584,837 active members*
5,516 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DIY CNC Stopped working?

I have a 1000 x 1200 mm DIY CNC Built over time with what I could afford along the way. I finally got it running a year ago and started cutting wood and other and it worked well for a beginner. Along the way I had small problems that I just though of as growing pain, when I started this build I was a woodworker with a loaded shop and thought the next tool would be a CNC router.

A few month ago my Inverter crapped out and with the help of this site and many of the great guys here got me through.

Last week I started a new Gcode program and needed to move the gantry closer to change the bit, went fine until I loaded the gcode changed the bit and when I tried to move to zero, no axis would move? I could not get anything to work? I did nothing other than the usual moves to change bit and load gcode, but this time it just STOPPED??

My CNC is running on a dedicated Windows 7 machine with no network connection and no other software loaded but Mach3.
    I have NEMA 34 motors for all axis (2 on Y axis) and a 2.2Kw spindle and Inverter (Huanyang) and a DB-25 breakout board .
    If I try to start Spindle with Inverter key pad it works, but not from mach3
    If I touch the touch-off plate to the endmill I get a conformation on Mach3 Diagnostics page?

I ordered a new breakout board and it will be here tomorrow but I am not sure if that is the problem and so I came here for some help, maybe someone else has had this problem.
    Could it be a ground issue? how?
    What is the strangest part is I ran it to change bit and then it would not move again?

Thanks

Pat

Re: DIY CNC Stopped working?

Is there a fuse anywhere in the system? Often when a machine stops working suddenly, it can be traced to a blown fuse. The next most probable thing is a wire that's come loose. If that's not the problem, then there are lots of other things that need checking, like the computer you're using (have you tried this with another one?) corrupt software (have you tried re-downloading and reinstalling Mach3?) If you've only run short G-code programs, it might be that you never had a valid license for Mach3, and it cut out at the 500 command limit. (Have you tried restarting everything and commanding a move?) If you're using a cheap crappy breakout board, it could have suddenly died - you'll see shortly if the new one works any better. It could also be a failure of the power supply.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

So after sending this post this morning I took a look at the connections to try and find a problem, nothing was visible. I unplugged the DB-25 and unplugged the RS-485 and also unplugged everything.
    Then after plugging everything back in ans starting PC and when I turned on the switch for the control board I heard the bump I always get, (don't know if it should happen or not but it's just a quick bump when voltage is applied and then I can start moving my gantry) so I thought that was good and tried to move gantry... and the Y axis would kind of move a bit, almost like it was in the MPG mode for the jog mode. It only seems to work on the Y axis and it is very week but it is trying to move? Now I checked the motor tuning setup on mach3 and all that looked right nothing changed, So I stated mach3 under a new profile and got the same results? So now it seems to be more of a mack3 problem I think, any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Pat

Stepper power supply on its last leg?

each motor has it's own power supply, I thought about that and tested each, seem okay. When I power up control panel I get a bump from the motors locking in position, and that kind of feels right. And if I try to move gantry the power feels right when it bumps, I will check them again, I have some voltage panel mount meters that I have been stalling to install but I think this is a good time.

Thanks

Pat