584,802 active members*
4,930 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Can't enter parameters

I have a 3m model c control and I cant enter parameters in it. I put the e stop on and flip the parameter write switch on and the screen displays the p/s100 alarm as it should. When I go to the parameter page I can key in the parameter number at the bottom of the screen but when I hit input it does not enter it into the parameter spot. I talked to a member on here who has experience with this control and he said follow the instructions for loading parameters but it does not work. The machine was up and running before I tried the parameter change but the servos shut off for an unknown reason. I could not restart them. Did anyone else ever have this problem or have any ideas why it won't take parameters?

Re: Can't enter parameters

What mode are you in? I think you need to be in Edit or MDI

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    What mode are you in? I think you need to be in Edit or MDI
    I'll give all the steps I use. I flip the parameter switch on the motherboard to on. I turn on the machine and hit the ready button on the control. When the screen comes up it shows p/s 100 on the screen. The mode knob is in mdi the whole time by the way. The emergency stop is also on. After the screen comes up I press the parameter button. I then hit the page down arrow to show the screen starting with parameter 0001. I key in the 8 digit parameter and press input and nothing changes on the screen. It is the same situation for all the machine parameters. If I change to a tool offset page I can enter numbers in the tool offsets.

Hey, camaro_dan67

Some of the older Fanuc controls required "P", the value that you want, then INPUT to change parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by freakycnc View Post
    Hey, camaro_dan67

Some of the older Fanuc controls required "P", the value that you want, then INPUT to change parameters.
    I tried that method. I have the Fanuc maintenance and operators manuals for the control. I have followed the steps to enter parameters exactly and I can't get them to go in the control. I have a feeling when my servos shut off something damaged part of the board.

" I have a feeling when my servos shut off something damaged part of the board." that seems highly unlikely.

Have you tried going to a higher parameter 20 or 30 +. I'm not certain but it may be possible the lower parameters (0 to 6?) are options and may require a tape or other method to load them vs standard parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by oetkbyentc View Post
    Have you tried going to a higher parameter 20 or 30 +. I'm not certain but it may be possible the lower parameters (0 to 6?) are options and may require a tape or other method to load them vs standard parameters.
    I have tried entering parameters in all the different numbers. I followed the directions in the fanuc maintaince manual exactly. Before the servos shut off I could enter the parameters by simply hitting the e stop and turning on the parameter write switch on the motherboard. I'm still not sure why the servos shut off.

Yes, you have to input a certain set of parameters first before you input the rest, its machine specific but typically the 900 series set of parameters.

"Yes, you have to input a certain set of parameters first before you input the rest, its machine specific but typically the 900 series set of parameters" not true.
    It is possible that the PWE switch is defective, or a motherboard problem that makes it appear that PWE is not on.

Quote Originally Posted by memoryman View Post
    "Yes, you have to input a certain set of parameters first before you input the rest, its machine specific but typically the 900 series set of parameters" not true.
    It is possible that the PWE switch is defective, or a motherboard problem that makes it appear that PWE is not on.
    When I turn on the PWE switch it does throw a p/s100 alarm on the screen. When I turn it back off and press the ready button it does not dissappear from the screen.

So the software 'sees' the switch.
    "When I turn it back off and press the ready button it does not disappear from the screen." I don't think that is a concern.
    As I mentioned to you. the problem may be that the e-stop signal (M1-29) is wrong. Remove the wire from that pi and ground the pin; that forces e-stop.

Quote Originally Posted by memoryman View Post
    So the software 'sees' the switch.
    "When I turn it back off and press the ready button it does not disappear from the screen." I don't think that is a concern.
    As I mentioned to you. the problem may be that the e-stop signal (M1-29) is wrong. Remove the wire from that pi and ground the pin; that forces e-stop.
    Do I need to remove that wire from the plug and plug it back in then find some way of accessing the pin on the board under the plug to ground it?

Any ground will do. If you have sufficient length in the wire, cut it and splice it after you're done.

Quote Originally Posted by camaro_dan67 View Post
    Do I need to remove that wire from the plug and plug it back in then find some way of accessing the pin on the board under the plug to ground it?
    Would it work ok to just stick a pin in the back of the connector at spot 29 and use a jumper wire from the pin to ground?