584,817 active members*
4,810 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 5 1234

Re: Vetric Aspire nose dive on Z Axis

Ho Rob - Don't have to see the G code just play the simulation and see if it drops. That's what simulations are for... Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Ho Rob - Don't have to see the G code just play the simulation and see if it drops. That's what simulations are for... Peter
    It’s not the greatest video. But I’m sure there’s nothing wrong in the simulation.
    It’s gotta be mechanical.
    I’ll try the clean up tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by robwiacek View Post
    Yes it does, but not sure if you can view the G Code

Just open the cnc file with notepad ++ or visual studio. Just curious you said you use master cam, how do you not know how to use aspire? Master Cam is thousands of dollars and I would assume that if you have a seat you would be a proficient designer and know how to create toolpaths, Aspire is very simple to use compared to master cam. Years ago I had a rep trying to sell us a seat and it was around 15k so we decided to just pay a design firm to do are design work and prototyping since the parts were being made overseas anyway. Can you post some pictures of the tool paths you are using for the design, is it a 3d tool path? Why don't you just use master cam to draw the part and see if you have the same issue? That way you can eliminate any possibility that it's the Gcode.

Are you running dust collection while it was cutting? If so is it grounded? I had static electricity make mine do that once.

If I had a choice of Mastercam or Aspire I wouldn't be using Aspire very often.Either is capable of doing the job and both can simulate well.In the settings options of Aspire there is a choice of resolution and an estimate of how much slower that particular resolution is likely to be than the fastest and coarsest simulation.Given the nature of this particular problem the high resolution would be the one to go for and zoom in on the general area of concern.To check the gcode you can open the post pocessed file using wordpad and search for a negative Z value of more than -0.25-assuming you are using the top of the piece as Z0,if not use the value from the top and adjust to suit.

If the problem isn't in the software you might have an epic amount of fault finding to do.Where do you start and what equipment can you apply?Is the computer doing anything else while controlling the machine?Is the electricity supply stable or did something on the same circuit switch on and cause a fluctuation?Is there cross talk between the cables?Is there a loose coupling?

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    Just open the cnc file with notepad ++ or visual studio. Just curious you said you use master cam, how do you not know how to use aspire? Master Cam is thousands of dollars and I would assume that if you have a seat you would be a proficient designer and know how to create toolpaths, Aspire is very simple to use compared to master cam. Years ago I had a rep trying to sell us a seat and it was around 15k so we decided to just pay a design firm to do are design work and prototyping since the parts were being made overseas anyway. Can you post some pictures of the tool paths you are using for the design, is it a 3d tool path? Why don't you just use master cam to draw the part and see if you have the same issue? That way you can eliminate any possibility that it's the Gcode.
    A few years ago I won a grant from the state to become a cnc programmer /. operator.
    7000 interviewed, 7 were selected.(Mastercam X5)

It was a 2 year course set into 5 months.
    I’ve forgotten more than I can tell you.
    I can’t remember how to draw the bowl shape and tool path it, thus the Aspire is much easier to work with.
    I’ll post a picture later today
    Thanks for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by milo30 View Post
    Are you running dust collection while it was cutting? If so is it grounded? I had static electricity make mine do that once.
    Yes. Its grounded through the outlet. It’s all metal cable (MC) for outlets in my lil shop

Yes. Its grounded through the outlet. It’s all metal cable (MC) for outlets in my lil shop

The dust collector ductwork and fittings can conduct static electricity. Needs to have a ground wire Inside the duct and fittings leading back to a grounding point. Your outlet may or may not be grounded, it depends. Just because it has a ground wire does not mean its connected all the way back to the system ground correctly.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

I am guessing that the Mastercam training provider was milking the system in a big way if it took five months to cover the system.I did the training for 5 axis machining in two bursts of two high intensity days.We did two days on the basics and then went back to our companies for a month or so to put it into practice and then went back for another two days on the more advanced stuff.I have more recently tried vectric software and while it computes toolpaths very quickly,I find it really hard work for drafting and horrible for copying and pasting entities.To get back to the substance of this thread both packages have good simulation and using it might lead to an answer.

You’re 100%wrong.
    This was a program to reintroduce unemployed workers back to being productive. No one had any real works experiences in any Cnc equipment.
    Along with the MCX program we were required to have refreshers on Math and English.
    I already had a degree but you had to do this.
    We started out in the class room learning MCX5
    Then went to work jn the shop on a lathe using wax before moving in to aluminum.
    My goal was 100% to learn to design, program and operate a CNC Router to build guitars. In fact during the class, I actually purchased that Kl1212 that I use today.
    It’s ludicrous to think a novice could learn anything remotely productive in 2 days.

Just one quick question that hasn't been answered, what type of tool path are you using in Aspire?

I’m using a roughing path with the .5” ball mill
    I also gave the finish tool path ready to go.
    I’ve had some other input about possibly a grounding issue.
    Run a copper wire in the dust collector tubes back to the collectors grounding point.
    Oh well who knows
    Hangin it up for the night.

I’m using a roughing path with the .5” ball mill
    I also gave the finish tool path ready to go.
    I’ve had some other input about possibly a grounding issue.
    Run a copper wire in the dust collector tubes back to the collectors grounding point.
    Oh well who knows
    Hangin it up for the night.

But what kind of tool path? Are you using a 3d tool path? If so do the Google search I posted previously and start reading about the problems some have with 3d toolpaths in Aspire. It might point you in the right direction or eliminate the possibility of it having something to do with your Aspire settings. The router you have is a pretty well built machine and if it's newer and doesn't have a lot of hours on is well lubricated and it and isn't filthy I'm not so sure about it being mechanical issue.

I have seen a few people have strange issues due to noise and also due to having a pc with a low single thread processing capability.

Like I said before I talked to a guy who was having a problem with a 3d vectric part that was causing his router to lose steps and act erratic. He posted the file for me to test and I didn't have a problem running it, he decided to replace his steppers and drives for DMM servos and the problem didn't go away. He only had a problem with a this one 3d file that had a lot of z movement along with simultaneous xy axis movement. Ultimately he tried using a different pc and guess what the problem was no longer a problem. It turned out to be the pc didn't have a good enough processor to run 3d vectric parts, I don't know if other cam software has the same problem.

With out trying to run the file on a different machine or having someone look at the Aspire file you might have a hard time ruling out the toolpaths. You would also need to talk to some Mach 3 users to see if they have had any problems with a lack of processing power from the cncpc. The only reason I'm not leaning towards noise or mechanical problems is that you said you can run parts designed in different software. One way would be to use one of the vectric free 3d designs to see if you have any issues with the z dropping. If you can run 10 different designs that you know are good to go and you don't have issues than there's your answer.

Great info
    Thanks for taking the time.
    I have hundreds of files most are 2d.
    Pocket cuts, hole drilling, engraving, profile cuts.
    No problem with any of those programs.
    So I’m not sure if this Aspire is a 3D program as the cutter starts a Z0 top of part and then drops into making a dish.
    My part is 24” square MDF .75 thick
    The dish is circular at 22” in diameter.
    At most, it’s let’s say .25 deep ( just guessing)
    I’m trying to make a 28’ arc in that 22” circle.
    This sanding dish allows me to sand the ribs on acoustic guitars I’m building

On the one I can recall who thought it was software related, it turned out the gcode file created had so many tiny little movements his machine could not keep up and started losing a step here and there. Soon it ended up a disaster.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Great info
    Thanks for taking the time.
    I have hundreds of files most are 2d.
    Pocket cuts, hole drilling, engraving, profile cuts.
    No problem with any of those programs.
    So I’m not sure if this Aspire is a 3D program as the cutter starts a Z0 top of part and then drops into making a dish.
    My part is 24” square MDF .75 thick
    The dish is circular at 22” in diameter.
    At most, it’s let’s say .25 deep ( just guessing)
    I’m trying to make a 28’ arc in that 22” circle.
    This sanding dish allows me to sand the ribs on acoustic guitars I’m building

Are you choosing a 3d toolpath in Aspire? I don't know how else to say it, you will know if you chose 3d or just a pocket. It sounds like you are using 3d toolpaths and there has been a bunch of suggestions on what could cause the problem. At this point it doesn't seem like you want to put in the work and want someone to troubleshoot for you over the internet and tell you what to do. My advice at this point is to hire someone locally to come out and look at your machine and the file that you are trying to cut since you won't post the information.

Good luck getting it figured out Rob let us know what happens.

Are you choosing a 3d toolpath in Aspire? I don't know how else to say it, you will know if you chose 3d or just a pocket. It sounds like you are using 3d toolpaths and there has been a bunch of suggestions on what could cause the problem. At this point it doesn't seem like you want to put in the work and want someone to troubleshoot for you over the internet and tell you what to do. My advice at this point is to hire someone locally to come out and look at your machine and the file that you are trying to cut since you won't post the information.

At this point, it doesn’t seem like you want to put in the work.
    That’s an interesting comment.
    So far I’ve gotten great information, yes... even from you.
    I’ve check my parameters, changed some of those parameters, identified the tool paths and explained them as well as I could.
    I’ve considered electronic noise, added a ground cable inside the dust hoses and pipes all the way back to the collector itself.
    I’ve opened up all terminals, used a low pressure air hose and vacuum to eliminate dust.
    I’ve added grounds to all important areas where needed. I revisited Mach 3 to tune the 3 axis’s.
    I’ve run both tough and finish tool paths above the surfaces, air cuts if you will.
    So to infer “It doesn’t seem like you want to put in the work” is an unfair and quite frankly untrue.
    Thanks for your time. It was helpful.
    Tomorrow I’ll run the 2 programs on foam and see if all this work that I didn’t want to do, pays any positive results.
    Sincerely.

And BTW... what else can I post to prove to you.... I am diligently active in this problem solving issue?

And BTW... what else can I post to prove to you.... I am diligently active in this problem solving issue?

Now that you finally posted a picture you might get some good suggestions, you still should post either the cad file or screen shots of the cad and cam along with the simulated part, toolpaths and so on. Also now that I've seen the part I really want to see a video of it being cut along with showing the monitor showing what mach3 is doing when it messes up. Have you rerun the same part to see if was just a isolated incident or if it's repeatable?

1) what is up with the slot that runs off the part? (how did it happen?)
    2) where was the start point for the part machining?
    3) what is the dark circle that looks like burnt wood? (how did it happen?)

Now that you finally posted a picture you might get some good suggestions, you still should post either the cad file or screen shots of the cad and cam along with the simulated part, toolpaths and so on. Also now that I've seen the part I really want to see a video of it being cut along with showing the monitor showing what mach3 is doing when it messes up. Have you rerun the same part to see if was just a isolated incident or if it's repeatable?

1) what is up with the slot that runs off the part? (how did it happen?) After the plunge happened as shown with the dot on the left, the PRZ must have been skewed when the ball mill pulled out if the hole. It seems that at that point, the Z was off along with the X
    2) where was the start point for the part machining?
    The PRZ Is of course lower left of the MDF block. The starting point is at the 6:00 position of the circle more or less.
    3) what is the dark circle that looks like burnt wood? (how did it happen?)
    I assume, you’re asking about where the Z plunged.

So it’s obvious you haven’t seen any of my other conversations with other contributors.
    See above for answers.
    Thanks for staying involved. I appreciate it.
    I’m purchasing 10 Vetric Aspire sears for the school I’m trying to create a STEM program.
    I’m not going to tell them of this till I go as far as I can.
    Tomorrow will be a good test to see if all my steps have amounted to anything.

Page 2 of 5 1234