584,805 active members*
5,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: TNG Progress

Page 1 of 6 123

TNG Progress

What is the progress of the TNG software please. We where promised an update for February this year which has not materialised. Most of us are using September 2017 software.
    Getting a little worried about the company. What is the actual situation??

Re: TNG Progress

I'm going to speculate that rewriting the G41/G42 code is quite a complex task, so that's what's holding things up.
    At the same time, I'm hoping that screwcutting (G76) is completely sorted out, now.

Since day one my goal was to make the best software. Original version had several limitations and was not very customizable. TNG was meant to fix this and lots of stuff is customizable but apparently too much for normal user. Now my goal is to have everything "out of the box".

Here is screen shoot of my my current screen. Note state panels which can display much more information than before.

For better connectivity with external stuff we implemented strong Python interpreter. Beta versions of this are already successfully running in large and complex industrial systems. In other words - complex systems can be controlled from TNGv2 and TNGv2 can be controlled from such systems. I know that majority of users will not need this.

G41/G42 is indeed complex task. I examined how this is implemented in other systems and was quite disappointed. Flaws everywhere. I hired mathematicians and gave them a task to create "perfect" G41/G42 (including option for dogbone corners and configurable tangents). Alpha version is ready and works great.

G-code commands should be compatible with LinuxCNC, Mach4 and most of Fanuc. Specially on g-codes that is usually generated with post processors. Some enhancements are made, for example polar coordinates in incremental mode work like I believe it is correct.

There are lot more options for custom dialogs in g-code. Here are screenshots of build in "measure" commands. Keep in mind that all this is just plain g-code.

There is more but I'm not allowed to post more attachments.

There were lots of complaints about toolchange. TNG can handle every ATC imaginable but scripting was required. TNGv2 will have standard settings for most common toolchange procedures. Advanced users can still use scripting.

Did I mentioned that TNGv2 will run in Windows PC, Linux PC, Apple Mac (Sierra of newer) and Raspberry Pi? Yes, Apple users finally got good CNC software.
    RPi version is specially optimized and according to out tests and reports from beta testers is very stable and without any significant drawbacks.

Currently I'm working on image processing and generating g-code from it. Intent is, to use photos or drawings and create g-code that can be used for CNC and laser type machines.

In previous post I forget to mention that g-code is also compatible with all major 3D printer slicers.

There are just so many thing and it is impossible to mention all. TNGv2 wil not be just a little better.

I really thought that I could pull all this until February. I was wrong. We are a small team and if flue season hits hard on us then it shows. So don't worry about our company. We are working really hard and if sometimes we do not respond or we are to vague then it is because we work too hard, not because we do not care.

Just remembered - we have wireless MPG pendants specially made for TNGv2 already on stock. We'll publish some photos later. I think they are awesome.

Thank you for your welcome and timely information. It is most appreciated.
    We have a small group of TNC users and two of us have new machines which will imminently require the fitting of new control systems.
    Your advice will I am sure, calm our deliberations and refocus us on TNC.

It seems like a great job ... I can't wait!
    I see with pleasure that you have listened to my requests (and those of other users) regarding the probing on the piece. very well!
    I hope there is also the management of the additional inputs that are missing in the current TNG.
    Good job.
    Marco

Quote Originally Posted by mar_cone View Post
    I hope there is also the management of the additional inputs that are missing in the current TNG.
    Please explain what do you mean?

I refer to what I wrote last august here regarding the configuration of the inputs of the EXTIN add-on card

Nice!.

Now, does this new version also display rotary axis jobs (x-z-a or y-z-a) properly as 3d projection (like the old USB-CNC software)? This is holding me back from switching to TNG.
    Box Joint and Dovetail CAM software here: WWW.TAILMAKER.NET

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBurks View Post
    does this new version also display rotary axis jobs (x-z-a or y-z-a) properly
    Display of rotary axes looked nice but it was not proper representation. But I see no reason why not implement this. I'll add it to Todo list.

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetCNC View Post
    Display of rotary axes looked nice but it was not proper representation. But I see no reason why not implement this. I'll add it to Todo list.
    Well, may not have been perfect but worked well for me to see how the machine would move and even give a rough idea how the machined part would look like.

Since I am at it....the ability to memorize the transformation matrix after power down (or program close) is another thing that I really need and that USBCNC had. I don't want to enter these values every time when I start the program.

Jerry - Does Tailmaker post process directly to TNG?

Quote Originally Posted by Eatonbrayer View Post
    Jerry - Does Tailmaker post process directly to TNG?
    I have not tried it with TNG. But all my software has very generic g-code output that can be read by 90% of all machine controllers. There are some exotic European machines that made trouble and I believe GBRL did not like the comments in parentheses.
    But since all the programs were developed and tested using the old CNC-USB controller I would be surprised if it did not work with TNG.

Just download the free demo and try it out. It can already do some of the basic joinery tasks. Keep in mind for Tailmaker you need a 30-degree v-bit and that special 15-degree clamping jig (plans included in download). The Fingermaker and the other programs don't need that and can be flat machined.

JB

it is better to release updates with minor changes more often (as everyone else does) than to try to shove all the innovations into one version.

Most companies release new major version in one or two year cycle which is a reasonable time. In TNGv2 are not just minor changes and time is required.

So what is your realistic estimate for the new release. For those of us who have decisions to make.

A further essential question is:- Will existing post processors function without modification on TNGv2 ?

Before releasing a new version, you need to remove the bugs in the old one !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anriro View Post
    Before releasing a new version, you need to remove the bugs in the old one !!!
    Don't you have to release a new version to remove bugs in the old one?

To fix a few simple mistakes do not take years! For example, starting the program from the desired line.

"Updates" and "new version" are completely different things. I imagine that way.

@ Anriro "For example, starting the program from the desired line."

Please download the latest TNG manual dated 2018/08/01 and read page 119 section "2.7.5.1. Start From Selected Line."

Also, you can use the opposite mouse button on the g-code panel to click on the desired line you wish to start from and the shortcut menu will display "Start From Selected Line" option.

Page 1 of 6 123