584,833 active members*
5,450 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: Buying first metal lathe

I think you will be happy. I personally have no use for a DRO on a lathe with as nice of dials that come with the new quality made machines. Your always measureing anyway.
    On a milling machine.... they are a must.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you will be happy. I personally have no use for a DRO on a lathe with as nice of dials that come with the new quality made machines. Your always measureing anyway.
    On a milling machine.... they are a must.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

The difference between the PM and the G0752 are:

PM - DC motor
    PM - Direct mount chuck

G0752 - VFD controlled 3 phase motor
    G0752 - Threaded mount chuck

To me the VFD controlled motor is a huge plus. I am not a fan of the DC motors either brushed or brushless. Of the variable speed drives I would go VFD before DC. For a manual machine I personally would rather have an induction motor and step pulley drive like the G0602 over the variable DC drive. With a step pulley drive you actually maintain power at all speeds, whereas with a variable speed drive, either VFD or DC, you lose power at lower RPM. On a step pulley system the power remains the same because at 1/2 speed you have 2x torque. On a typical variable speed drive you cut the power in half because you have 1/2 speed, and the same torque.

That would bring me to the G0602 over the PM lathe for the motor and also the chuck mounting. I'm not a fan of the direct mount chuck design of the PM and prefer the threaded mount chuck. So, the induction motor, the threaded chuck mount and the $300 cheaper price would bring me to the G0602. If you really have to have a DRO then the G0602Z

BTW the G0752Z is not available, but the G0752 without the DRO is available.

Both the G0602 and G0602Z are available

Just wanted to post an update. I received my PM 1022v on Friday July 19th. It took my wife and I the better part of a day to figure out how we were gonna get it lifted on to it's table. I didn't tear it completely down for cleaning... but I did disassemble the compound/slide/saddle because I had read that a lot (most?) of the Chinese lathes would have a lost of grit and gunk left over from the manufacturing process. To my surprise, it was actually pretty clean. I did come across a little grit in places, but it was nothing like pictures posted on other forums showing Grizzly tear downs.

After getting it all cleaned back up, I plugged it in and was ready to see it come to life. Emergency Stop... disengaged, direction set to forward, speed set to lowest setting. Pressed the "on" button.... nothing happened. My heart sank for a few moments... then started going thru a mental checklist of what could be wrong. Checked obvious things like... plugged in... power to outlet, fuses, etc. All of that checked out.

Then I recalled reading another post about the 1022v that when you removed the gear cover (which I did), there is also a small tang that gets inserted in a safety switch when the cover is reinstalled. When I put the cover back on, I seemed to be a little more difficult to get back on than I expected, but the two studs that protrude the the cover and have knurled nuts to secure it seemed to line up and go thru without too much effort. But when i too it back off, that is when i noticed, I had not lined up the tang for the safety switch correct. Made sure I did it right this time... and she powered up! Whew.... that was a huge relief for me. I'm not sure about everyone else, but it is an aweful feeling when you plunk down a fairly large chunk of cash for something.... and it doesn't work when it arrives. I was fairly certain that Precision Matthews ran it at least a little before it shipped out because I'm assuming they are the ones who install the DRO and the QCTP. Not that you need to run the lathe for either of those, but it just kinda of "felt" like they did.

In any case, like I stated in my initial post, I have absolutely zero experience with a metal lathe. Absolute beginner... but I have watched way to many YouTube videos over the last 6 months (at least according to my wife). It took me another full day to work up to courage to chuck a piece of 1.5" Alum Round bar to attempt to make my first cut. The previous day, I had mostly just played around with the controls trying to understand how/what each level/knob/switch did (yes I did have a small chuck of alum chucked up so the jaws would be loaded), but i dont think i ever took it above maybe 200 rpm. In any case, my first facing cut was pretty much exactly like all those YouTube videos showed. I did have a little nub, so I knew my tool height wasn't quite right... but it was still pretty exciting to see the first chips coming off the tool and falling to the chip pan. After a few adjustments, the nub was gone.

I know a lot of you will think this sounds kind of silly... but I was ecstatic. Baby steps.... but I have started my journey of learning a new skill. I'm sure I will have lots of questions in the future. Many of which will probably be very obvious to all of you have that years of experience under your belts... but will escape me and my limited knowledge.

I just wanted to give a quick update.

Doug

Fabulous news. Also, beware, I have a PM1228MV and the first thing I found is that it didn't like being plugged into a GFI outlet. It would trip the circuit every time I started the spindle. After researching on the web, I found that others had the same problem. Non-GFI outlet worked fine.

Yes, I had that same feeling wen it didn't work the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    Fabulous news. Also, beware, I have a PM1228MV and the first thing I found is that it didn't like being plugged into a GFI outlet. It would trip the circuit every time I started the spindle. After researching on the web, I found that others had the same problem. Non-GFI outlet worked fine.
    Depends on the GFI. I have WM290, basically a PM1127V-LB, plugged into a socket protected by a GFI, but it is a C-rated GFI, instead of B-rated.

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post

I know a lot of you will think this sounds kind of silly... but I was ecstatic. Baby steps.... but I have started my journey of learning a new skill. I'm sure I will have lots of questions in the future. Many of which will probably be very obvious to all of you have that years of experience under your belts... but will escape me and my limited knowledge.

I just wanted to give a quick update.

Doug
    That's not silly at all, and it's certainly something to be excited about! We all love machining, that's why we are here. This forum is full of people with a wealth of knowledge, don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how silly you may think them to be.

Page 3 of 3 123