584,800 active members*
4,710 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Lexan Window Thickness

Lexan Window Thickness

So upon getting my over-the-garage door storage built in my garage, one of the support beams had a meeting with the front window of my VMC40. Didn’t seem like it took much to shatter it so it is probably best to replace them anyways. I’m going to buy some Lexan to replace them. What thickness is the Lexan from the factory? I don’t want to go off of the Windows I’m replacing because I don’t know if they are the “correct” thickness.

Re: Lexan Window Thickness

I would use 1/4 inch. Pretty tough stuff. I think 3/8 inch Lexan will stop a .45 ACP round point blank.

The way that window broke would indicate that it is not Lexan, but rather is acrylic. Not the best choice for impact resistance.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I would use 1/4 inch. Pretty tough stuff. I think 3/8 inch Lexan will stop a .45 ACP round point blank.

The way that window broke would indicate that it is not Lexan, but rather is acrylic. Not the best choice for impact resistance.
    Yea. Couldn’t have been more force than an average guy’s punch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post

What do you think about tempered and laminated glass?

Quote Originally Posted by NismoGT View Post
    What do you think about tempered and laminated glass?

The only advantage I would see is that would be more scratch resistant. But the impact resistance of Lexan is greater, and it may be less cost. I've not had any problems with the plastic windows in my lathe or mill. The lathe is 30 years old and the windows are still fine, but I don't know if they are original. The mill is only 2 years old and I know they are original. Not sure what the material is in either of them, but if I needed to replace them it would be with Lexan.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I plan on upgrading my to 3/8 with new bolt in pieces. I can readily get lexan, just haven't gotten there yet. Just would make me feel way safer.

Lexan, NOT glass and NOT perspex.
    1/8" or 3/16" would be fine. It's a window, not a crash barrier.

Cheers
    Roger

Fadal uses 3/16 Lexan you could also use 1/4 if you want even better. Fadal at first did use Tempered Glass on the first version of Full enclosure sheetmetal 1988 (you dont see many kinda rare but they had actual sliding doors on sides not the pull out panels). They went to Lexan when one of the Tempered panels shattered at a customers. Customer said "I was watching the part being machined and then all of a sudden *POP* the Glass disappeared"

Quote Originally Posted by rodney247 View Post
    Fadal uses 3/16 Lexan you could also use 1/4 if you want even better. Fadal at first did use Tempered Glass on the first version of Full enclosure sheetmetal 1988 (you dont see many kinda rare but they had actual sliding doors on sides not the pull out panels). They went to Lexan when one of the Tempered panels shattered at a customers. Customer said "I was watching the part being machined and then all of a sudden *POP* the Glass disappeared"
    Yea that’s why, if it were the route I was taking, what have used the *laminated* tempered glass rather than just standard tempered glass.

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Lexan, NOT glass and NOT perspex.
    1/8" or 3/16" would be fine. It's a window, not a crash barrier.

Cheers
    Roger
    I’m certain that all walls around the machine have to be “crash barriers” even if it’s transparent.

I installed 3/16" Lexan from local homeless depot because that's the thickness that was in there.. I think 1/4" will tighten up in there better because the 3/16" clamped okay but not real snug. 1/8" will be a very loose fit.
    48 in. x 96 in. x 0.187 in. Polycarbonate Sheet $130 #206792207