584,802 active members*
4,949 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > URGENT - STEPPER MOTOR DRIVER ISSUE

URGENT - STEPPER MOTOR DRIVER ISSUE

Hello everyone,

I have a 4 axis 6040Z chinese CNC router, (i have never used the 4th axis). i have around 2 years with my machine and as of right now, I haven't had a single issue with it, I do a lot of keychains, wood letters a lot of stuff)

my issue is the following recently I'm working on a project of 300 keychains which I'm machining in groups of 20 pcs (2 1/2 hours aprox) I have been doing 2 batches a day (since this is not my main job). suddently my Z axis started to miss steps like crazy and messed up the whole batch.

I noticied that with the controller ON, I could easilly move the Z stepper motor nob with my hands, I immediatelly knew something was wrong. I though the motor got damaged, after a few forum investigation I tried switching the 4th axis stepper driver to be now the Z axis stepper driver and everything got back to normal.

Today the same thing happen but with the X axis, now I am completely out of work and need a quick solution (if there is).

my stepper drivers are a YOOCNC YOC335 VDC: +24 -+30V
    configuration is:
    1600 Pulse/rev
    0% decay mode
    3.5A peak 1.8A RMS
    Half current

NOTE: Only thing new I have done to the machine is that 2 weeks ago, I extended the cable from the controler to each stepper motor by 10 FT ( before it was around 2FT) so i extended so I can place the controler in a better spot, I did a good conection with good care on aislating each wire, good tin soldering etc etc.

The cable I bought is this https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-FEET-18-...72.m2749.l2649

Please let me know if you have had the same issue and how you fix it.

Re: URGENT - STEPPER MOTOR DRIVER ISSUE

Also I have an 1.5 KW INVERTER (i live in Dominican Republic, and electricity sometimes goes off, not by much maybe 5 or 10 mins, but since i can Not afford the loss of a work I have an Inverter.

ericks Guest

Sorry to hear about your problems. Personally i would keep the motor cables as short as possible

Did you extend the cables or did you replace them completely ( one cable from driver to the motor ). I prefer one cable, NO soldering halfway.
    Did you connect the shielding on one side only. Otherwise you create a ground loop with trouble risking.
    Changing cabling is a risk if you aren't sure how to. There are pulses of high current which disturb other signals.

Quote Originally Posted by Toinvd View Post
    Did you extend the cables or did you replace them completely ( one cable from driver to the motor ). I prefer one cable, NO soldering halfway.
    Did you connect the shielding on one side only. Otherwise you create a ground loop with trouble risking.
    Changing cabling is a risk if you aren't sure how to. There are pulses of high current which disturb other signals.
    Hi Toinvd,

Thanks for your reply, I did not changed the whole cable, I cut it and added the new piece, regarding the shielding (the section where the new cable meets de old cable I did not shielded with anything other than a lot of 3M tape.

I think you are right maybe having 2 joins is causing the trouble?

One thing to note is that the original cable of the cnc machine (from controller to motor) is not shielded.

I just fast shipped the following stepperdrivers since they seems to be very good.

STEPPERONLINE CNC Stepper Motor Driver 1.0-4.2A 20-50VDC 1/128 Micro-step Resolutions for Nema 17 and 23 Stepper Motor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5VPSFN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gFvbDbD718VZ1

Let’s say I switch the whole cable to be now 1 piece (for each motor of course), should I sort of shield where the cable meets each 4 pin plug? If so can you explain me how?

Hi Charlimotin.
    3M tape is not for shielding, but isolation.
    For the cabling special if it's a bit longer, best practice is to use shielded cables.
    The drivers you ordered are close to the ones that I use for years. just a newer type. I expect you will be happy using them.
    On the driver side you connect the cables to the 4 pin plug, and the shielding to the ground of your driver cabinet.
    On the motor side you only connect the four wires and use some 3M tape or shrinking tube to take care that the shield will not make any contact.