all the information. the motor pulley has 30 teeth and 60 teeth pulley spindle has HTD5. MAX 1400 RPM.
    a2_30_10.jpg | Servimg.com - Free image hosting service

date od the VFD is march 2016

this is my parameters NOW

pn1: 1
    pn2: 0.10
    pn3: 4
    pn4: 2
    pn5: 1
    pn8:2s
    pn9: 2s
    pn10: 50
    pn11:1.0
    pn:12: 1
    pn13:0 which should put?
    pn14:10hz which should put?
    pn19: 4

Mactec54

t= 2hp x 5252/2850

t=3.6856 is it is right?

sorry again but is not my native language, and google translate no is 100% rigth

thanks

sorry guys, I have not put all the information. the motor pulley has 30 teeth and 60 teeth pulley spindle has HTD5. MAX 1400 RPM.
    a2_30_10.jpg | Servimg.com - Free image hosting service

date od the VFD is march 2016

this is my parameters NOW

pn1: 1
    pn2: 0.10
    pn3: 4
    pn4: 2
    pn5: 1
    pn8:2s
    pn9: 2s
    pn10: 50
    pn11:1.0
    pn:12: 1
    pn13:0 which should put?
    pn14:10hz which should put?
    pn19: 4

Mactec54

t= 2hp x 5252/2850

t=3.6856 is it is right?

sorry again but is not my native language, and google translate no is 100% rigth

thanks

t=3.6856 is it is right? 3.6856 yes that is correct, it's not a lot of torque for a lathe motor, but by having a 2:1 ratio you now have doubled your motor torque
    1400 RPM Max the torque is 7.5028

pn:12: 50 needs to be be 50
    pn13:1 Add ( 1 ) max
    pn14:60 Add ( 60 ) and increase up to a max of 100
    Mactec54

hi guys, im waiting the new encoder, tyr to test the vfd new parameters

thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12