585,589 active members*
2,918 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

remove ER11 collet

Hi all,

I bought a china 2030 CNC machine and it came with a ER11 collect installed. I would like to replace this with a drill chuck. I unscrewed two stud screws on the ER11 collet but this thing won't come off. I also tried to heat it little bit and gently hammed it down but no luck. Can you please suggest if this can even be taken off or I am stuck with this collet for rest of life?

Thanks

Attachment 421420

Attachment 421422

Re: remove ER11 collet

Take cover off
    Take more pictures from bottom and top

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

The "collet" is the slotted insert that's snapped into a closer nut that screws onto the end of your spindle. But it sounds like you want to remove the spindle shaft itself, not the collet. That's probably not possible, and isn't desirable either if you plan to use it for routing. Jacobs chucks are able to handle a larger number of shaft sizes than collets, but don't hold onto them as tightly, and aren't as concentric, which means that tools can slip (especially when plunging) and small ones will tend to break.

If you can find a Jacobs chuck with a 5/16" straight shank coming out the back, you could hold onto it with your largest ER-11 collet. But the smallest one I know of is 3/8"; most are 1/2" or larger. I suppose you could get someone with a centerless grinder to grind down a 3/8 chuck arbor for you, if you really need a Jacobs chuck for that machine. But it would probably be easier to find a set of drill bits with a fixed shaft size, and use collets to hold your end mills.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

The collet holder is probably pressed on. Not likely you'll be able to get it off without damaging the bearings. Those types of spindles are pretty poor in general anyway. Runout is pretty bad and not very stiff at all. Would probably make an ok drill spindle if you can get the collet holder off and figure out how to get a chuck on.

This is what the ER holder actually looks like. You need to first remove the set screws. From there the holder is probably either pressed on or has loctite locking it on. In either case, heat up the ER holder and then use a press to press out the motor. There is a through hole so you can insert a pressing arbor to press the shaft off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ER11-A-8mm-...cAAOSwBOtY-dD5

ok, thank you very much all for different ideas. I will try again gently to take it out as mentioned by 109jb.