584,812 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > What top wrench do you guys use for ER25 spindles?

What top wrench do you guys use for ER25 spindles?

I am having a little trouble finding a reasonably priced wrench that fits an ER25 spindle. I am not talking about the bottom wrench that slots into the collet nut, they are a dime a dozen. It's the top wrench, to hold the spindle still while you tighten the nut with the other wrench, that is elusive.

This is the only one I was able to find anywhere:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PARLEC-25ER....c100667.m2042
    but, for some reason, it costs $37.... I measured the spindle grip area at 27mm so..... I bought a regular 27mm wrench, but.... it doesn't fit.... so, I bought a 28mm wrench and that doesn't fit either....

So, before I spend $37 on this Parlec, are there any other options that you guys know of?

Re: What top wrench do you guys use for ER25 spindles?

What part doesn't fit? You may have to grind a standard open end wrench to thin out the end a bit to fit. That's what I did for a different size collet.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Design one that you can use away from the machine similar to LINK

If you have MT3 tools like this
    .... then maybe a hole with 2 flats to stop rotation would work

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    What part doesn't fit? You may have to grind a standard open end wrench to thin out the end a bit to fit. That's what I did for a different size collet.
    The issue is in both width and height. A standard 28mm (or 27mm) wrench is too thick for the flat slot on the ER25 tool holder and the opening is too narrow to fully fit over the flat area. It only pinches the end. A 29mm wrench is too wide to properly grip it... It's all very annoying.

I didn't think about grinding it but I can have a go with my trusty Ryobi angle grinder. It is only a little under and oversized so hopefully it won't take too long. What did you use to grind your wrench?

The other thing I was thinking of trying is using my machine to cut a 28mm wide slot in a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate as a temporary solution.

I guess it was naive to think that, just this once, there would be a product made for CNC machines that wasn't 4 times the price of the same part made for something else....

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Design one that you can use away from the machine similar to LINK

If you have MT3 tools like this
    .... then maybe a hole with 2 flats to stop rotation would work
    My spindle is an ER25 MTC spindle and, apparently, nobody makes something like that for MTC spindles. I guess I am the only guy on earth to use an ER25 MTC spindle..... or something...

I have quick change toolholders for my R8 spindle. They are awesome because you can change tools with a simple Allen Key. It's a shame that such innovations have eluded the MTC spindle market.

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post

I didn't think about grinding it but I can have a go with my trusty Ryobi angle grinder. It is only a little under and oversized so hopefully it won't take too long. What did you use to grind your wrench?
    I modified a Harbor Freight end wrench, and used my trusty Bosch angle grinder.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I modified a Harbor Freight end wrench, and used my trusty Bosch angle grinder.

I managed to get mine ground using my not so trusty Ryobi angle grinder. It wasn't easy but I got there in the end.