584,800 active members*
4,533 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Galil Motion Control CNC Router W/Delta Servos Few Questions

Talking Galil Motion Control CNC Router W/Delta Servos Few Questions

Hey guys. . . First post, although Ive done a LOT of reading here. My name is Tony I work for a small fabrication shop and we acquired a router table about 2 years ago. Of which, Ive learned to use along with Fusion 360 and had no prior experience, so bare with me here. We have an el-cheapo Chinese router table.... It does at least have Delta ASDA-B2 drives and ECMA-C20807RS servos with 17bit incremental encoders. We purchased a Galil- DMC-4153 motion control and I'm in WAY over my head.

I'm going to list a few random questions and general problems I'm having, if you can help...AWESOME! and THANK YOU!

1. Jinan wouldn't give us a wiring diagram so we decided to rip everything out and start over..... The had the brake on a delay relay but galil has delay built in so I don't think I need this....does that sound right?

2. On one of the diagrams for Torque control mode which is what we are shooting for, it shows a 10k resistor tied between the Motor cmd and GND, the galil circuit is 2.2K, so do I need to add an addition 8k resistor? Or none at all?

3. Mach 4, using the GALIL plugin, seems to crash often when I select the plugin, it just goes unresponsive, any experience or suggestions here? Computer is 12core i7@ 4.2ghz, 30gb DDR4 @ 2666, 1TB SATA, RX580 ROG graphics, win 10 pro

4. Wiring the limit/home switches - We only have optical home switches no limit switches, They had these wired into two 14pin relays, Im assuming in a latching configuration? Do I need them to latch? It was a mess of wires, very confusing the way they did it, only used a handful of pins on the two relays. I think I should wire them direct to the DMC board

Im sure Ill have more ?s, prob by the hundreds when I get to the fun looking part of tuning the drives! But thanks in advance for any and all help! Have a good day!

Re: Galil Motion Control CNC Router W/Delta Servos Few Questions

Id recommend asking on the machsupport.com forum. The Galil plugin developer posts there.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I'll tackle part of this, I have no experience with Mach4, but over 20 years experience with Galil products. I use Galil in all of my machines.

Quote Originally Posted by tpinto View Post

We purchased a Galil- DMC-4153 motion control and I'm in WAY over my head.
    A DMC-4050 would have been a better choice, more flexible, but the 4153 will work.

1. Jinan wouldn't give us a wiring diagram so we decided to rip everything out and start over..... The had the brake on a delay relay but galil has delay built in so I don't think I need this....does that sound right?
    Good choice ripping out the original controls. The Galil has no delay built in, you will have to program it using the WT (wait) command. The Galil is a blank canvas, everything needs to be programmed. Mach4 should send a configuration string to the Galil on power up or reset, this ''programs'' the Galil. As I recall I have no programmed delay on my brake on my lathe X axis. I just enable the drive and release the brake on successive program lines. Pretty much happens instantly. On power down, the inverse happens.

2. On one of the diagrams for Torque control mode which is what we are shooting for, it shows a 10k resistor tied between the Motor cmd and GND, the galil circuit is 2.2K, so do I need to add an addition 8k resistor? Or none at all?
    You would connect the MCn and GND from the Galil directly to the Delta analog motor command input.

3. Mach 4, using the GALIL plugin, seems to crash often when I select the plugin, it just goes unresponsive, any experience or suggestions here? Computer is 12core i7@ 4.2ghz, 30gb DDR4 @ 2666, 1TB SATA, RX580 ROG graphics, win 10 pro
    Can't help you on this one. Do as Gerry suggests, Mach4 forum.

4. Wiring the limit/home switches - We only have optical home switches no limit switches, They had these wired into two 14pin relays, Im assuming in a latching configuration? Do I need them to latch? It was a mess of wires, very confusing the way they did it, only used a handful of pins on the two relays. I think I should wire them direct to the DMC board
    The Galil has inputs for Home, + and - limits for each axis. The optical switches should be wired directly to the Galil. The Galil inputs will accept up to 24VDC. The the home switches can be used for travel limits. The LD (limit disable) command can be used to turn off the travel limit function when homing.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thank you Mr.Dawson! Very helpful!

Now, as to external power to the Galil board.....Im using a 44pin I/O board and I am confused on how to properly connect my external 24V supply, that will feed my optical sensors as well as feeding AEN.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I'll tackle part of this, I have no experience with Mach4, but over 20 years experience with Galil products. I use Galil in all of my machines.

A DMC-4050 would have been a better choice, more flexible, but the 4153 will work.

Good choice ripping out the original controls. The Galil has no delay built in, you will have to program it using the WT (wait) command. The Galil is a blank canvas, everything needs to be programmed. Mach4 should send a configuration string to the Galil on power up or reset, this ''programs'' the Galil. As I recall I have no programmed delay on my brake on my lathe X axis. I just enable the drive and release the brake on successive program lines. Pretty much happens instantly. On power down, the inverse happens.

You would connect the MCn and GND from the Galil directly to the Delta analog motor command input.

Can't help you on this one. Do as Gerry suggests, Mach4 forum.

The Galil has inputs for Home, + and - limits for each axis. The optical switches should be wired directly to the Galil. The Galil inputs will accept up to 24VDC. The the home switches can be used for travel limits. The LD (limit disable) command can be used to turn off the travel limit function when homing.

What 44 pin I/O board are you using?

EDIT:
    What is the full part number for your DMC-4153? Does it have the high power outputs? You can read the full part # using the ID command I think.

Also a correction on the break delay question. There is a BW (break wait) command in the Galil, I had not seen that one before.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    What 44 pin I/O board are you using?

EDIT:
    What is the full part number for your DMC-4153? Does it have the high power outputs? You can read the full part # using the ID command I think.

Also a correction on the break delay question. There is a BW (break wait) command in the Galil, I had not seen that one before.
    Sorry it has been a while.....I haven't made it much further on this thing. Been doing a lot of reading and trying to understand the DMC programming and controls. Im still having an issue with my home switches. What would be the correct way to wire them, each optical has 24v+,0V, Sig wire....I would assume in a sink setup, LSCOM0 should be 0 V(blue), 24V directly to the the 24V(black) wire and each corresponding Axis signal(orange=z,purple=y/a,Brown=x) to its location (HOMA,HOMB,HOMC) But in doin it this way, The home indicators all stay lit, even with inverse signal thru galil.

When using the ID command it returns :

FW, DMC4153 Rev 1.3d
    DMC, 4103, Rev 11

Also, I did in all my reading, studying and inbetween racking my head against the wall....come across the brake wait! LoL.

The primary issue I think Im having is this....

I set the drives to all defaults, then thru the Delta ASDA-soft program, set it for Torque control, set the appropriate settings for my DI and DOs, changed my encoder pulse rate to 10,000 (which means the DMC will see 40k, right?) The encoder is 17bit 160k ppr. I then went to the "auto tune" followed directions there letting it estimate the JL(inertia ratio) and Rigid holding Ive tried 1-4, with better luck on the high end. It does it thing calculating, I "set J" its bandwidth averages between 20-65hz, depending on which drive Im doing, and calculated inertia is anywhere from 4-12 depending on drive(Im not sure if this is correct or not, as on the Y axis, it is "tuning" each of the drives by themselves and making one drive carry the full gantry load.) Any who, no matter what I do, when I go to galil, and let it do it auto tune, it goes nuts! Resonance out the yin yang, sounds like Im calling whales or a truckers air horn with a blown diaphragm....its bad. I even tried it with goin on default drive values and only using the galil to auto tune. Same deal but it don't show up as soon as I "auto tune" it comes out when I get to checking the encoders, or traverse/jog, random resonance. SO, Im thinking ground loop? Got to looking and the Blue 0V wire for the home switches, the china guys have in a random spot, a ring terminal on it, with it screwed into gantry under the cover for X and Z axis motors. Would this possibly be causeing my issues? I know this was a lot in one sitting, but bare with me, Im 2 fruit loops shy of the looney bin. Thanks for any and all help in advance!

Tony

ICS 48044 BTW on the 44pin, I did end up getting the amp enable circuit going, AEN rather, using the amp enable ENBL+ ENBL- pins to the 24v Com and DI2 on the Delta.