585,974 active members*
4,286 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > OSP 5000 green screen (1984) lost BTR coms

OSP 5000 green screen (1984) lost BTR coms

G'day guys,
    I have an old LS30N lathe with OSP 5000 (green screen). The previous owner had fitted a BTR and we had been using that for many years for transferring programs to and from an early windows PC. I checked the lead wiring and it checks out fine. Interesting it has only three wires used, straight through!

But just recently the coms stopped working both ways! No idea why or how. The machine itself still runs fine its just wont send or receive programs anymore.
    Among other things I was thinking could I just dump the BTR altogether and make up a new 25 to 9 pin plug between the PC and the MC? With the correct leads and parameters set is this possible to do on this machine?

I see other machines with this same controller transferring just fine in absence of a BTR. So why would one have been fitted in the first place?

Thanks.

Re: OSP 5000 green screen (1984) lost BTR coms

I will add here that I had not realized the importance of NOT pulling the com cable while the machine is on!!!! I have recently been swapping leads with another CNC machine.
    Interestingly the PC that I was doing that too no longer has any coms on that com port!
    Using an USB to RS232 converter the Mill is now communicating again. But testing this morning the original com port is still dead. On either machine.

So.........
    I get another PC and designate this PC solely to the Okuma! I set up my com software as before, but still no cigar. Noting either way (BTR) is fitted.
    Could I have fried the Okuma coms board? Anyway to check?

Quote Originally Posted by rotec View Post
    I will add here that I had not realized the importance of NOT pulling the com cable while the machine is on!!!! I have recently been swapping leads with another CNC machine.
    Interestingly the PC that I was doing that too no longer has any coms on that com port!
    Using an USB to RS232 converter the Mill is now communicating again. But testing this morning the original com port is still dead. On either machine.

So.........
    I get another PC and designate this PC solely to the Okuma! I set up my com software as before, but still no cigar. Noting either way (BTR) is fitted.
    Could I have fried the Okuma coms board? Anyway to check?
    Yes that's is very likely. nEVER remove cables when the old okumas are on. They do not like that at all.

Sendt fra min EML-L29 med Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nikolaiownz View Post
    Yes that's is very likely. nEVER remove cables when the old okumas are on. They do not like that at all.

It occurred to me that the BTR that had been previously fitted to the machines tape reader would act as a breakout board between the PC and the MC and thus perhaps isolating the machine's R232 card? Anyway I went ahead and made a new serial cable (going around the BTR) based on "theokumaguy's" specific 5000L instruction which differ from the 5000 L-G see here https://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma...ml#post2297532 .

Only thing I differed on is a made the cable 9 pin at the PC side as the PC has no 25 pin port. I just wired the 9 pin to match the 25 pin features.

I changed the parameters to SRT MIke's settings, #1: 00011011 and #12: 10100010

After all the above a now have the MC able to transfer to the PC with no issues. However when I try to transfer the other way I get a device error FFFFFF.

I feel im getting closer.

I will continue to report my finding and package what I did. It may help others in the future. Keeping these old 5000L machines alive is important to me....well not really but anyway! hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by rotec View Post
    It occurred to me that the BTR that had been previously fitted to the machines tape reader would act as a breakout board between the PC and the MC and thus perhaps isolating the machine's R232 card? Anyway I went ahead and made a new serial cable (going around the BTR) based on "theokumaguy's" specific 5000L instruction which differ from the 5000 L-G see here https://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma...ml#post2297532 .

Only thing I differed on is a made the cable 9 pin at the PC side as the PC has no 25 pin port. I just wired the 9 pin to match the 25 pin features.

I changed the parameters to SRT MIke's settings, #1: 00011011 and #12: 10100010

After all the above a now have the MC able to transfer to the PC with no issues. However when I try to transfer the other way I get a device error FFFFFF.

I feel im getting closer.

I will continue to report my finding and package what I did. It may help others in the future. Keeping these old 5000L machines alive is important to me....well not really but anyway! hahaha
    Maybe its some settings issues..

When i punch and read i write punch "A A.MIN,TT:"

if i dont use the TT: when i punch and read it dosent work and give me the same error

And i read i just write "R TT:"

Quote Originally Posted by nikolaiownz View Post
    Maybe its some settings issues..

When i punch and read i write punch "A A.MIN,TT:"

if i dont use the TT: when i punch and read it dosent work and give me the same error

And i read i just write "R TT:"
    I'll try that.
    Right now I can send files to the PC with "PUNCH NAME.MIN,CN0:

To send from PC to OSP I do this:
    At OSP type "READ CN0" and press WRITE, it waits. then at PC press SEND. this fails every time with a "RS232C device error FFFFFFFF" or similar

PS Do you have an OSP5000L ?
    Could you please screen shot me your parameters? For #1 and #12

I got osp 5000 l-g on a old lb 15

Here is my parameters and my cimco settings.

I use the TT: when transferring.