585,573 active members*
3,489 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc 6m how to setup/config tools procedure ?

Fanuc 6m how to setup/config tools procedure ?

Hi guys,

i've got this fanuc 6m-b okuma and i bought a dnc server to plug it instead of the computer cable

can someone tell me how to i setup the tools and calibrate them.

i've got like 8 tools and i would like to set them up and calibrate them so that way when i do my CAM the machine can pick it up automatically

do i have to take the caliper and measure every tools ? and like how those it work ? is there like a auto-detect ?

or do i just do my CAM and set library there and hope for the best ? like some of those might be shorter in length or do i use and offset ?

thanks for the help and advice.

Re: Fanuc 6m how to setup/config tools procedure ?

so i found this maybe it will provide some help on how to setup tooling on fanuc 6m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U99asuDT97I

Quote Originally Posted by k-linkz View Post
    This video demonstrates how much easier it is to set up a Fadal vs Fanuc controlled machines. Is there a similar process that I am missing? I haven't run a Fanuc mill in almost 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fadal Error View Post
    This video demonstrates how much easier it is to set up a Fadal vs Fanuc controlled machines. Is there a similar process that I am missing? I haven't run a Fanuc mill in almost 20 years.
    maybe if you add a DNC server like this. but that pretty much what i found.

From my understanding , you load the G-code and than you do an work offset on axes XYZ . from the machine origin to the part you want to work.

maybe someone can explain it better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Avi3JBWiH0

I'm looking for an easier way to set tool length offsets. Right now I jog to zero on the zero setter and memorize the number, then switch to the offset screen. I even have to type in a cancellation number for the old TLO first. For example If it reads -10.000, I have to type 10.0 to get the offset to zero. Then I can enter the number that I jogged to.

On Fadals you jog to zero on the zero setter and hit the function that stores that number into the TLO for the tool that is in the spindle automatically.

Another thing that annoys me is the the tool offset screen doesn't show the tool diameter, so I have to go around to the side of the machine and figure out what tools I have loaded in the carousel.

Surely there is a better way.

Quote Originally Posted by Fadal Error View Post
    I'm looking for an easier way to set tool length offsets. Right now I jog to zero on the zero setter and memorize the number, then switch to the offset screen. I even have to type in a cancellation number for the old TLO first. For example If it reads -10.000, I have to type 10.0 to get the offset to zero. Then I can enter the number that I jogged to.

On Fadals you jog to zero on the zero setter and hit the function that stores that number into the TLO for the tool that is in the spindle automatically.

Another thing that annoys me is the the tool offset screen doesn't show the tool diameter, so I have to go around to the side of the machine and figure out what tools I have loaded in the carousel.

Surely there is a better way.
    Not sure if it would work, but wouldn't be easier to load your tools specs in a library in the CAD/CAM software and once they are loaded all you have to do is set the zero offset and run the program ?

also found this post maybe it will help

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/fanuc...t-problem.html

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by k-linkz View Post
    Not sure if it would work, but wouldn't be easier to load your tools specs in a library in the CAD/CAM software and once they are loaded all you have to do is set the zero offset and run the program ?

also found this post maybe it will help

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/fanuc...t-problem.html

cheers
    I'm programming for 5 machines from one computer. I want to know what tool is in each slot of the carousel. It's easy to figure it out in Fadals UI. You can see the diameters of each tool in the tool offset screen. I have a few standard tools that are almost always loaded in slots 1-5 on each machine. Then I have constantly changing tools for each job, including various drill sizes.