585,982 active members*
4,549 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

High Speed Spindle Attachment

I have a few Cincinatti Sabres with 8000rpm spindles and i am looking to do some high speed maching. What i am looking for is an attachment which can be used as a regular tool holder (no air hoses or electrical cords attached) so that i can put it in my tool changer. I would like to be able to get up to 20000 RPM out of it. i dont know if anything like this even exists, but if there is something of that sort around, someone on here will know. all of my machines have thru spindle coolant and Cat 40 tools. Thanks!

If there isnt something like this out there, then someone needs to design one and sell it to me!

Material to machine?
    Largest diameter end mill will you need to run above 8k?

What you are talking about is getting the added feed rate that higher RPMs can deliver if:
    Vibration is minimal
    Tool Tip extension is not too long from your current gage line
    And since you have a couple of CNC machines, some adapability (from 1 machine to the other)

In My Opionion, the NSK electric auxilary spindle is the way to go... (for 1/4" max shank)

http://www.nskamericacorp.com/prod_machineTool_hes.aspx

If your need is common enough,
    then you'll want to be able to rebuild the spindle (not as easy on the mechanical type)
    Have two, so you won't be down if one is in repair

The mechanical ones that rely on planetary gears that increase speed up to 7x (Not to exceed 20k) and the extremely crappy air turbine type are a waste of money.

The extremely smooth Programmable Variable RPM (you can't hardly tell it's turning) and the short extension from gage line make the NSK auxilary spindles hard to beat. These guys live in high speed RPM ranges up to 60k...

I highly advise the necessay steps to prohibit a tool change when one of these are in the spindle (perhaps get someone to wire in an off switch for the tool changer).

Personally tested many different types, and this is by far the best route.
    Scott_bob

Yeah, they sell them, it kicks your rpms up 2-3 times whatever you're running, so in your case you could get 20,000rpms at only 6666rpms on your mill. They're pretty light weight (lbs.) too if I remember but you use it like a tool holder and it stays right in your machine. I'm thinking they run $2,000-5,000 but its EXACTLY what you're after and the company will bring you out one to demo in your machine on your parts if you're serious about buying... It basically bumps up the rpms thru gears, so you might need a little bar you can flip down in your mill like using a tapping head~
    EXIT 85 Manufacturing "The best custom wheels, period" (www.exit85.com)
    Experts in low volume, highly complicated, one-off forged aluminum wheels

Do a Google on 'Spindle Speeder' and you will find a lot sources.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

HS Spindle

There are several companies that have high speed spindles. There are two companies that stand out as far as ATC capability.
    Pibomulti is a Swiss made mechanical spindle speeder. They have two models: X9810 and the x9810-50. They are available in both CAT 40 and 50 as well as BT40 and50 taper configs.
    The X9810 has a maximum spindle speed of 40,000 RPM and it can hold up to an 8mm dia tool. You can run it for 1-1/2 hours straight without heating up the bearings too bad. It has a 10-1 gear ratio.
    The X-9810-50 has a max spindle speed of 50,000 RPM and you can run the spindle for 1-1/2 hours straight at a spindle speed of 36,000 RPM. It also has a 10-1 gear ratio. It is also available in the CAT and BT tapers. If you run it at 20,000 RPM, it should be able to run and run and run. They will run you about $10K.
    NT Tools has a spindle speeder that is rated at 30,000 RPM at 5-1 gear ratio. It is also mechanical and is tool changeable. It runs about $3K complete.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks for all of the info! Now hopefully I will just be able to get the job i quoted so I will actually have a use for these attachments!