584,842 active members*
4,567 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

UCCNC and Linux

I have taken all the butt %$@#*&(% from Microsoft I can take, and after the latest update to Windows 10 1903 it has wrecked several programs. I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE, THIS WINDOWS 10 HAS TO COME OFF!!!! Ahh that feels better.

I am currently running Win 10 with Win 7 in a VMWare virtual OS, to do various things, but I want to replace the Win 10 with Linux, and still run all my programs for the CNC natively from Linux.

Will the UCCNC software work with Linux, or am I going to have to run it from a virtual Win 7 OS? I just can't handle a PC that restarts itself and updates itself as it pleases. I need to get back to a stable main OS.
    If my post is missing an 'nt you might have to add it yourself.

Re: UCCNC and Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    I have taken all the butt %$@#*&(% from Microsoft I can take, and after the latest update to Windows 10 1903 it has wrecked several programs. I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE, THIS WINDOWS 10 HAS TO COME OFF!!!! Ahh that feels better.

I am currently running Win 10 with Win 7 in a VMWare virtual OS, to do various things, but I want to replace the Win 10 with Linux, and still run all my programs for the CNC natively from Linux.

Will the UCCNC software work with Linux, or am I going to have to run it from a virtual Win 7 OS? I just can't handle a PC that restarts itself and updates itself as it pleases. I need to get back to a stable main OS.
    You can disable the Windows updates in Windows 7 and then it will never download updates and will never update anything and will never restart itself.
    You do not have to install Linux for that, just install Windows 7 and disable the updates.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    You can disable the Windows updates in Windows 7 and then it will never download updates and will never update anything and will never restart itself.
    You do not have to install Linux for that, just install Windows 7 and disable the updates.
    No my issue isn't with Win 7, I know I can control it to a large degree, my issue is with the abomination that is Win 10. I bought a new laptop recently to replace my old Win 7 laptop and it came pre installed with Win 10. Due to the back room deal between MS and Intel you can't downgrade to Win 7 because the hardware just won't let you. I am so over Win 10 now. I want to put the Linux on the bare metal so I have an OS that won't reboot the PC at will like Windows 10 does. With Win 10 they have removed the option to stop updates, so they are forced on you, and then it reboots as it sees fit.

If I put Linux on the bare metal I can still use VMWare Workstation to run my virtual Win 7 like I do now. But I am currently running my drawing program, my CAD / CAM and UCCNC all from Windows 10. I would like to run UCCNC directly on Linux if that is possible, otherwise I will run it on the virtual Win 7, but either way Win 10 has to go.

Can't you just partition the hard drive cleaning Windows 10 off and installing Windows 7.? I mean instead of downgrading just deleting Windows 10 and installing 7?

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    Can't you just partition the hard drive cleaning Windows 10 off and installing Windows 7.? I mean instead of downgrading just deleting Windows 10 and installing 7?
    Nope the new Intel processors won't physically allow you to install Win 7 on the bare metal, otherwise Win 10 would have been gone day 1.

Why don't you look at Linuxcnc and be done with it? I have to say I used to love Windows but I truly hate it now!
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Before doing anything it might be worth downloading a Linux distro that will run live.Once up and running you can try installing UCCNC under Wine.If it works-problem solved.If not you haven't lost too much.If what I have outlined appears to be gibberish you may need to do a little homework first.

Alternatively,take a look at LinuxCNC.

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    Before doing anything it might be worth downloading a Linux distro that will run live.Once up and running you can try installing UCCNC under Wine.If it works-problem solved.If not you haven't lost too much.If what I have outlined appears to be gibberish you may need to do a little homework first.

Alternatively,take a look at LinuxCNC.
    So there is no native Linux version of UCCNC?
    No problems running it emulated if need be. I actually have an old touch screen cash register computer a friend gave me some time ago. Maybe it is time to put XP on it and switch over to my UC300ETH-5LPT

be aware of the computing power uccnc needs. i had tried 2 older dual core computers but uccnc would occasionally not find the eth400 board on startup. cncdrive said that can happen, a dual core is right on the border of computing power needed.
    michael

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    So there is no native Linux version of UCCNC?
    No problems running it emulated if need be. I actually have an old touch screen cash register computer a friend gave me some time ago. Maybe it is time to put XP on it and switch over to my UC300ETH-5LPT
    I tried a quick search and found nothing to suggest that here might be a Linux version.I would suggest,as others have,that you might try downloading LinuxCNC and giving it a trial as a live installation to see if it might be suitable for your purposes.You won't be finding too many businesses recommending it because its a free piece of software and there isn't any money to be made from it.As I said in my last posting the possibility of re-partitioning your HD exists in addition to running windows software under Wine.I haven't yet found anything that won't run under Wine but I tend to use Windows software as a solution of last resort.There are still people who seem to believe that Linux is still dominated by a control line interface and while it can be run this way there are distros that look and feel just like Windows for those who like to familiar interface.They just carry less bloatware and have a great record of stability.Take a look at DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD. . For hardware that isn't the latest and greatest ,something like Xubuntu might be good and it was the distro that LinuxCNC was provided with.

Quote Originally Posted by neptunier View Post
    be aware of the computing power uccnc needs. i had tried 2 older dual core computers but uccnc would occasionally not find the eth400 board on startup. cncdrive said that can happen, a dual core is right on the border of computing power needed.
    michael
    All good got plenty of processing and RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    I tried a quick search and found nothing to suggest that here might be a Linux version.I would suggest,as others have,that you might try downloading LinuxCNC and giving it a trial as a live installation to see if it might be suitable for your purposes.You won't be finding too many businesses recommending it because its a free piece of software and there isn't any money to be made from it.As I said in my last posting the possibility of re-partitioning your HD exists in addition to running windows software under Wine.I haven't yet found anything that won't run under Wine but I tend to use Windows software as a solution of last resort.There are still people who seem to believe that Linux is still dominated by a control line interface and while it can be run this way there are distros that look and feel just like Windows for those who like to familiar interface.They just carry less bloatware and have a great record of stability.Take a look at DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD. . For hardware that isn't the latest and greatest ,something like Xubuntu might be good and it was the distro that LinuxCNC was provided with.
    I wanted Windows 10 gone so I blew away the whole drive and did a clean install of Mint 19.1. Went to the VMWare website and just downloaded the Linux version of Workstation 15 and fired back up my Windows 7 virtual machine. It might be easier just to setup a few different virtual machines for specific uses. Not that I think I will ever want Windows 10 back on the PC but I have the recovery USB I can install to a virtual machine if I really need to. I made sure to get the OEM key before I blew it away. I previously tried running UCCNC from the virtual machine and it was fine. Can always have a look at LinuxCNC now I have Linux installed.

There are detailed guideines for installing LinuxCNC with Linux Mint over on the LinuxCNC forum.As a matter of curiosity,did all your peripherals work immediately after the installation?I remember the bad old days of Windows when a new install meant spending most of a weekend installing drivers and rebooting many times.I hope the current generation of Windows is a bit better than that-I know Linux Mint is.

Just be aware that while you can run Linuxcnc on a VM, you can't use it to run a real machine.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

If you upgraded your retail home edition of Windows 10 to Pro you would have better luck. Having said that I gave my Windows 10 Pro computer to my wife and all I use is Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, on all 4 of my machines. Two are dedicated to machines, but I am not your usual computer user I started with MS-DOS and I know what I am doing.

You can try Linux if you want but I found all the programs I really needed to use for CNC and design only ran on Windows or Apple.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

It not hard to disable the Windows update service. This solves the issue. I've been on W10 Enterprise at 1709 (i think) for some time. PC uptime is probably many months at this point.

https://wiki.nus.edu.sg/display/DA/H...+in+Windows+10

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    It not hard to disable the Windows update service. This solves the issue. I've been on W10 Enterprise at 1709 (i think) for some time. PC uptime is probably many months at this point.

https://wiki.nus.edu.sg/display/DA/H...+in+Windows+10
    Its not in the Retail or Home version of Windows 10 however, need to have the Pro or better as I said above.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

What's not in the retail and home versions? The update service? I don't see where you've mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    What's not in the retail and home versions? The update service? I don't see where you've mentioned it.
    It was about NOT doing the updates in Windows 10. Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise version which you have allow for disabling.

Was in the post just above.... Its not hard to disable the Windows update service. This solves the issue. I've been on W10 Enterprise at 1709 (i think) for some time. PC uptime is probably many months at this point.

You are incorrect.

For Home users you can still turn off the update services using the instructions I provided. You can not turn them off via setting app/control panel, which is probably why you are confused. It should be noted there are also a number of third party apps the prevent W10 updates as well.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-...-in-windows-10

Page 1 of 2 12