584,865 active members*
4,913 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 5 12345

Re: Vetric Aspire nose dive on Z Axis

Quote Originally Posted by robwiacek View Post
    I assume, you’re asking about where the Z plunged.

So it’s obvious you haven’t seen any of my other conversations with other contributors.
    See above for answers.
    Thanks for staying involved. I appreciate it.
    I’m purchasing 10 Vetric Aspire sears for the school I’m trying to create a STEM program.
    I’m not going to tell them of this till I go as far as I can.
    Tomorrow will be a good test to see if all my steps have amounted to anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So if I'm understanding you the endmill just all of a sudden plunged into the part and the x and y axis stopped moving and the endmill burned the mdf?

1) What happened next., did you do a tool check and restart the program from the point it froze up? Did it in fact freeze up where it plunged in? Did it just automatically go back to the correct depth and resume cutting the part?

2) What happened where the slot is at, the one that goes from the dish and runs completely off the mdf? Was that already in the piece of material or did the machine "run away on you"?

3) I have no clue what you are talking about with what you are purchasing, are you just using the trial version of Aspire?

I’m purchasing 10 Vetric Aspire sears for the school I’m trying to create a STEM program.
    I’m not going to tell them of this till I go as far as I can.
    This has nothing to do with Aspire. It's either a Mach3 issue, or your machine is stalling and losing position.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    This has nothing to do with Aspire. It's either a Mach3 issue, or your machine is stalling and losing position.
    He has been told this over and over, Aspire creates the gcode the controller (computer) and the machine runs it. Very basic stuff.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Here’s another run of the program.
    After reviewing the G Code in Mach 3 there is nothing to say that it’s a coding problem.
    The machine sounded like it was grinding a bit on the X axis.
    Appx 5” into the cut the first time it nose dived.
    Now appx 7” into the cut it made that fringing sound causing the PRZ to go off thus showing that long groove in the left side of the cut.
    I’m going to open up the cover on the ball screw on X and check the locking collets.
    I’ll answer your questions after I review the ball screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    So if I'm understanding you the endmill just all of a sudden plunged into the part and the x and y axis stopped moving and the endmill burned the mdf?
    YES
    1) What happened next., did you do a tool check and restart the program from the point it froze up? Did it in fact freeze up where it plunged in? Did it just automatically go back to the correct depth and resume cutting the part?
    YES... the PRZ was now off so it made no sense to start from the error without trying to locate the original PRZ.

2) What happened where the slot is at, the one that goes from the dish and runs completely off the mdf? Was that already in the piece of material or did the machine "run away on you"?
    That slot was NOT in the material. So yes the machine took off.
    3) I have no clue what you are talking about with what you are purchasing, are you just using the trial version of Aspire?
    I’m using an older version with a borrowed PC to get 3D parts easier to make.

I’m purchasing NEW software for my school and when I get it and load it at school I’ll run it again.
    If the same issues occur, I’ll reach out to them.
    Thanks for your continued interest.

The machine sounded like it was grinding a bit on the X axis.
    Appx 5” into the cut the first time it nose dived.
    Now appx 7” into the cut it made that fringing sound causing the PRZ to go off thus
    The noise your hearing is the motors stalling, or losing position.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Yup[
    So when I stopped the program, rewind, go to zero..... this is what happened.
    I m clueless now.
    I think it’s the motor but I’ll check the connections.

IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190619/c6411cf55f43de3c99253dc85e229efe.jpg[/IMG]

[WONDER IF GHIS HAS ANT EFFECT?QUOTE=ger21;2301812]The noise your hearing is the motors stalling, or losing position.[/QUOTE]

[WONDER IF GHIS HAS ANT EFFECT?QUOTE=ger21;2301812]The noise your hearing is the motors stalling, or losing position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I cleaned it all out.
    Kept my eyes on the call screw, walked away and it happened again.
    There is a fast movement in Y when it moves back to the next line to cut; I’m wondering if I can slow that movement down.

Did you see my last comments where I cleaned everything up and it happened again. No Nose Dive, but it dropped a bit and messed up the PRZ
    So, I went back to the original PRZ, restarted from the line it goofed up on and it was running fine.
    I’m about 1/3rd through had to stop.
    I wrote down the line to go back and try from there tomorrow.

Said Ger21 The noise your hearing is the motors stalling, or losing position. Once again its the machine, not the gcode. If the motors are stalling or missing steps your running program is going to screw up. Either the machine is not set up right or your binding and causing the motor issue as above. Once you understand that you will find your problem. If it was my machine I would loosen one at a time the coupling or remove the belt and see IF I could move that axis without binding. If they are all free and move without issues turn your attention to the setup for the controller and the computer running the Mach3.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Have you lubricated everything yet? Now that you have explained things better your definitely losing steps now you need to figure out the cause. Start with lubrication now that you have cleaned things up since it needs to be done regardless. Then run the program again and report back.

Also please post the feeds and speeds you're running for the part just to eliminate the possibility it has something to do with the toolpaths. If that's what was in the pdf I can't download it for some reason so let me know and I will look at it on my computer. Also I believe Gerry has said before that some of the Chinese machines have counterfeit Mach3 controller's maybe he can chime in and help you figure out if you have a legit Mach 3 control system. I'm just throwing some things out there since I don't use Mach3 and don't know if it could be causing the problem. Something definitely isn't right with the machine if it's running away on you, once again either Google the symptoms or maybe Gerry will help you out. I'm sure what's going on with your machine has happened to others and the information is available if you spend some time searching for it.

WHY DO THEY STALL / LOOSE POSITION?
    Did you see my last comments where I cleaned everything up and it happened again. No Nose Dive, but it dropped a bit and messed up the PRZ
    So, I went back to the original PRZ, restarted from the line it goofed up on and it was running fine.
    I’m about 1/3rd through had to stop.
    I wrote down the line to go back and try from there tomorrow.

I’ve owned this machine since 2014 or so. Used but in good shape.
    I replaced the Y coupling once.
    I lubed once with the wrong stuff.
    I’m not sure what to use on the ball screws.
    Can you recommend something from available from Lowe’s or Depot?
    Maybe that White grease in a spray can?
    Since the problem is in the Y and Z movement, I guess I’ll check those first?

I also saw you NEVER lube the ball screws.
    Well? Do you?

I cleaned it all out.
    There is a fast movement in Y when it moves back to the next line to cut; I’m wondering if I can slow that movement down.

The fast movement is your rapid speed, you should be able to change it in Mach 3, that actually might be part of the problem. If it rapids too fast for the mechanical and motor limitations you will lose steps and that makes it lose location. Post a video of it running the part and messing up.

If you have too fast of a rapid set and your machine can't handle it you will lose steps. This however still wouldn't explain a runaway machine, so you probably have a few things going on. Post some pictures of the machine and the electronics may be something will be obvious to someone reading the thread.

See my post above #51. My ball screw and R&P system is cleaned and lubed on a regular basis.

WHY DO THEY STALL / LOOSE POSITION?
    Could be a hundred different reasons.

Binding.
    Lack of lubrication, or dust buildup in the bearings.
    Power Supply problem.
    Wiring problem.
    PC problem.
    Mach3 problem.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    I cleaned it all out.

The fast movement is your rapid speed, you should be able to change it in Mach 3, that actually might be part of the problem. If it rapids too fast for the mechanical and motor limitations you will lose steps and that makes it lose location. Post a video of it running the part and messing up.

If you have too fast of a rapid set and your machine can't handle it you will lose steps. This however still wouldn't explain a runaway machine, so you probably have a few things going on. Post some pictures of the machine and the electronics may be something will be obvious to someone reading the thread.[/QUOTE]

Today Thursday June 20th

I continue to search. I noticed a tiny crack in the coupling. It’s still very tight. But here is today’s cut.... I’m getting tired of this. Just asked Automation Technologies for parts

If you have too fast of a rapid set and your machine can't handle it you will lose steps. This however still wouldn't explain a runaway machine, so you probably have a few things going on. Post some pictures of the machine and the electronics may be something will be obvious to someone reading the thread.

Today Thursday June 20th

I continue to search. I noticed a tiny crack in the coupling. It’s still very tight. But here is today’s cut.... I’m getting tired of this. Just asked Automation Technologies for parts

Unless the crack you see is not a normal part of the coupling and its loose on the shaft then replacing parts may not solve your problem. Its interesting that you have been told over and over again what it could be and what to check but you seem to ignore all. I will check back from time to time to see how it comes out but no more comments from me.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post

Today Thursday June 20th

Unless the crack you see is not a normal part of the coupling and its loose on the shaft then replacing parts may not solve your problem. Its interesting that you have been told over and over again what it could be and what to check but you seem to ignore all. I will check back from time to time to see how it comes out but no more comments from me.[/QUOTE]

Problem with trying to video where it happens, is you don’t know when it’s gonna happen.
    It’s nearly an hour long program.

So it’s not the software.
    I slowed down the feed to60
    I cut Corian at 100 so MDF at 60 with minor stepover shouldn’t do it.

I’ll borrow my sons Go Pro at record an entire run. Hopefully I can edit it to see and HEAR the stagger.

That tiny crack on the coupling does nothing.

Just my two cents here, without reading the entire thread but if it's loosing steps which is what your last photo looks like to me, it may be the driver for the axis. The reason I say this is that because I have a G540 and for a similar reason my Z kept loosing steps and ultimately it turned out to be a faulty driver causing the issue.

Is there a way you can swap the axis drivers, cables, steppers for comparison to each other?

Adam,
    Gecko G540, Rack and Pinion Drives-X and A axis, 1/2-10 5 Start Acme-Z Axis
    4-THK HSR 25 Linear Slides, KL23H2100-35-4B, Power Supply-KL-600-48 48V

Page 3 of 5 12345