584,857 active members*
4,726 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Who is using a ShuttleXpress as a CNC Pendant?

Hi All,

I'm interested in finding out how many people are using the ShuttleXpress or ShuttleXpress Pro as their CNC Pendant as many of the CNC software controllers have drivers and plugins for them. This includes Mach3 and Mach4, UCCNC, Centroid Acorn, LinuxCNC and PathPilot.

I had been using the ShuttleXpress for a number of yeas as I like the shuttle ring for fast coarse movements and the more traditional jog dial for fine adjustments and movement.
    The issue with the ShuttleXpress is that it has not been designed with the machine shop in mind. Swarf gets under the buttons, jamming them up and the flat nature of the device means it needs to be placed on a flat surface that isn't always easy to find.

To remedy these shortcomings I designed and prototyped the ShuttleJogger, and have been using it on my machine for the last 12 months or so. It's compatible with the existing ShuttleXpress drivers and is in a form factor of a traditional MPG dial and Pendant.

The ShuttleJogger dial itself is the same size as a standard 60mm MPG dial, and mounts using 3 bolts on the same PCD as the MPG and could be mistaken for a MPG. In this version, it can be mounted into a custom or existing CNC control panel with the 5 ShuttleXpress switches wired into the panels switches.

The 2nd version is where the ShuttleJogger is installed into a traditional cnc pendant enclosure. This is the version that I use on my machines. The pendant is very compact and much easier to use that the ShuttleXpress. The swarf doesn't jam the buttons or interfere with the shuttle and jog dials.

I'm looking at whether I should do a production run and make them available for sale. It depends on whether there is enough interest as there are so many pendants on the market at the moment, there may not be room for yet another pendant. It may just end up being something that I use on the systems I build.

Any thoughts or comments are always welcome.

Cheers,

Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ShuttleJogger_M1.jpg   ShuttleJogger_M2.jpg   ShuttleJogger_M3.jpg   ShuttleJogger_M4.jpg  

-------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Re: Who is using a ShuttleXpress as a CNC Pendant?

I use a shuttle express for a Centroid based mill. It does a good job. At $60 US they are somewhat disposable. My first one died after 7 years but I had bought two. My interest iwill depend on the price point.. and how much it costs to ship from your location If I was to upgrade the Centroid wireless would be the logical step up

Re: Who is using a ShuttleXpress as a CNC Pendant?

Hi,
    Thanks for your input. Yes I went through a couple of ShuttleXpress units before I designed the Shuttle Jogger. I was getting swarf under the buttons stopping them from being able to be pressed.

The bare Jogger with cables would probably work out around the $60 mark.
    The complete pendant would be higher, maybe over the $100 mark.

As to shipping, shipping is shipping. I think Airmail to the USA is $25 to $30. Basically whatever Australia Post charges

Cheers
    Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store