585,712 active members*
4,407 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Getting Xbox Controller to work with Windows 10 under Mach3

Getting Xbox Controller to work with Windows 10 under Mach3

I have recently moved most of my CNC machines over to Windows 10. For the most part without issues. One issue was getting a Xbox 360 or Xbox one controller to work with Mach3. I have done it so many times I wrote down my procedure.

1. Download and install the Mach3 Xbox 360 plugin.
    2. Plug Xbox one Controller into PC.

At this point if you start Mach3 it will abort the plugin as some important pieces are missing.

3. Download and install directX 9.0C. This installs a couple missing drivers needed by the plugin.
    4. Reboot

This works and the plugin is not recognized. My Xbox 360 controller works just fine. The Xbox One controller needs a little more work as the vendor and product ids must be set. To get these make sure your Xbox one controller is plugged in and run dxdiag. Go to the input tab and take a look at the xbox controller listing. It will display the vendor and product ID fields.

These can be plugged into the plugin and it should work.

Some UC300ETH issues
    If I am using a UC300ETH motion controller it works a little but jogging is very slow. Works fine with other motion controllers. It even works with the UC100 motion controller.

I hope this helps others. I reported the UC300ETH issue on the CNCDrive forums (Maker of the UC300ETH)
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

Re: Getting Xbox Controller to work with Windows 10 under Mach3

Thanks.

Another way to do it would be to use a USB keyboard encoder. Then you would just wire the appropriate keyboard buttons to the micro-switches on an arcade joystick. This method would work with any software and any joystick.

I plan on adding a couple of arcade joysticks for jogging each axis on my control panel at some point.

I did some more experimenting and found out something new.

The issue with the UC300ETH and windows 10 is not jut the Xbox360 plugin.

The problem is with any Joystick interface. IE the following plugins do not work with the UC300ETH and Windows 10.
    Xbox360Controller
    XBoxShilling
    JoyPad

So this looks like a fundamental interface problem between the UC100 and Mach3, not an actual plugin problem.
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

A couple individuals have reported they do have the combination working. But on looking at their configuration a little closer. They are running both an older version of the UC300ETH plugin and Windows 10.

I am running the following versions (Latest)

-Windows 10 Pro build 1903 (also does it on 1809)
    -Mach 3 version 3.043.062
    -UC300ETH with version 1.020 plugin
    -Xbox360 controller plugin 2.4.1.0 (does it on shiller and joypad plugins as well)

I will try an older version of the UC300ETH plugin and see how that works.