507,955 active members
3,040 visitors online
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill
Page 1 of 3 123
Results 1 to 12 of 53

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    58

    started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

    Hi,

    I started my cnc conversion, I machine all the mounts now I need to order my ball screws next, here is one of many video's i posted look at this one or all Thanks, please let me know or recommend/ helpful tips I should know for this is my first cnc mill conversion and any help i would appreciate it!
    Thanks


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCGt8fY1hwM

  2. #2
    Registered
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    339

    Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

    I suggest to not machine parts untill you have the purchased components in your hands and verify dimensions first.
    Especiallly if you buy cheap chinese components, dimensions might be out of tolerance.

  3. #3
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    58

    Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

    you have a good point, this is a proven plans and why i did it this way, if i ever do this again i will purchased the components first

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    16

    Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

    Those like really nice!
    Are you using FK10/FK12 bearing cartridges by the looks of it?
    I'm going down the same route, though I bought all of my electronics/motors/software so far, ballscrews came in today, and my FK bearings plus couplers are a month or so out yet on the slow boat from china, so I haven't started machining anything for the conversion yet.

  5. #5
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    320

    Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianPM View Post
    Those like really nice!
    Are you using FK10/FK12 bearing cartridges by the looks of it?
    I'm going down the same route, though I bought all of my electronics/motors/software so far, ballscrews came in today, and my FK bearings plus couplers are a month or so out yet on the slow boat from china, so I haven't started machining anything for the conversion yet.
    I'm 3/4 the way through converting one myself using my X2 to make the parts.
    I made my own bearing blocks to accommodate 32x12x10mm 7201-2RS Angular contact bearings for my 1605 screws.
    Seeing how well they work I wouldn't go back to anything else.
    I've packed my double nuts with some aluminium foil to make them tighter (they do now have a little drag). I've only got my Y axis properly set up atm but with the packed nuts and AC bearing combination my backlash has shown >0.001" (0.02mm).

    Once this is finished I'll use it to change my X2 from thrust to AC bearings.

    I went with 1100oz Nema 34 motors so added extra fixing points to the base and table for the bearing mounts. A fair amount of weight comes with those 34 size motors!

  6. #6
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    58

    Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

    hey brain,
    yes i when with FK/FF10 and 12 they have Angular contact bearings/ who did you buy your ballscrews from?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by rmachinist View Post
    hey brain,
    yes i when with FK/FF10 and 12 they have Angular contact bearings/ who did you buy your ballscrews from?

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/PM-25MV-cnc-conversion-kit-precision-matthews-balls-crews-machined-as-drawings-/253926681285
    They took about a week to get in from China, which was faster than I expected.
    I’m still waiting for couplers and bearings.

  8. #8
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1166

    Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

    Yes, working on them
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

  9. #9
    Wish you success, all good things come to you

  10. #10

    Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

    If you get your X axis adjusted correctly the weight of the servo/stepper and hardware is absolutely inconsequential. For example, I tighten my ways until the X stalls, but I do that with two 4" vises and a 6" 3 jaw chuck at the end of the table at maximum overhang. I then take off the 6" chuck and generally the table runs freely. The two vises and the chuck are like 70lbs worth of weight. Even if I machine with two vises they are never at the end of the table, alway near middle, maybe slightly offset right to account for my tool height touch off on the left. Suffice it to say, this test shows how insensitive your table should be to weight changes.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    16

    Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

    I didn't check my ballscrew lengths, only tested the ends to make sure they fit the bearings and preload nuts correctly. I'm just starting to machine the conversion parts now.
    If Z or Y are too long, I figure I could cut/grind them down.
    X- I can make my motor standoff a little taller.

    I'm taking a shortcut with the motor standoffs to save a lot of time since I'm doing all the cutting manually.
    I ordered these for the x and y mounts, they are a little tall, so I should just need to cut them down to the proper height. https://www.amazon.com/RATTMMOTOR-St...gateway&sr=8-6

    I ordered a Nema34 mount as well, but its design is different (hollow) and I thought I would have to do significant modifications to get it to work, so I sent it back. Turning the standoffs on a lathe would be a lot easier in this case.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    16

    Re: started my cnc conversion for Precision Matthews PM-25MV Mill

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianPM View Post
    I didn't check my ballscrew lengths, only tested the ends to make sure they fit the bearings and preload nuts correctly. I'm just starting to machine the conversion parts now.
    If Z or Y are too long, I figure I could cut/grind them down.
    X- I can make my motor standoff a little taller.

    I'm taking a shortcut with the motor standoffs to save a lot of time since I'm doing all the cutting manually.
    I ordered these for the x and y mounts, they are a little tall, so I should just need to cut them down to the proper height. https://www.amazon.com/RATTMMOTOR-St...gateway&sr=8-6

    I ordered a Nema34 mount as well, but its design is different (hollow) and I thought I would have to do significant modifications to get it to work, so I sent it back. Turning the standoffs on a lathe would be a lot easier in this case.
    I just finished machinging my x-axis mounts this weekend, and took some measurements of the ball screw- the ball screw length looks to be dead on.
    (Things are slow going, I've only had time to make chips late at night or earlty in the morning on weekends lately.)

Page 1 of 3 123

Similar Threads

  1. Precision Matthews PM940 CNC mill and 1030 lathe
    By Pariel in forum Ebay Ads here
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2019, 09:36 PM
  2. Precision Matthews PM25 MILL power Z Axis
    By JoeWest in forum Benchtop Machines
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2019, 11:20 PM
  3. Precision Matthews PM940 CNC mill
    By Pariel in forum Ebay Ads here
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-28-2018, 01:48 PM
  4. Precision matthews PM-940M Mill to CNC conversion
    By unknownpro in forum Benchtop Machines
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-28-2016, 08:42 PM
  5. Grizzly G0704 vs. Quality Machine Tools/Precision Matthews PM-25MV
    By automatafan in forum Benchtop Machines
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-13-2013, 05:38 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •