585,758 active members*
4,572 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > MC V9.1 partially locks up after sitting for a while. Win7-64

MC V9.1 partially locks up after sitting for a while. Win7-64

My screen locks up in MC v9.1 after I let it sit open for a while. I guess it's relative to either the sleep or screen saver but haven't had much time to play with it. When I come back to the comp and try to make a mod to the geometry nothing changes. I can't chain (at least visibly) any of the geometry, etc.

If I'm working in MC and don't walk away and allow the machine either sleep or screen save it continues to work fine so it's not just time related.

After it 'locks up' if I save, shut down and reopen MC (not a re-boot) it works fine again and I didn't lose anything in the shut-down re-start.

I'll be making the transition to win10 in the near future...that will be fun.....

JohnF

Re: MC V9.1 partially locks up after sitting for a while. Win7-64

It very well could be sleep or hibernate. I assist our site's IT manager and we have just about all those features turned off because the have a habit of messing with applications.

1) Totally disable all screen savers.
    2) Disable computer sleep. This is different from display sleep.
    3) Disable hibernate completely. This is the really important one; it's more invasive than computer sleep.

For all our cam workstations we set the displays to sleep after a time. This has never caused us any issues at all. We have completely disabled computer sleep and hibernation since they have caused us a great deal of problems in the past. You didn't mention which version of windows you have but, assuming you're on windows 7, the first two settings are in the Power section of control panel but hibernate takes a bit more digging.

I don't think you can disable hibernate from the control panel but you can do it from the command line.

Type this in command line window:
    powercfg.exe /hibernate off

After you do that you can delete the hibernate file which is no longer used and and can be quite large.
    Hiberfil.sys
    NX 10.0.3

Thats a pretty elderly version.Does the hardware and the OS work nicely with old programs?

I had trouble with V8 on Win7 so now I use virtual box to run xp for Mastercam.

Hey, Loops (Big Bang reference)

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was going to try when I get around to it. I've had to adjust a few settings for V9.1 to work well on Win7 but not bad overall. The setting that helped me most was display related and you cleared a value in a setting accessed from the Mastercam folder in the Win Start menu. My display was all wonky on a wide screen monitor until someone mentioned that setting.
    The lock-up, freeze thing has been the only one I've had any ongoing difficulty with.

I run 'Mill' in XP sp2 or 3 compatibility mode, I had no problem running 'Lathe' without any compatibility difficulties but I run that in XP compatibility mode also.

JohnF

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Infinite Loop View Post
    It very well could be sleep or hibernate. I assist our site's IT manager and we have just about all those features turned off because the have a habit of messing with applications.

1) Totally disable all screen savers.
    2) Disable computer sleep. This is different from display sleep.
    3) Disable hibernate completely. This is the really important one; it's more invasive than computer sleep.

For all our cam workstations we set the displays to sleep after a time. This has never caused us any issues at all. We have completely disabled computer sleep and hibernation since they have caused us a great deal of problems in the past. You didn't mention which version of windows you have but, assuming you're on windows 7, the first two settings are in the Power section of control panel but hibernate takes a bit more digging.

I don't think you can disable hibernate from the control panel but you can do it from the command line.

Type this in command line window:
    powercfg.exe /hibernate off

After you do that you can delete the hibernate file which is no longer used and and can be quite large.
    Hiberfil.sys