584,817 active members*
4,841 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Benchtop 10x22 Thread Cutting

Benchtop 10x22 Thread Cutting

I'm new to thread cutting on my small Grizzly 0602 10x22, so my questions are pretty basic.

I set the machine up to cut a 24TPI thread. The gear set-up was a bit confusing at first, but I found a wonderful piece of freeware that provides many gear set options. I settled on a combo of 36/127/40/II/A (installed the bushing correctly on the lower drive gear). I'm threading 304 3/8" stainless rod. I did a grazing pass by hand cranking the chuck to confirm I was getting a proper TPI and it looked good.

However, I can't see anyway to cut towards the headstock at the lowest spindel speed on this machine (150 rpm). When you engage the half-nut the carriage flies along. It would be very dicey trying to disengage the half-nut in time, even with a generous undercut. And you'd have to be lightning fast to re-engage the half-nut by watching the indexing wheel. Without a brake, leaving the half-nut engaged and letting the carriage coast is a no-go.

Is there a way to cut FROM the headstock out by running in reverse? That would eliminate the risk of clobbering the part. Of course it would mean inverting the tool and switching the compound angle.

Has anyone done this on one of these machines or similar?

I can see what people convert these to 220 VFD, but for all the thread-cutting I do that will have to wait.

Thanks for the advice!

Re: Benchtop 10x22 Thread Cutting

Quote Originally Posted by traderyoda2 View Post
    Is there a way to cut FROM the headstock out by running in reverse? That would eliminate the risk of clobbering the part. Of course it would mean inverting the tool and switching the compound angle.

Has anyone done this on one of these machines or similar?
    If you check out Joe Pieczynski (sp?) on YouTube, you will find a video about exactly this way to cut threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigoe View Post
    If you check out Joe Pieczynski (sp?) on YouTube, you will find a video about exactly this way to cut threads.
    How cool is that... love this guy - THANKS!

Why doesn't everyone do this? Seems like an obvious solution... maybe everyone does and I'm just waking up!

Bring up another issue though. The original tool post on the 0602 doesn't allow room to shim the tool up enough to get on center. Guess I need a QCTP with move vertical adjustment to pull this off.

Very happy to know there's a way forward though!

Quote Originally Posted by traderyoda2 View Post
    Bring up another issue though. The original tool post on the 0602 doesn't allow room to shim the tool up enough to get on center. Guess I need a QCTP with move vertical adjustment to pull this off.

Very happy to know there's a way forward though!
    If you use a left hand threading boring bar (for internal threads), you don't have to turn the tool upside down. Not sure if something similar exist for external threads, but I guess a regular internal threading boring bar would work for this.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk