584,861 active members*
5,116 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Makino fnc 106

Working on a makino fnc 106 with a fanuc 6 control, getting alarm 424 y servo, alarm 444 a servo, and alarm 703 over heat. Machine was a 4 axis but 4th was removed. I have turned on 4th neglect on parameter 307 bit 6. The a axis still comes up on the screen. I think I need to jumper the thermostat connection on the plug to get the over heat to go away but I think I'm missing something.

Sent from my G8343 using Tapatalk

Re: Makino fnc 106

Update - removed 4th axis board (A20B-0008-0470) from control cabinet leaving only alarm 424 y servo. The machine has inductosyn scale feedback, and after some digging a broken wire was discovered in the Y feedback circuit. After repairing this the machine will come up ready and can perform zero return for X,Y, & Z. Is it normal on these machines to have to hold down interlock to get any of the manual mode buttons to work? Why does the A axis still come up on the screen when the neglect is on and the board is removed? There must be another parameter deciding how many axes the machine has? The machine will not execute any commands in MDI or memory making me think the control is waiting for the A axis zero return before it will do anything. Also the tool changer doesn't respond to any of the buttons (such as origin which is required), but all mechanical functions work via manual override on the ends of the solenoids. Not sure if this is a result of the homing sequence not being complete or if that is a separate issue. Once I get the basic 3 axis machine running I will be building a 4th axis to work with it. I would love for Al the man or Dan Fritz to chime in with their wisdom and expertise!

Use this information at your own risk as I got this from an FNC 128 and I don't know if this will work for you.

Parameter 1, Bit 1 as '0' to disable 4th axis.

Again, I don't know how different your machine is, but the ATC on the FNC 128 I look after is controlled by a separate Fuji PLC and has a diagnostic and alarm display as a series of 8 LEDs and a couple rotary switches.

Sounds like the machines are very similar. I changed the parameter you suggested with no noticeable change in machine state. See attached photos. The plc diagnostic LEDs all flash when machine is powered on (estop condition) and then they all go out once the servos enable. No star wheel setting seems to produce any feedback from the unit after that. Attachment 422496Attachment 422498

Looking through notes, perhaps Parameter 1 bit 0 is simultaneous control of 4th axis and has to be '0' as well.

I'll try to find out if my magazine controller diagnostic manual also has a section for a different type of controller.

The more I think about it, I think the plc is waiting for a clamp confirmation from the 4th axis (even though it's not there) . I will have to see if I can find which pins on the connector are clamp and unclamp. Then if I jumper the right one, it will think it's clamped. There is also a few added relays and some extra wires on the machine for a fixture that of course has been removed. It looks like the fixture was operated via m code and shifted hydraulic solenoids to clamp and unclamp. I hope the plc isn't waiting for a response from the fixture or I could have a real problem figuring that out.

Well I got the 4th axis disabled as the picture shows. Still not able to get the tool changer to do anything. I can jog the axes around nicely, but can't get the spindle going yet, nor execute any program blocks, even something simple like M5 or G54 in MDI. What is the procedure to home the magazine? All the buttons under the magazine are getting 24v power. Attachment 422664

Does the control have a ladder and is it running?

The machine has what they call a sequence controller, made by fuji. I have no idea how to look at the logic it's running, but it does have 8 diagnostic LEDs on the side panel. I have a decoder book for that as well, but it only flashes during estop and otherwise is un responsive. There are supposed to be different settings to read the state of the i/o but they don't produce any feedback

This is the sequence controller and diagnostic displayAttachment 422668Attachment 422670

Looks identical to mine. I've noticed that you may have to click the switches just right. In '99' the LEDs scroll from 0 to 7 if everything is right. There are also LEDs in the back of one of those boards that seem to show the same info.

I would replace that battery pack and somewhere on this forum I've seen a way to reinitialize the 'sequence controller'. I think I was looking for 'FNC-128 ATC memory lost' or something.

To home the ATC, all you have to do is hit the origin button on the ATC control panel and the chain rotates several times and stops so 'pot 1' is in the tool change position.

Watch out after M30 or M02 in Auto and MDI because it will forget what tool is in the spindle. A weird way of doing things, but easy to overcome, just MDI Txx or add Txx in the beginning of a program before a tool change.

As for the switches, I thought they might be sticking so I took them out and verified with a meter that I do get the correct binary output from both star wheels.

The battery pack is nominal 3.6 vdc and currently meters at 3.9vdc so I don't think that's the culprit.

The main 5v dc power supply is good, but the 24 v dc power supply is only putting out 20 v.

The diagnostic LEDs on the side of the machine and main seqcon board all flash during start up until either the z axis is homed or a button on the tool changer panel is pressed. Then the LEDs all go out and nothing seems to get any further response from the unit.

As for the initialize process, they talk about dip switch 8 (there are 3 of those) and then 3 resets which are not in an obvious location. Perhaps I have a different version of the controller

Update: I managed to get my hands on the original 4th axis that was integrated with the machine. I need a ladder diagram for the sequence controller and any documentation that's available for the FUJI sequence controller. It is either hung up in a logic routine somewhere or not working at all. The tool magazine will not respond to any of the push buttons so I can't run the machine because I can't home the magazine. The machine has no alarms on the screen and can home out X,Y,&Z no problem. Any help is appreciated

I have been thinking about this some more and maybe I need the tool changer recovery procedure for this machine to get unstuck. Does anyone have the recovery procedure for a makino fnc with fanuc 6m?

Hello Makino Users,
    We have bought a Makino FNC 106 from the age of 1986. We have all the manuals except the electrical book.

I would be appreciate if sombody could help me, or tell me how can I get it.
    Thanks
    Csaba
    Last edited by hegcsab; 03-20-2020 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hegcsab View Post
    Hello Makino Users,
    We have bought a Makino FNC 106 from the age of 1986. We have all the manuals except the electrical book.

Thanks
    Csaba
    Can u share the manuals for your machine. I just acquired a leblond makino fnc106 .and didn't came with any manuals . If you can email me at [email protected]. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hegcsab View Post
    Hello Makino Users,

Thanks
    Csaba
    Hello!
    Can you please send me the documentation on this machine.
    I have electrical book on CNC Fanuc 6M. If need, may send this.

Best regards,
    Maxim