584,846 active members*
4,579 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Alphacam > Scaling toolpaths in one axis only ?

Scaling toolpaths in one axis only ?

Hello all

I'm running Alphacam 2017 to machine out a product much like a hockey stick with our CNC.

Having generated the machining file in alphacam, we now want to scale in one axis only just to change the lenght of the stick so we can make different sizes. This is because different sizes of hockey stick only vary in lenght, while the width and thickness of sticks across different sizes don't vary.

We're working from a scanned 3D model so it seems the easiest way to vary product's lenght is to just scale the tootpath in the correct axis.

Problem is when I apply the Scale function to the toolpaths it only allows for uniform scaling in all three axies which is no good to us- the goal is to isolate the scaling to one axis only .

Anyone know a work around to this ?

It would be beyond appreciated !
    Carol

Re: Scaling toolpaths in one axis only ?

Hi Carol

There isn` t a practical way of scaling tool paths in only one plane. I`f you have scanned in a 3D model then i would use that to create the various sizes that you require and create a bespoke programme for each size.
    Scaling tool paths are something i would personally avoid as it is likely you will get unecpected results , where as by using individual models keeps things tidy and less likely to cause problems.

I hope this helps.

Kindest regards.

Thanks for the reply Routerfiend ! Much appreciated

Yeah we'll have to scale the 3D model and make the bespoke programme for each side if we can't find a work around ! It's just a complicated programme per size so ideally we'd just do the programme once and scale it to the different sizes

Before my time Alphacam made a made a bespoke macro for the company to scale toolpaths in one plane only. This was for a much older version of alphacam that's obsolete on modern computers and I cant get the updated version of alphacam to load the macro. I'll make a new thread to see if anyone can edit an old macro to make to work on modern versions of alphacam!

When you say it wouldn't be practical to scale 3D toolpaths , does that mean you know a way ( albeit impractical )?

Quote Originally Posted by Routerfiend View Post
    Hi Carol

There isn` t a practical way of scaling tool paths in only one plane. I`f you have scanned in a 3D model then i would use that to create the various sizes that you require and create a bespoke programme for each size.
    Scaling tool paths are something i would personally avoid as it is likely you will get unecpected results , where as by using individual models keeps things tidy and less likely to cause problems.

I hope this helps.

Kindest regards.

If it is for a hockey stick, then scaling isn't the answer anyway as scaling would also increase the height of the blade whereas it sounds like you would just want to increase the length of the shaft without affecting the blade height.

I don't know anything about the rules for hockey sticks but what about an adjustable length shaft covering the minimum and maximum lengths? That would only require a two part shaft one size fits all with graduations to set the length.