584,830 active members*
5,630 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Chinese lathe electrical help

I bought a princess auto 7" lathe (all I have room for right now) and I have been using the hell out of it. On my last project it was kind of large, I had brought out a 1" plate mostly round and was turning it round on the lathe, a kind of interrupted cut from my eyeballing it with saws and using the lathe to clean it up.

Every so often if I got greedy on a cut the lathe would stall out and a light would come on. No big deal shut it off, let it cool down and go again only now making a non interrupted cut I can't even take a 1 thou cut without it tripping. The fuse doesn't blow and neither does my circuit breaker but that overload trips all the time even when cold.

What did I break?

Re: Chinese lathe electrical help

What is the nature of the overload device? Probably a simple thermal breaker, you may have over taxed it, now needs replacement, I doubt if P.A. carries spares, check the make model No. and rating and find a replacement.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Have you understood what was the cause of the breakdown? I had a similar situation a week ago and I'm still confused about what to do.

Have you understood what was the cause of the breakdown? I had a similar situation a week ago and I'm still confused about what to do. This lathe is really important to me because I do not have extra money to buy a new one now. With all the problems related to electricity, I turned to residential electricians charlotte. However, I am not sure that they will be able to help me with this problem. So I will appreciate it if you tell me how you were able to fix your lathe. Thanks in advance.

One big failure of Chinese machines fitted with AC motors is the start capacitor failure rate.
    It pays to fit ones of N.A. origin etc.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

For sure, if they fix this issue they will have some nice engines, but till that moment, I prefer to import from other counties, even they are more expensive. For a long term perspective, they are better, and consume less energy. Considering the fact that I also get dual fuel tariffs, I am saving a lot of money per total. For those who hear for the first time about the dual fuel tariffs, you can check this guide on https://www.simplyswitch.com/energy/...al-fuel-deals/ and get more information to see which are the advantages of this system.