584,812 active members*
5,255 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Sterling Silver - Turning (lathe) speed and feed rate suggestion

Sterling Silver - Turning (lathe) speed and feed rate suggestion

Can someone suggest turning speed and feed rate for sterling silver?

I intend to turn some very small parts with intricate details on a mini tabletop lathe using carbide tools.

Re: Sterling Silver - Turning (lathe) speed and feed rate suggestion

Without knowing the diameter of your sterling parts, it's hard to specify spindle speeds or feed rate. As diameter increases, the spindle speed should go down, all other things being equal. What you need to control for is surface feet per minute at the tool tip to calculate feed rates. Is this a CNC lathe you're planning to use? I looked online, but couldn't find any specific recommendations for sterling silver in any of the usual tables, probably because it's not usually machined this way. But it cuts similarly to copper (difficult and gummy); any speeds and feeds that work for copper should work about the same for sterling.

If you want to save yourself some grief, turn the parts in machinable wax and have them cast in silver by a jewelry casting house. That way you'll save a lot of time you'd lose trying to recover those valuable chips from the depths of your machine...
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Re: Sterling Silver - Turning (lathe) speed and feed rate suggestion

awerby, thank you for responding!

I searched online extensively for specific numbers but I couldn't find any. I found some speeds and rates for mills. Unfortunately nothing for lathes. Casting silver has its own problems - porosity, warping etc.
    I need these parts turned with very high precision. It is not going to be as easy as turning steel or aluminum but I know it is doable. There are many online stores offering turned silver jewelry. Naturally, they are very secretive about the technology they use. As you suggested working with copper is probably similar however I am hoping someone with knowledge in this field would be willing to suggest cutting rates form his/her personal experience.

Yes, I am going to use a small CNC lathe with precise spindle speed control.